Jerry Steward, the original owner of Leisure Line tried and did the same thing with a CO detector.
We at LLS built and sold a device that was wired into a gas alarm and would shut the stove down if anything happened. I had called many CO alarms mfgs and was told that it could be done but was placed on the back shelf because of liability. So after much searching I ended up with a company from Mexico that was willing to build me a sample. I paid over $500.00 for the sample (one of a kind) and started to work. I was going to make burning coal safe for all. WHAT A JOKE. I spent many thousands of dollars to have plastic boxes made just to hold it, more money for relays, wiring etc, etc. After I had it I couldn't sell it to dealers. I was told that it would scare the customer away. My insurance people told me that 1 failure would be a huge law suit. So after butting my head against the wall for months, I gave the idea up. I think the system we have is ass backwards. Saving lives needs to come before law suit money and personal feelings.