"PUBLIC MEETING – Usibelli’s Wishbone Hill Mining Permit Renewal
Tuesday, November 15
Sutton Elementary School
The Department of Natural Resources has announced a public meeting on the renewal of Usibelli’s mining permit for Wishbone Hill. PLEASE ATTEND THE MEETING on November 15, 6:00 p.m. at the Sutton Elementary School, and show your support for Usibelli and the Wishbone Hill project.
It is the “silent majority” that often gets left behind. PLEASE make your voice heard. People opposed to responsible resource development, which supports a vibrant economy, will certainly attend to oppose the renewal of the permit. It is critical that citizens who support new jobs, a vibrant economy, responsible environmental regulations, and dependable resource development, show up and demonstrate to the State of Alaska that coal mining has a future in the Mat-Su Borough.
Points to consider:
Facts about Usibelli Coal Mine and the Wishbone Hill Project:
· Usibelli Coal Mine (UCM) is an Alaskan owned and operated coal mining company
· UCM has mined coal in Healy, Alaska since 1943
· UCM has provided jobs for Alaskans for nearly 70 years
· UCM began restoring previously mined lands before it was required by the government
· Coal exploration at Wishbone Hill began in 1983
· The mine was completely permitted by 1992
· This mining permit is renewed every five years
· Wishbone Hill is a zero discharge mine
· Usibelli estimates 500,000 tons of coal will be mined each year
· UCM plans to employ between 75-125 people
· The average wage in Alaska’s mining industry is $94,000 a year (Alaska Miners Association, McDowell Group 2011)
Please contact me if you have questions, or need additional information.
Lorali M. Simon
External Affairs Manager, Wishbone Hill
(907) 982-6744 cell
(907) 745-6083 fax
634 S Bailey St. #204, Palmer, AK 99645"