Coal-trol shuts off

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: imshearer On: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I think I have a problem with an intermittent power venter. It was on when I noticed the stove had shut down, but maybe it wasn't when the stove actually shut down. Just as I had the starter bag lit the power venter went off for no apparent reason. I have checked all the wire connections inside the switch box and it is off. And now, just as I was typing the last sentence it just came back on by itself. What is up? :x
imshearer
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer Back Vent

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: MURDOC1 On: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:14 pm

When you cleaned it did you also oil the blower motor?
MURDOC1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska/Franco Belge/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: S.S. 2/ 144.08.02/ Mag Stoker

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: imshearer On: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:19 pm

I did using synthetic oil. The vent is still running. I can turn it on and off. Everything seems normal, but it definitely shut off on me and then came back on about 5 minutes later.
imshearer
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer Back Vent

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: MURDOC1 On: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Perhaps a loose connection inside the motor-mounted conduit box? Or possibly the motor is overheating and shutting down due to thermal overload which is entirely possible if running the motor at a very slow speed for extended periods, especially when venting hot gasses... Did you use the Field Controls 'exclusive' SWG LUBE, comes in the small squeeze bottle??? It is said to be the ONLY oil to ever use in these things...
MURDOC1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska/Franco Belge/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: S.S. 2/ 144.08.02/ Mag Stoker

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: imshearer On: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:35 pm

I know what it says, but I did not use the exclusive SWG lube oil. Those claims usually are a racket to get you to buy an overpriced accessory. I used a synthetic lubrication oil that I bought for my air compressor. I will have to go outside and check the exterior connections tomorrow. Until then, back to burning oil. :x
imshearer
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer Back Vent

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: MURDOC1 On: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:37 pm

imshearer wrote:I know what it says, but I did not use the exclusive SWG lube oil. Those claims usually are a racket to get you to buy an overpriced accessory. I used a synthetic lubrication oil that I bought for my air compressor. I will have to go outside and check the exterior connections tomorrow. Until then, back to burning oil. :x


Oil sucks!!!

Let us know what you find on the connections etc...
MURDOC1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska/Franco Belge/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: S.S. 2/ 144.08.02/ Mag Stoker

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: imshearer On: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:40 pm

I turned the vent fan on with no fire and ran it for an hour with no problem. Then I re-ignited the stove and after about 30 minutes the vent fan went dead again. I went out removed the cover and checked all connections. Everything looked fine but the motor housing was very hot - so much than I could only keep my finger on it for a moment. Something tells me my fan motor is going bad. Can I disassemble and repair or should I just replace? Any other thoughts??
imshearer
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer Back Vent

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: MURDOC1 On: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:26 am

imshearer wrote:I turned the vent fan on with no fire and ran it for an hour with no problem. Then I re-ignited the stove and after about 30 minutes the vent fan went dead again. I went out removed the cover and checked all connections. Everything looked fine but the motor housing was very hot - so much than I could only keep my finger on it for a moment. Something tells me my fan motor is going bad. Can I disassemble and repair or should I just replace? Any other thoughts??


I would seek a replacement blower motor to get back in business and YES I would also purchase the special SWG lube that is supposed to be used for oiling, not saying that is the reason you are having trouble, just saying... Swap out the blower motors and then if you want to take the bad one apart and attempt to repair it so be it, then maybe you would have a spare if successful... Thats what I would do...
MURDOC1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska/Franco Belge/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: S.S. 2/ 144.08.02/ Mag Stoker

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: imshearer On: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks again for the help Adam. I have ordered a new blower motor along with the SWG lube. Should be up and running again in a couple days.

Ian
imshearer
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer Back Vent

Re: Coal-trol shuts off

PostBy: MURDOC1 On: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:43 pm

imshearer wrote:Thanks again for the help Adam. I have ordered a new blower motor along with the SWG lube. Should be up and running again in a couple days.

Ian


Glad to help Ian, let us know how it all works out...
MURDOC1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska/Franco Belge/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: S.S. 2/ 144.08.02/ Mag Stoker