Well its wait and see time now.
I cut in 2 - 4x12 registers, 1 on each side of the fireplace on the first floor almost directly above the stove in the basement. I cut in a 14x14 return for the basement door that is in the center of the house. This house was built without duct work, it has radiators connected to an oil fired boiler. There are however small 3" flex ducts ran from the stand alone a/c, so I unhooked the first floor a/c ducts in the basement to see if it will help as individual room returns.
The stove is only running around 175* now and I will find out if it was all in vain later tonight after it has had a chance to balance out and the stove has more heat in it.
The registers actually look very nice next to the fireplace, so if it doesnt work as hoped it wasnt a total loss. I may look for a stove later that lends itself to running duct work from it, at that point I could definately utilize the registers. I plan to move the baseheater upstairs to the first floor next year after a total refurb of the stove and a new hearth is installed. A gas fired boiler for the radiators is in the long term plans, but money isnt as free as it was before the Marriage, go figure
Thanks for all the help everyone.