round white honeywell thermostat

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: Freddy On: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:46 am

oilman wrote:Stay away from any "power stealing " thermostat- this would be a digital style that does not have 2 to 4 aaa or aa batteries. They don't work right and they can also damage oil and gas controls on conventional heating units.



I am of just the opposite opinion. I would never have a thermostat that forced me to spend $4 every year or so. I purposely look for thermostats that do not need batteries replaced and that are powered by the same 24 volts AC that powers the boiler controls. I have never known one to damage controls, nor do I understand how one could, nor how you would know or prove that a thermostat caused damage to controls.

A thermostat should last about forever, but, for sure, this transition to non mercury thermostats has not been good. There's a bunch of junk out there and most manufacturers have had growing pains and a learning curve that is taking them off the road. Basically, stick with a name brand and try to pay more than $10 for a one.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:50 am

I bought one of those new thermostats that were programmable for 7 days for my oil furnace the year before I bought a coal stove. The furnace only ran in the morning and the evening. It was programmed to run every 45 minutes. It was lucky it ran every two hours. I'd come home from work and it'd be cold. I took the new one off the wall and put the original rectangular one in that has a mercury switch. It's pretty sad that the one from 30 years ago works better than the new one.

But now, I don't even use it. It's just a decoration on the wall.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: franco b On: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:21 am

Pretty hard to beat a mercury switch for reliability.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea


Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: ytseman3 On: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Hmm, maybe I will just stick with the stock manual thermostat. I looked on ebay for vintage heating thermostats and actually found an old round honeywell with mercury.. maybe i'll bid lol. Would that work with the Keystoker 90?
ytseman3
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Vent free propane fireplace+electric baseboard

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: oilman On: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Freddy wrote:
oilman wrote:Stay away from any "power stealing " thermostat- this would be a digital style that does not have 2 to 4 aaa or aa batteries. They don't work right and they can also damage oil and gas controls on conventional heating units.



I am of just the opposite opinion. I would never have a thermostat that forced me to spend $4 every year or so. I purposely look for thermostats that do not need batteries replaced and that are powered by the same 24 volts AC that powers the boiler controls. I have never known one to damage controls, nor do I understand how one could, nor how you would know or prove that a thermostat caused damage to controls.

A thermostat should last about forever, but, for sure, this transition to non mercury thermostats has not been good. There's a bunch of junk out there and most manufacturers have had growing pains and a learning curve that is taking them off the road. Basically, stick with a name brand and try to pay more than $10 for a one.


I'm referring to digital set-back thermostats. Cheap ones. I am not referring to snap action or mercury.
I know that they damaged certain 7184 series primary relays.
I didn't realize you were a heating contractor . You must be to be so sure of things.
I have been working on heating equipment since 1980 and dealing with homeowner installed Big Box thermostat problems for about 20 years now. You?
oilman
 

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: carlherrnstein On: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Mercury thermostats were the standard for years there simple and very reliable. However they have become obsolete mainly because they have mercury in them and its probably cheaper to make a circuit board.

Ps. My dad turned the mercury thermostat on for his propain boiler so he could lower its lowest temp to 40F (house I'd heated by a corn stove) you can't do that with a digital :D
carlherrnstein
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: Freddy On: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:23 am

oilman wrote:I have been working on heating equipment since 1980 and dealing with homeowner installed Big Box thermostat problems for about 20 years now. You?


I'm a licensed plumber & have messed with heating systems since 1973. In Maine a plumber can do everything a burner man can do except place a boiler in it's final spot and light a burner for the first time. I did hundreds of heat system installs and "no heat" calls through the 90's but not so much now. Now I don't even practice plumbing other than my own stuff and to help friends & neighbors.

You mentioned it was the cheap thermostats that gave grief. I agreed with that buy suggesting to buy a brand name and not buy cheap ones.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: oilman On: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:32 am

Freddy wrote:
oilman wrote:I have been working on heating equipment since 1980 and dealing with homeowner installed Big Box thermostat problems for about 20 years now. You?


I'm a licensed plumber & have messed with heating systems since 1973. In Maine a plumber can do everything a burner man can do except place a boiler in it's final spot and light a burner for the first time. I did hundreds of heat system installs and "no heat" calls through the 90's but not so much now. Now I don't even practice plumbing other than my own stuff and to help friends & neighbors.

You mentioned it was the cheap thermostats that gave grief. I agreed with that buy suggesting to buy a brand name and not buy cheap ones.


I seem to have the best luck with White Rogers. However, the 5000/6000 series Honeywells are pretty good. I also like the Luxpro PSD010.
Those thermostats sold in retail are not the same as the others. I guess they are cheaper made or something. Just like the Moen or American STD. et.al. fixtures are
specially made for HD and Lowes. Not like Pro models.
oilman
 

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: ytseman3 On: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:42 pm

I found a new old stock Honeywell T87 mercury therm on eBay and won it. Should get here tomorrow, I'll hook it up and post how it works out.
ytseman3
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Vent free propane fireplace+electric baseboard

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: ytseman3 On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:41 am

Ok, the old vintage T87 is hooked up. It works but it looks like I have to play around with the heat anticipator, any tips on setting this?
The therm is located upstairs, the stove is downstairs if that matters.
ytseman3
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Vent free propane fireplace+electric baseboard

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: McGiever On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 am

McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: ytseman3 On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 pm



Thanks for the link! Looks like I need to buy an ammeter.
ytseman3
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Vent free propane fireplace+electric baseboard

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: ytseman3 On: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 pm

I checked the amps with a meter (digital multimeter set to AC and 0-10 amp lead connection, not milli-amp) I get 0.0065 so I assume this means I should set the anticipator to the .6 setting? Keystoker told me to set it at 9.... which isn't listed on the scale, unless between .10 and .12 but that is nearly at the longest burn time of the scale. This is my first time using a meter, so not familiar with the settings but after reading the instructions it seemed that I have it set up right to take the reading.
ytseman3
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Vent free propane fireplace+electric baseboard

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: franco b On: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Where you have it set is just a starting point. What you want is to avoid too short running times which are inefficient yet if too long the room temperature will not hold closely. So you will have to experiment to find the ideal spot. It should hold within 2 degrees.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: round white honeywell thermostat

PostBy: ytseman3 On: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:34 am

franco b wrote:Where you have it set is just a starting point. What you want is to avoid too short running times which are inefficient yet if too long the room temperature will not hold closely. So you will have to experiment to find the ideal spot. It should hold within 2 degrees.


Ahh, ok I see. Well, I will have to tweek it in the fall I guess. Looks like I'll be finally shutting her down for the summer very soon. At least I have the therm in the ballpark ready to go for the next heating season. Now it's time to save up for coal.... :D

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
ytseman3
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Vent free propane fireplace+electric baseboard