I'm ready to bring the stove back into the house.
The ash pan, while it didn't turn out to be the most beautiful piece of art work, should work better. It ended up being 4-1/2", .. up from the original 3" pan. In addition, I beveled the back lower corner, as the pan fit pretty snug and any ash or coal lying on the floor of the stove, would prevent getting the pan in all the way and closing the door. Also, I added a pair of handles, so that the pan could be carried as a picnic basket, rather than a box of pizza! To make the pan a bit more presentable, I painted it.
One more thing: After putting the gasket in the ash door, I realized I had set the hinges a bit too close, so I removed the hinges from the stove and welded them back on with a little more clearance.
As soon as I get a snack, I'll fire up the tractor and bring it back in.
Edit: The stove is back in.
I had some brick, which were cracked, so I thought I'd try repairing them, to see how it worked. The old brick used to "burn through", so they needed to be replaced. I used some "High Heat mortar caulking" from Lowe's. If it doesn't work, I'll get new ones.