Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:07 am

This morning I found my barometric damper stuck open. Fortunately the manometer was reading 0,02" of draft, even with it wide open. Any suggestions regarding how to cure this?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:12 am

Is there flyash buildup on the backside if the flap?
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 am

There is some, but it appears minimal. I'm not experienced in this. It seems to be less than 1/16".
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:18 am

Would some light oil on the hinge pins be a good idea, or would that just attract and accumulate fly ash and then gum up and make for a bigger problem?

What is the purpose of the Philips head screw just above and to the left of the left side hinge pin?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:28 am

Check the small tab on the blade where it goes through the housing, it's used as a stop. Unfortunately it can stick if it comes in contact with the housing and jam it. You can give it a little clearance with a pair of needle nose pliers.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:31 am

coaledsweat wrote:Check the small tab on the blade where it goes through the housing, it's used as a stop. Unfortunately it can stick if it comes in contact with the housing and jam it. You can give it a little clearance with a pair of needle nose pliers.


coaldsweat, where is this tab located? Do I need to remove the baro to access it?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: whistlenut On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:36 am

Easier to remove it, and a small job. It will give an idea in how the damper works also. Here is another thought....based on things we see frequently: Some overzealous installers will put a few screws too close to the flapper radius and the thing will not open adequately or not at all...... I know common sense will be a difficult commodity as we go forth in this society, but try an once or two. :idea: :idea:
whistlenut
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:47 am

10-4 on removing the baro for a good cleaning and inspection. I don't think a drop of light oil on the hinge points will hurt anything. Just don't go nuts and wipe off any excess.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:00 am

Are their any screws that protrude in too far that are catching ? The small tab, seems to me more to keep the flap verticle when closed. The tab on mine bent when I had started a new fire and made my only hiccup (boom) :sick: :mad:
AA130FIREMAN
 
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:07 am

I jiggled it a bit and wiped the back side off as well as I could (which was not very well), and now it seems to be working fine again. I wonder if a spray of some dry Teflon powder might benefit the hinge pins. I seem to recall seeing finely powdered Teflon in a small squirt bottle with a needle thin dispensing stem years ago somewhere. Either that or I was just dreaming.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: Coalfire On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:16 pm

I posted about this last year, you need to file the edge right below the pins. it hangs up, I went from the cheap box store baro to the type M. Never had a problem with the cheap one :?




Eric


Here is the link Baro Damper Problem
Coalfire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: McGiever On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:10 pm

lsayre wrote:Would some light oil on the hinge pins be a good idea, or would that just attract and accumulate fly ash and then gum up and make for a bigger problem?

What is the purpose of the Philips head screw just above and to the left of the left side hinge pin?



Do NOT mess w/ that phillips screw...*watkindr* has already mentioned his crisis after doing that one. It's the factory calibration...sort of a mid-scale setting or something. He ended up buying a new one after he messed w/ it. :idea: :!:
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Coalfire wrote:I posted about this last year, you need to file the edge right below the pins. it hangs up, I went from the cheap box store baro to the type M. Never had a problem with the cheap one :?

Eric

Here is the link Baro Damper Problem


Eric, are you talking about taking a file to the extreme outer edge of the flapper (damper proper) in the vicinity of the hinge pins?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:42 pm

McGiever wrote:Do NOT mess w/ that phillips screw...*watkindr* has already mentioned his crisis after doing that one. It's the factory calibration...sort of a mid-scale setting or something. He ended up buying a new one after he messed w/ it. :idea: :!:


OK, no messing with the Philips head screw. Thanks for posting this!!! I've been keeping my eye on it, and so far it is functioning normally again.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Found my Fields Type M Baro stuck wide open

PostBy: Coalfire On: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:31 pm

lsayre wrote:
Coalfire wrote:I posted about this last year, you need to file the edge right below the pins. it hangs up, I went from the cheap box store baro to the type M. Never had a problem with the cheap one :?

Eric

Here is the link Baro Damper Problem


Eric, are you talking about taking a file to the extreme outer edge of the flapper (damper proper) in the vicinity of the hinge pins?




Yes file the edge of the flap itself below the hinge pins



Eric
Coalfire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Visit Lehigh Anthracite