Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: SteveZee On: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Anther fine product out of Taunton, Mass, Quakers, Glenwoods, Heralds, all came from silver city on the Taunton river. Some of the best of the New England stoves.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: echos67 On: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Franco, that is a pretty neat stove with the enamel on it. I would be interested in hearing how you like it once you have it set up.
echos67
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: franco b On: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:05 pm

echos67 wrote:Franco, that is a pretty neat stove with the enamel on it. I would be interested in hearing how you like it once you have it set up.


Will do. I am interested in how the grate works. The center is directly driven by the crank and the grate on either side of center is driven by a gear. Because of necessary clearance in the gears, the side grates move much less than the center if shaken back and forth in a small arc. This may not have been intended however because there is a cast pip on the crank that contacts a raised portion on the body when making a one third turn of the crank. It may have been intended to make that full sweep. Will see when I have it running.

I will make a revue detailing the good and bad.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:57 am

franco b wrote:
echos67 wrote:Franco, that is a pretty neat stove with the enamel on it. I would be interested in hearing how you like it once you have it set up.


Will do. I am interested in how the grate works. The center is directly driven by the crank and the grate on either side of center is driven by a gear. Because of necessary clearance in the gears, the side grates move much less than the center if shaken back and forth in a small arc. This may not have been intended however because there is a cast pip on the crank that contacts a raised portion on the body when making a one third turn of the crank. It may have been intended to make that full sweep. Will see when I have it running.

I will make a revue detailing the good and bad.


Your correct Franco, that pip and flat is just like the detente cast into the front plate of my Glenwood range. When the pip on the shaker handle mates up to the detente, you are on one of the 3 flat sides of the tri grates. It's also useful for shaking against. Just an inch or two and back against the flat and it "vibrates" the coal bed and drops the ash out without spilling many coals.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: Tim On: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 pm

well here is my update on how much i LOVE my Antique stove....she is settin here just purrin away on this windy Febuary lake effect day ...bought 6" of snow blowin around and a wind chill in the single digits....guess what!..shop is toasty as i type this AND THE GLENWOOD #30 IS JUST SAYIN HMMMMM..."IT A BIT CHILLY"..guess I better make some heat!......primaries open 1/2 and secondaries at 1/8"back pipe closed and MPD closed..there are just BLUE LADIES DANCING and life is good!..ya cant ask for much more.
ANYONE that hasnt come to the darkside yet NEEDS TOO!...them glowin rocks are sure better than puttin more $ in the Arabs pockets so they can build another indoor ski slope in the middle of the frigin desert !!!....LOL
By the way the shop is settin at 73 degrees..all 48 foot of it..;)
Tim
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Oak #30

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Tim wrote:well here is my update on how much i LOVE my Antique stove....she is settin here just purrin away on this windy Febuary lake effect day ...bought 6" of snow blowin around and a wind chill in the single digits....guess what!..shop is toasty as i type this AND THE GLENWOOD #30 IS JUST SAYIN HMMMMM..."IT A BIT CHILLY"..guess I better make some heat!......primaries open 1/2 and secondaries at 1/8"back pipe closed and MPD closed..there are just BLUE LADIES DANCING and life is good!..ya cant ask for much more.
ANYONE that hasnt come to the darkside yet NEEDS TOO!...them glowin rocks are sure better than puttin more $ in the Arabs pockets so they can build another indoor ski slope in the middle of the frigin desert !!!....LOL
By the way the shop is settin at 73 degrees..all 48 foot of it..;)


Tim,
Nice and warm to read your post.These Glenwood are really amazing stoves.
BTW, your shop is 48 X ????? 1Ft or 5 Ft or what? :lol:
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: lobsterman On: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Yeah, she's a keeper. First really cold night on Cape Cod this winter, opened the primaries on the No. 6 to about 1/4 open (usually run them only a crack), barrel temp up to 520 and stack temp at 170. 2000 sq. ft. at 68-72 degrees. Life is good (sometimes LOL).
lobsterman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: joeq On: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:03 am

Don't have any experience to compare my hopper fed 1980s Surdiac, (is it considered "antique"?). Have a love hate relationship, at this point. Hate trying to get it going, (hopefully will get to remedy that from you guys). But when it runs, as it is right now, it warms my 2 story farmhouse like it's never been before. Put another thermostat upstairs in case it couldn't support that area of the house. What a waste of time. The upstairs is almost 10 degrees warmer. Can't wait to actually need to use it next year. This winter has been fairly mild.
joeq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Stove/Furnace Make: Oil fired
Stove/Furnace Model: Thermopride

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: nortcan On: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi joeq, do you have some photos of your ""antique"" stove? We love photos.
What is the problem with your stove?
More details get more solutions.
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: Chiefcamper On: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:43 pm

First solid fuel stovw I'vw ever owned, Godin. I'm Having a ball. It's taken a while to learn, but I've had one 12 day burn and my second burn is currently at 21 days. People said the stove had to be shut down and that it required too much maintenance, but I love it. It burns for 11 hours un-attended while I'm at work. I just need to put vents in the ceiling to lrt the 2nd floor get some heat and the downstairs cool down some. It''s about 80 down her w/ outside temps around 36F
Chiefcamper
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Heat N Glo
Stove/Furnace Model: Townsend II

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Outstanding Cc. :) Yep, those floor vents will make all the difference in the world.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: nortcan On: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Yes Fred is correct, air circulation is a must to have a more confortable house. Try to make an air loop circulation and you will see a more even temp. in the house.
Keep us informed on you results and a few photos.
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: joeq On: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 pm

nortcan wrote:Hi joeq, do you have some photos of your ""antique"" stove? We love photos.
What is the problem with your stove?
More details get more solutions.

Nortcan, i do have photos, but I'm still trying to learn this site.I don't see anywhere to post pix.I'll keep looking. The problem isn't the stove...It's the "operator". :oops: I think it worked!
Attachments
21212 005.jpg
(104.27 KiB) Viewed 9 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]33727[/nepathumb]
joeq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Stove/Furnace Make: Oil fired
Stove/Furnace Model: Thermopride

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:49 am

Those surdiac's were quite popular in the 80's. They are not antiques per se but just an older design that has faired quite well so far. There are still loads of them around and they sure are unique looking. Little Chalets.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Do you like your ANTIQUE stove?

PostBy: Chiefcamper On: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Geez I think I goofed up.

My Godin is an 1840's design, but the stove itself may be only twelve years old. So this is only an antique design. Here are the pics I've already posted up here. Hope the links work.

http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file ... &mode=view

http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file ... &mode=view

http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file ... &mode=view

http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file ... &mode=view
Chiefcamper
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Heat N Glo
Stove/Furnace Model: Townsend II

Visit Hitzer Stoves