EFM 520 Auger

EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Ziggy On: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi All,
New to this part of the forum, I have enjoyed reading it for hours on end and have finally jumped in with the rest of you. I have just purchased an EFM 520 :) and am beginning to go over it and recondition as needed prior to installation. I am in need of a number of gaskets, and the auger bushing which I intend to source new. I only have the burner auger which is broken off at the pot end. I am capable of repairing and rebuilding the support and drive end of this auger but still am in need of an extension to get into my bin. My question, (first of many I expect) is if there is a supply of used auger available at any savings compared to new, or should I just buck up and get it over with? I don't mean to be cheap about this, but finances are very limited and any way I can reduce cost is desirable at this point. Thanks to all that participate here, I have already learned a lot and hope to contribute as I become more schooled.

Tom Zickefoose
Ziggy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey Tom, where do you live? Some guys have used augers & tubes on hand...who to call will probably depend on where you live.

I'd recommend skipping the auger repair and just getting a new one (or used if it fits the budget better).
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Ziggy On: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:11 pm

I just updated my profile, should have done it sooner. I am in Harleysville PA , roughly an hour North of Philadelphia. Thanks for the fast reply, I have read many of your posts and appreciate your wisdom.
Ziggy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:58 am

If you don't mink taking a drive to Ravine, I'm sure you can get what you need. Steve Wilhelm has always treated me well and had the parts I needed. 570-527-0992

You may even want to bring the entire stoker unit with you and have an experienced eye take a look.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: katman On: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:54 am

I'll add my endorsement of Steve. Great guy (he has a wonderful partner, too!) and he really knows his stuff.
katman
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Other Heating: Harman PB 105 Pellet Boiler

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:09 am

Yep, go see Steve.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Ziggy On: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks for the info, I called Steve and spoke to both him and his wife. Very personable and knowledgable! I am planning a trip to see him this weekend and will take my new treasure for him to see and evaluate.
Ziggy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Rob R. On: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:33 am

Excellent. Come next week you will be more knowledgeable and have the parts you need.

By the way, I know it is tempting to use steel pipe for a bin auger tube...resist the temptation and use aluminum or stainless.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Pa Dealer On: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Rob R. wrote:Excellent. Come next week you will be more knowledgeable and have the parts you need.

By the way, I know it is tempting to use steel pipe for a bin auger tube...resist the temptation and use aluminum or stainless.



Steel pipe or black pipe as its commenly called is what EFM supplies for bin extensions ,it works fine and alot cheaper than ss or alum.





R
Pa Dealer
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM DF 520
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Rob R. On: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Pa Dealer wrote:
Rob R. wrote:Excellent. Come next week you will be more knowledgeable and have the parts you need.

By the way, I know it is tempting to use steel pipe for a bin auger tube...resist the temptation and use aluminum or stainless.



Steel pipe or black pipe as its commenly called is what EFM supplies for bin extensions ,it works fine and alot cheaper than ss or alum.


R


Steel pipe is definitely the cheapest option, but if you there is a chance your coal will be damp...steel pipe will have a relatively short life compared to aluminum or stainless. I just replaced my steel bin feed pipe tonight. After one year of service with dry/sometimes damp coal it was corroded on the inside and making the auger turn harder than normal...enough to make the stoker louder than normal. Maybe this was an odd occurrence...your mileage may vary.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Mark (PA) On: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Using Black pipe here. 5th year with no issues to speak of.

My coal normally by the time it gets to the feed pipe is dry though. Only rarely would it still be damp or wet in my case.
Mark (PA)
 
Stove/Furnace Make: 1953 EFM SF-520 High Boy
Stove/Furnace Model: Fitzgibbon Boiler

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: stoker-man On: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:33 am

it's black pipe, but Schedule 40
stoker-man
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: MURDOC1 On: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Ziggy wrote:I just updated my profile, should have done it sooner. I am in Harleysville PA , roughly an hour North of Philadelphia.


Howdy neighbor!!! Just read the thread and noticed you are in Harleysville... Just wanted to say hello from the extreme southeast corner of the Township... Welcome aboard!!!
MURDOC1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska/Franco Belge/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: S.S. 2/ 144.08.02/ Mag Stoker

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: Ziggy On: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Howdy Adam! Glad to know there are like minded folks nearby. I am on Perkiomenville road, not far from the quarry.

I made the trek to see Steve Wilhelm and his bride Ann Marie...They are both even nicer than advertised and were most helpful. I also had the unexpected pleasure of meeting none other than Coal-berner himself when I arrived. I asked many questions and everyone was helpful in pointing me the way , so a big thanks to all of you. I am now resealing, painting and moving my new to me 520. I hope to install by next weekend or so.
Ziggy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Re: EFM 520 Auger

PostBy: coal berner On: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Ziggy wrote:Howdy Adam! Glad to know there are like minded folks nearby. I am on Perkiomenville road, not far from the quarry.

I made the trek to see Steve Wilhelm and his bride Ann Marie...They are both even nicer than advertised and were most helpful. I also had the unexpected pleasure of meeting none other than Coal-berner himself when I arrived. I asked many questions and everyone was helpful in pointing me the way , so a big thanks to all of you. I am now resealing, painting and moving my new to me 520. I hope to install by next weekend or so.

Well did you get that boiler in place and fired up yet its been a week now since you got the parts should be making heat now :lol:
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520