1948 Axeman 130

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Matthaus On: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:55 pm

I'll look when I get home on Friday Dave, not sure but I might have an extra plate with the GJ stuff.
Matthaus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:48 pm

Matthaus wrote:I'll look when I get home on Friday Dave, not sure but I might have an extra plate with the GJ stuff.



Thanks, Dave
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:54 pm

Is this a small one? Grainger has a prety good assortment of small motor mounts.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:40 am

coaledsweat wrote:Is this a small one? Grainger has a prety good assortment of small motor mounts.


Thanks, None for the 48 frame motor.I may be able to make something work if matt dosent have one . Dave
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: U235a4 On: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Can you take a picture of your center tube and post it either from the front (site cover end) or rear (fan end) if its apart.
U235a4
 
Stove/Furnace Make: 1958 Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 260M

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:24 pm

U235a4 wrote:Can you take a picture of your center tube and post it either from the front (site cover end) or rear (fan end) if its apart.



Sure it wil be after I get home tommorow (thur) night . Dave
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: gregolma On: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:35 am

Put a 1/3 hp motor on the anthratube. Mine came with a 1/4 hp motor which died after two years. I put in a spare which lasted one year. Two and half years ago, I bought a Magnatek 1/3 hp motor and it has given me no problems. I think the heat and the effort needed to start the blower and stoker is a little two much for the smaller motors. It also could be that the newer designs aren't as tough as the older motors were.
gregolma
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 1980 Anthratube 130

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:40 am

gregolma wrote:Put a 1/3 hp motor on the anthratube. Mine came with a 1/4 hp motor which died after two years. I put in a spare which lasted one year. Two and half years ago, I bought a Magnatek 1/3 hp motor and it has given me no problems. I think the heat and the effort needed to start the blower and stoker is a little two much for the smaller motors. It also could be that the newer designs aren't as tough as the older motors were.


Awhile back Greg was having motor issues, which he resolved. Just curious, what type of motor does it use? Some members were saying capacitor start, I was saying split phase, for more start-up torque, since the motor is under considerable load at start-up.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: gregolma On: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:02 pm

Capacitor start.
gregolma
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 1980 Anthratube 130

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Yanche On: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:15 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
gregolma wrote:Put a 1/3 hp motor on the anthratube. Mine came with a 1/4 hp motor which died after two years. I put in a spare which lasted one year. Two and half years ago, I bought a Magnatek 1/3 hp motor and it has given me no problems. I think the heat and the effort needed to start the blower and stoker is a little two much for the smaller motors. It also could be that the newer designs aren't as tough as the older motors were.


Awhile back Greg was having motor issues, which he resolved. Just curious, what type of motor does it use? Some members were saying capacitor start, I was saying split phase, for more start-up torque, since the motor is under considerable load at start-up.
You have got it wrong. Capacitor start motors have more starting torque than split phase. On single phase power there are several ways to start a motor. Split phase is the least expensive way, it's done by dual windings in which a phase shift in the current occurs because one winding is a smaller gauge wire, hence larger resistance, which all results in enough of a starting torque to get the motor started. Split phase motors have LOW starting torque because you only get a very small phase change due to the different winding resistance. In capacitor start motors the capacitor provides a much larger current phase shift, hence, capacitor start motors have much LARGER starting torque. Both motors have switches to remove the starting winding once the motor gets up to near full RPM. If I were to need a replacement motor on my AHS boiler which comes with an open frame 1/2 HP capacitor start motor I would replace it with and totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motor. A sealed motor will have longer lifetime. I would also remove the motor bearings and re-grease them with high temperature grease, unless I could verify from the motor manufacture the specs on the grease.
Yanche
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: gregolma On: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:26 pm

I think the problem with the original motor is that is was split phase. The start winding went. I'll check on the Magnatek to see what type it is.
gregolma
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 1980 Anthratube 130

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:37 am

Yanche wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote:
gregolma wrote:Put a 1/3 hp motor on the anthratube. Mine came with a 1/4 hp motor which died after two years. I put in a spare which lasted one year. Two and half years ago, I bought a Magnatek 1/3 hp motor and it has given me no problems. I think the heat and the effort needed to start the blower and stoker is a little two much for the smaller motors. It also could be that the newer designs aren't as tough as the older motors were.


Awhile back Greg was having motor issues, which he resolved. Just curious, what type of motor does it use? Some members were saying capacitor start, I was saying split phase, for more start-up torque, since the motor is under considerable load at start-up.
You have got it wrong. Capacitor start motors have more starting torque than split phase. On single phase power there are several ways to start a motor. Split phase is the least expensive way, it's done by dual windings in which a phase shift in the current occurs because one winding is a smaller gauge wire, hence larger resistance, which all results in enough of a starting torque to get the motor started. Split phase motors have LOW starting torque because you only get a very small phase change due to the different winding resistance. In capacitor start motors the capacitor provides a much larger current phase shift, hence, capacitor start motors have much LARGER starting torque. Both motors have switches to remove the starting winding once the motor gets up to near full RPM. If I were to need a replacement motor on my AHS boiler which comes with an open frame 1/2 HP capacitor start motor I would replace it with and totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) motor. A sealed motor will have longer lifetime. I would also remove the motor bearings and re-grease them with high temperature grease, unless I could verify from the motor manufacture the specs on the grease.


Thanks for clearing that up for me. :idea:
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Restored waiting to get delivered to its new home . Hard to believe its 32yrs older than the one on the right . If I can figure out how to post a video I will . Dave
Attachments
aa130-1 042.jpg
(70.6 KiB) Viewed 80 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]3304[/nepathumb]
aa130-1 037.jpg
(65.03 KiB) Viewed 61 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]3305[/nepathumb]
aa130-1 038.jpg
(65.21 KiB) Viewed 59 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]3306[/nepathumb]
aa130-1 029.jpg
(66.2 KiB) Viewed 35 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]3307[/nepathumb]
aa130-1 039.jpg
(52.29 KiB) Viewed 18 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]3308[/nepathumb]
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emwHCuZ0thk . My first time posting on youtube . Not sure how this will work . Dave
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: 1948 Axeman 130

PostBy: coal berner On: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Flyer5 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emwHCuZ0thk . My first time posting on youtube . Not sure how this will work . Dave

Looks Great Dave Nice Job anybody buy it yet
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

cron