coalkirk wrote:You can't fix stupid. Anyone with a shred of common sense would not put ashes in anything combustible (cardboard box) or put them on a wood deck.
[I'm a very
occasional poster here...]
Yeah. I hesitate to "pile on" in such a horrific and tragic (and terrifying) situation, but this has had me going for a few days now.
Nothing can bring those unfortunate people back, and that man will have to spend the rest of his life thinking about this every single day, but, WOW!
He was the contractor, living in the house as he worked on it, and he PUT THE ASHES / EMBERS IN A COMBUSTIBLE CONTAINER AND LEFT THEM ON THE PORCH AGAINST THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE.
Good heaven, I still can't wrap my brain around it.
I put my ashes in a closed metal can as far from the house as possible - it would never occur to me to leave then in contact with the structure.
I also go around the house upstairs sometimes when the stove is really going, and feel the walls around the chimney, just to be sure they're cold.
Regarding that, and the subject of safety advice, several years ago near here, a very "fashionable" couple had a 1700s-era farmhouse they had just bought and fixed up, and were having a housewarming party with a raging fire in the huge fireplace. Someone noticed the walls around the chimney upstairs felt warm, so they MADE HOLES IN THE WALLS, STUCK IN VACUUM CLEANER HOSES, AND BLEW IN AIR FROM VACUUM CLEANERS TO COOL THEM DOWN. As many of us know, smoldering fire + air = great big fire. The insurance rebuilt the house quite nicely, though.
Happy New Year!