Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:11 am

IMGA0322.JPG
(88.86 KiB) Viewed 151 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Hitzer 503 hopper issue
[nepathumb]33863[/nepathumb]


Hi guys.

Anyone had experience with this issue ,,, Hitzer 503 hopper .. seems like weld has failed or plate is being "dissolved" ... stove is 3.5 yrs old so I think this should be covered under their warranty.

Any comments? You can see the weld failure + a small hole (~1/2" irregular shaped on read of hopper plate)...
davidmcbeth3
 
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:15 am

Oh, have just been running nut or pea anthracite coal through this puppy ...
davidmcbeth3
 
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:22 am

Never seen anything like that. Talk to where ever you got the stove or call Dean @ Hitzer 260-589-8536 or hitzer@adamswells.com--I'm sure they'll want to see some pix
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: Gian4 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 am

The hopper is a ware item. I had to replace mine but it wore along the bottom edge along the back wall of the hopper. I'm not sure if the top edge of your hopper is worn or the frame that the hopper fits in is worn. I'm sure Hitzer will work with you to make this right. Keep us posted.
Gian 4
Gian4
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: Hitzer503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Gian4 wrote:The hopper is a ware item. I had to replace mine but it wore along the bottom edge along the back wall of the hopper. I'm not sure if the top edge of your hopper is worn or the frame that the hopper fits in is worn. I'm sure Hitzer will work with you to make this right. Keep us posted.
Gian 4


I see that they sell the hopper as a separate part .. did you send the whole stove to Hitzer or do it yourself in the fireplace?

And at what age did you replace it (if you replaced it at all?)

And I cannot find how to replace it ... need a plasma cutter & welder to change or does it just pop off?
davidmcbeth3
 
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm

freetown fred wrote:Never seen anything like that. Talk to where ever you got the stove or call Dean @ Hitzer 260-589-8536 or hitzer@adamswells.com--I'm sure they'll want to see some pix



I'll call them on monday ... thanks for the contact info.
davidmcbeth3
 
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 pm

I've warped my hopper ring / boot on my 50-93. It was my own fault. I over fired the stove. I replaced the part at my expense, and never over fired again.
oliver power
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 pm

If you have a bolt at the front top of the hopper...
Looking from the front glass door...
Your hopper will slide out...
The older 503 had a non removable hopper...
CapeCoaler
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: Gian4 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:50 pm

To replace the hopper is a piece of cake. One bolt holds the hopper in its tracks. The bolt is in the front of the hopper. You'll see it when you open the glass front door. The nut that goes on the threaded end of the bolt is inside the hopper. You'll see it when you lift up the hopper cover. The insert does not need to come out. Just remove this bolt and the hopper slides right out. The New hopper slides in replace the bolt and your done. I think the hopper is like $30.00 to $40.00 bucks plus shipping. The bottom of mine began to get eaten away after 3 years.
Gian4
Gian4
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: Hitzer503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Gian4 wrote:To replace the hopper is a piece of cake. One bolt holds the hopper in its tracks. The bolt is in the front of the hopper. You'll see it when you open the glass front door. The nut that goes on the threaded end of the bolt is inside the hopper. You'll see it when you lift up the hopper cover. The insert does not need to come out. Just remove this bolt and the hopper slides right out. The New hopper slides in replace the bolt and your done. I think the hopper is like $30.00 to $40.00 bucks plus shipping. The bottom of mine began to get eaten away after 3 years.
Gian4



Thanks .. I'll make a youtube video and post it :)

I would guess then that the plate to close off the hopper to run bit is installed in the same manner ... bit is cheaper ... (not allowed to burn here though)

Thanks .. I see the bolt ... I'll see if Hitzer is willing to comp me the hopper. :)
davidmcbeth3
 
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: Gian4 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Plate to close off hopper?? There is no plate to close off hopper. When you want to burn wood or Bit. you remove the hopper. I don't think they'll warranty this because its a ware item but go for it. You never know unless you try.
Good luck
Gian4
Gian4
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: Hitzer503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Gian4 wrote:Plate to close off hopper?? There is no plate to close off hopper. When you want to burn wood or Bit. you remove the hopper. I don't think they'll warranty this because its a ware item but go for it. You never know unless you try.
Good luck
Gian4



Not familiar with burning bit but wouldn't one remove the hopped and close off the top w/ a plate? ... I always thought so,,,but if one does not have the hopper in then the burn cannot go up the hopper because it does not exist ..

I'll post back with the new hopper costs ...

The more you know, the less you blow !

Thanks for the info.
davidmcbeth3
 
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:36 pm

I too have replaced the hopper ring/boot ;) But I've never seen what David is showing in the pix. My 50-93 is damn near 20 yrs old with a non removable hopper--just the ring/boot is. Keep us posted on this one if you would.
oliver power wrote:I've warped my hopper ring / boot on my 50-93. It was my own fault. I over fired the stove. I replaced the part at my expense, and never over fired again.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:09 pm

The hopper is inside the stove...
The lid and gasket are on the outside of the stove...
Slide out the hopper and you see it is just a funnel...
No top or bottom...
The lid says behind and has the same function as before...
just no hopper below...
CapeCoaler
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Re: Hitzer warranty -- anyone with experience ?

PostBy: davidmcbeth3 On: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Yup..just talked with Dean @ Hitzer.

He showed some concern of the short life of the consumable platen hopper (not a weld failure .. just appears to be corrosion) so he said he would replace it (me to pay shipping).

So, in the spring I'll take it out and post some better pics ... its not a safety issue so I can continue burning.

I may use it as an opportunity to burn some bit (Dean told of some issues running bit -- clogging of pipes, needing to clean every few weeks etc.) so I'll have to think some more about running bit. (If I had a short pipe I would go for it but my pipe is ~ 30ft long & would be quite a mess to sweep if heavily clogged).

Onto to bit burning pages to learn more.

Its the first time Dean has seen this issue.
davidmcbeth3
 
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Visit Hitzer Stoves