NorthernIndiana wrote:Last spring my carbon monoxide detectors went off. I had a minimum amount of coal in the stove, so I just shook it all into the ash pan, held my breath and carried it outside. I seriously don't recommend doing this as I got a good whiff of the coals on my trip up the stairs and was about overcome. So that ended last burning season. I refired the stove 2 days ago. And all was well. Today I noticed my carbon monoxide detectors were registering values over 35 ppm. I tossed open all the windows and headed downstairs to the stove. My manometer showed good draft (at least with the windows open) and the co detectors returned to 0. I closed up the windows, left the baro open and still couldn't reproduce the carbon dioxide emission. I put a long hair (owned by my wife) in front of the baro and it was sucked in. So even with the baro wide open there's still enough draft there to suck a hair in. So what's going on here, any ideas? This is my third season with coal, so I'm still learning. Temps here in the 20's but no breeze. Thanks in advance!
Whoa, thats a tough one.. When you found the carbon monoxide detectors showing a reading, what did the manometer say? Is your mano always showing a good reading or does it get close to zero often? Your burning anthracite I assume? Don't tell anybody but I kinda like catching a wiff of coal smoke
I wonder if your pipe is getting clogged..