I was hit in the rear

I was hit in the rear

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 am

Not me, but our car was readended. My wife was driving, I was not there. 3 cars involved, First one hit a car that in turn hit the rear of ours. My wife didn't hit anyone, only slowing down to traffic. The innitial ramming party pulled over ,was on the phone for a couple minutes and then my wife said she burned rubber and took off.(HIT AND RUN) The party that hit us has insurance. My wife said the 2nd party's husband came to the accident (not being there first hand) and said HE HEARD THE CRASH, boy either he has bionic hearing, or someone was on the telly. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
AA130FIREMAN
 
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: 009to090 On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 am

anyone get a make/model/license plate number? :shock:
009to090
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:27 pm

First, I'm glad everyone is ok!

I always thought that the insurance companies should offer discounts to people who were willing to install a speed limiter (say 65mph) in their car and a dash mounted camera.
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.


Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: Freddy On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm glad no one was hurt. With a bit of luck they'll catch the hit & runner & throw the book at them.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Glad the wife's OK AA.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Get checked out and get x-rays to make sure you are really ok...
It may take a few hours to a few days for pain to set in if ya got hurt...
Been in two 'Hit from the rear while stopped' accidents...
Chiros have helped so has massage...
My back and neck are always in pain...
I should get PEZ dispensers for Advil an Tylenol :lol:
CapeCoaler
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: rberq On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:54 pm

AA130FIREMAN wrote:My wife said the 2nd party's husband came to the accident (not being there first hand) and said HE HEARD THE CRASH, boy either he has bionic hearing, or someone was on the telly. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Technically I think the car that hit you is financially responsible to you, even though it was pushed by somebody else. Just too hard to sort it all out, otherwise. And the lady who hit you may in reality BE at fault, even if not legally -- that is, she's gabbing on the phone, doesn't notice you have slowed, brakes hard when finally she does notice, next car back doesn't have time to react and hits her and she hits you.

Good that nobody was hurt. Aside from the aggravation, the rest is just metal.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Yep,

What Bob said. The party that hit you is responsible for your loss. You are also entitled to the "loss of use" of your vehicle while it is out of commission. Most insurers pay this "loss of use" as paying for a rental vehicle. You are entitled to rent the same type or class of vehicle as you had. Not some p.o.s. little car. Several years ago, my kid was hit by someone blowing a stop sign. The insurer paid for him to rent a 4 dr 4WD pickup for 6 weeks while his truck was in the shop.

And depending on the year of the vehicle, you may be eligible for the "diminished value" of the vehicle after it is repaired. DV is paid for 3 types of DV. Poor worknmanship by the repairer, DV by the insurance company not paying all that is needed to repair it properly, and also "Inherent DV" Inherent DV being caused by the fact that your vehicle has been in a collision and is not worth the same as a vehicle that had not been in a collision.

I sent you a PM, call if you have any other questions.



Rick
Rick 386
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:28 am

rberq wrote:
AA130FIREMAN wrote:My wife said the 2nd party's husband came to the accident (not being there first hand) and said HE HEARD THE CRASH, boy either he has bionic hearing, or someone was on the telly. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Technically I think the car that hit you is financially responsible to you, even though it was pushed by somebody else. Just too hard to sort it all out, otherwise. And the lady who hit you may in reality BE at fault, even if not legally -- that is, she's gabbing on the phone, doesn't notice you have slowed, brakes hard when finally she does notice, next car back doesn't have time to react and hits her and she hits you.

I thought so too, but the other party and my agent say's NOT . I wonder if the 2 insurance companies are in cahoots ?
AA130FIREMAN
 
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:13 am

I had similar thing happen to me. I was driving on the turnpike maybe 20 miles north of Norristown going north. The traffic was really bad, stop and go slowing down to as low as 20 and then back up to 65 - 70. I always keep myself a nice length so if I have to stop I can. I was in the passing lane and there was absolutely no where to go, this guy passes me on the right and slides into my safety zone in front of me like he he is going to get somewhere. :mad: Of course the instant he did that was when traffic came to complete stop. I slammed the brakes on and looked in the rear view mirror because if there was truck anywhere behind the foot was coming off the brake, it was going onto the accelerator and I was going into bumper code mode. :lol:

I hit the guy that had pulled in front of me, he had a hitch and that is what I hit. Wasn't very hard and put a little round dent in the plastic on the bumper, the front of his car the one in front of him he hit was banged up pretty good but still drivable. I restrained from beating him senseless and the three of us exchanged insurance info. A couple of weeks later I get a letter in the mail asking for money and we'll keep it between us. Right in the circular filing cabinet and I never heard anything about it again.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 am

Are we entering an age when in car cameras are going to be not only a requirement but a new care factory offered add on. I would love to have a set of permanently on and recording cameras that would record false police ripoffs, fender benders and worse, break ins etc. Does anybody have any recommendations? How far can I go at reasonable cost?
coalnewbie
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93,
Baseburners & Antiques: Invader 2 Wings Best, Glenwood #8 + Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:33 am

reasonable cost???? probably nothing more then an old POLAROID :clap: toothy talk about slaying oneself ;)
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: rberq On: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 am

Rick 386 wrote:And depending on the year of the vehicle, you may be eligible for the "diminished value" of the vehicle after it is repaired.

I think people are not widely aware of "diminished value" but it is very real. My niece's late-model car was hit while parked, lots of damage to the rear but just short of being totaled. It seemed to be fine after repair, but some months later she tried to sell it and everyone just walked away when they heard about the accident, or offered way below value. So she went back to the insurance company and asked for DV payment. They tried to blow her off, but my brother went in and said they were not dealing in "good faith" and he would be happy to take it up with the insurance commission. They changed their tune and paid up. He (my brother) says being accused of "bad faith negotiation" is a hot-button for insurers....
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: SMITTY On: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:30 am

Now that I know everyone is ok ..... ........ ,,,,, ........... :D



I was hit in the rear

I thought this was a post by my EX! :woot: :funny: :P


She was hit .......... ALOT! toothy
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: I was hit in the rear

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm

rberq wrote:
Rick 386 wrote:And depending on the year of the vehicle, you may be eligible for the "diminished value" of the vehicle after it is repaired.

I think people are not widely aware of "diminished value" but it is very real. My niece's late-model car was hit while parked, lots of damage to the rear but just short of being totaled. It seemed to be fine after repair, but some months later she tried to sell it and everyone just walked away when they heard about the accident, or offered way below value. So she went back to the insurance company and asked for DV payment. They tried to blow her off, but my brother went in and said they were not dealing in "good faith" and he would be happy to take it up with the insurance commission. They changed their tune and paid up. He (my brother) says being accused of "bad faith negotiation" is a hot-button for insurers....



That's because in a lot of states "bad faith" can result in treble the damages + attorney fees. And that can add up quite rapidly.

However a lot of policies no longer allow first party DV. The only way is through 3rd party claims. Funny how an insurance company does not want to admit there is DV but will sure try to use it against you if you had a prior loss and then the vehicle gets totalled in a second accident...........




Hey Smitty, was your "ex" totalled by the time you were done with her ???




Rick
Rick 386
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work