With all the nice baseburner stoves being bought and restored, I thought I'd update my lack of progress.
So one afternoon last fall, I decided to see how much of the paint I could remove from the assembled stove.
So I dug out the pressure-pot sand blaster and drug the stove outside of the shop.
The paint came off quite easily, the cleanup uncovered some hidden screw-heads. I now know how to remove some panels
on the stove body that I didn't know were removable.
The bare iron has a lot of cast-in detail, I think the stove will look very nice once I paint or stove-polish it.
I'm finding traces of nickel on a few parts, so I should be able to reconstruct the original appearance.
It seems that the size of the slots and gaps in the grates make me think that even nut size coal might fall through some gaps.
The idea that this little stove was designed to burn stove size coal seems like a mistake, In such a small firepot, I doubt that
more than 15-20 pieces of stove coal will fit in the pot.. I would think that a small decorative stove like this would be designed
to burn nut or pea sized coal which would provide a denser coal bed and a longer burn time.. It's not like you'd buy a little stove
then try to max out the heat output by using stove coal, A little stove like this would probably be used in a small room, not
intended to heat a whole house.
I will have to buy some large nut-size coal to try, once I get the stove restored. And put up a chimney to use.