I got my throat plate back from the steel yard this afternoon. Looks good and should work. There is,however one point of issue. The side brackets are 90° which they measured from the front. They were supposed to match the side angles. I did Tell them they had to be matched to the side angles so it could be bolted to my fireplace walls. I don't want to take it back to have it fixed because they'd likely charge me for it. As it stands I had failed to mention I needed several holes drilled in it along the front and the mounting brackets and when I did they put them in but I got charged more. My wife is a little annoyed because it cost more than originally quoted because of my failure to mention the additional holes.
What I'm thinking of doing is notching the bracket so it goes further and hope the one bolt into the fireplace wall will be enough to hold it up. Oh, the other issue is the angle for the back of the fireplace wall is wrong, I measured 60° and I think it's 45°. But considering the brackets are 1/8" steel I think I can force the angle when I bolt it in.
At any rate. I think it came out nice. I'll throw a coat of stove paint on the top and bottom get it bolted in place and then cement or silicone the gaps in the sides.
I did test fit it and I've got a little trimming to do on one side but it's not much.
Actually, looking at it again, I don't think I'll be able to use the other bracket at all it doesn't even have one edge that is flush with the edge of the plate. Unless I drill two new holes in the plate and add bolts from the top.
I'll figure something out.
- (130.33 KiB) Viewed 21 times
- View: New Page • Popup • Select:BBCode