Extended Down Time For The Boiler

Extended Down Time For The Boiler

PostBy: kstills On: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:10 am

Dave/Matt,

I'm shutting down for a week or two and draining my system. I can put a light in the fire box and coat everything with WD 40, but is there something I should do for the wetted areas of the boiler? A rust inhibitor perhaps, and then fill it back up with water while I work on it?

Thanks for the advice,
kstills
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line

Re: Extended Down Time For The Boiler

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 am

For a week or two I wouldn't do anything beyond a brush down and light bulb in the firebox.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Extended Down Time For The Boiler

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:05 am

You could use deionized or distilled water but not really necessary.
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer model 75. (sold)
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Visit Leisure Line Stove

Re: Extended Down Time For The Boiler

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:23 pm

kstills wrote:Dave/Matt,

I'm shutting down for a week or two and draining my system. I can put a light in the fire box and coat everything with WD 40, but is there something I should do for the wetted areas of the boiler? A rust inhibitor perhaps, and then fill it back up with water while I work on it?

Thanks for the advice,



I agree with other posts. A week or 2 doesn't require any real special treatment. Can you leave the pressure vessel of the boiler under pressure and just drain the area you need to work on? If not I wouldn't worry too much.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Extended Down Time For The Boiler

PostBy: kstills On: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
kstills wrote:Dave/Matt,

I'm shutting down for a week or two and draining my system. I can put a light in the fire box and coat everything with WD 40, but is there something I should do for the wetted areas of the boiler? A rust inhibitor perhaps, and then fill it back up with water while I work on it?

Thanks for the advice,



I agree with other posts. A week or 2 doesn't require any real special treatment. Can you leave the pressure vessel of the boiler under pressure and just drain the area you need to work on? If not I wouldn't worry too much.


I need to drain through the boiler, however I can re-fill it once it's drained (I'm pulling out the plumbing and the boiler is valved off) and let it sit.

Wish me luck. :)
kstills
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line

Re: Extended Down Time For The Boiler

PostBy: europachris On: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:14 pm

I read in an old heating book that it's best to NOT refill a boiler unless you plan on firing it. Fresh water contains a lot of dissolved oxygen which is driven out when the water is heated the first time. Leaving a boiler full of "used" water is the best thing for it, and filling with fresh water and leaving it sit is probably the worst.

Chris
europachris
 
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM 350/Iron Fireman
Stove/Furnace Model: Custom bituminous burner

Re: Extended Down Time For The Boiler

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm

europachris wrote:I read in an old heating book that it's best to NOT refill a boiler unless you plan on firing it. Fresh water contains a lot of dissolved oxygen which is driven out when the water is heated the first time. Leaving a boiler full of "used" water is the best thing for it, and filling with fresh water and leaving it sit is probably the worst.


:clap: :yes:
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Extended Down Time For The Boiler

PostBy: Sting On: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:55 pm

europachris wrote: Leaving a boiler full of "used" water is the best thing for it, and filling with fresh water and leaving it sit is probably the worst.

Chris



BEST Advice posted in a long time --Image
Sting
 
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Visit Leisure Line Stove