Is this site Racist?

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: franco b On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 am

George Patton was a lucky man in that world events were just right for his genius to flower.

Sixty five years later the climate has changed.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 am

franco b wrote:A farmer has to consider the land he has and the local climate before deciding what crop to plant; what plant will thrive best according to its nature.


Until the government subsidies kick in and the farmer decides to plant what crops will bring in the most money. :)
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: franco b On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm

jpete wrote:
franco b wrote:A farmer has to consider the land he has and the local climate before deciding what crop to plant; what plant will thrive best according to its nature.


Until the government subsidies kick in and the farmer decides to plant what crops will bring in the most money. :)

That's called pragmatism. Works for now but in the conflict with nature will eventually fail.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea


Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:27 pm

franco b wrote:
jpete wrote:
franco b wrote:A farmer has to consider the land he has and the local climate before deciding what crop to plant; what plant will thrive best according to its nature.


Until the government subsidies kick in and the farmer decides to plant what crops will bring in the most money. :)

That's called pragmatism. Works for now but in the conflict with nature will eventually fail.


Like the massive corn crop?

Once again, thanks to government incentives, the market is tilted and one little wobble crushes the whole system.

But thankfully, the smart ones had government crop insurance so they'll do nothing all season and collect a big paycheck in the fall. :D
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: franco b On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:44 pm

jpete wrote:Like the massive corn crop?

Once again, thanks to government incentives, the market is tilted and one little wobble crushes the whole system.

But thankfully, the smart ones had government crop insurance so they'll do nothing all season and collect a big paycheck in the fall.

Sometimes it is a blessing to be dumb and happy and not have the perception you have to be aware of error.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: Ed.A On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:20 pm

I didn't realize this (albiet most don't either) The crop insurance premiums are paid for by the Taxpayer...not the farmer.

http://wisconsinreporter.com/crop-insur ... ll-sides-2
Ed.A
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Ed.A wrote:I didn't realize this (albiet most don't either) The crop insurance premiums are paid for by the Taxpayer...not the farmer.

http://wisconsinreporter.com/crop-insur ... ll-sides-2


An even better deal!

Heck, just water the fields with Chlorox and skip that whole harvesting phase.

You get paid anyway!
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Let's clarify that you're not talking about the small family farms that struggle every year to get in enough feed for their milkers & keep food on the table for their families. Just hoping you don't lump all farmers together like you seem to do with people in general. :( I'm sure you could find more facts on u-tube :clap: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Not lumping them all together.

Just illustrating how government policies produce "unintended consequences" and distort the market.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 pm

WTF, they subsidise ski resorts when they have a bad winter--what do they put on the table that are necessities? But, I understand what you are saying.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:05 pm

They do?

Is there a Federally subsidized snow insurance?
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: samhill On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 pm

I'll check but I don't think any of the small local farmers get crop ins. around here, maybe it's just for over so many acres. Some around me have already plowed under & will plant winter wheat to try & make something & return some minerals to the soil. Wasn't long ago I ran into the Head of the Pa. Dept. of Agriculture & he said it wasn't looking good at all for most of the locals, he just lives a few miles from me & he & his brother are two of our Township Commissioners, that's how I know him & see him from time to time.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 pm

I know for a fact they did Sugarbush & Killington back in the 70's but not Mad-River Glen which was just a Ma & Pa resort--and the rich continue to get richer--surpraaaase, surpraaaase as Gomer would say
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: samhill On: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:19 pm

There is a little ski resort near Erie, Peak & Peak I believe & they went under a while back & now an outfit that owns about half the businesses in Erie got the place at Sheriff's Sale, I'd bet that if there is anything to get they will get it. Not that they don't do a good bit around the Erie area but it seems that only the big guys get the breaks.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Is this site Racist?

PostBy: Ed.A On: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:29 am

freetown fred wrote:I know for a fact they did Sugarbush & Killington back in the 70's but not Mad-River Glen which was just a Ma & Pa resort--and the rich continue to get richer--surpraaaase, surpraaaase as Gomer would say



Wait, there was Global Warming back in the 70's?
Ed.A
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice