Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Well then, by God, I stand corrected. :)
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:41 am

The problem with most of those electronic thermostat controls is that they are on or off, i.e. the damper is open or closed. They also don't react to a change in draft, or coal size. The firebox in this Hitzer is large, and does well at a nice steady burn. Don't over engineer a simple thing, use the Hitzer the way the builders intended and let the stoker stove ramp up and down.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: Fire375 On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 am

You also have to remember this was designed in an amish blacksmith shop back in the 70s. How on earth were they going to run an electric thermostat? That would have been no benefit to them in their house.
Fire375
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer Stoker
Stove/Furnace Model: 710

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 am

Nor in mine here on the hill. It humors me that so many people honestly believe the concept of "the more complicated, the better something has to be" Yes, I still have to manually roll down my truck windows & would have it no other way :clap: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 am

From a simple discussion standpoint, the Automatic Draft system employed by Harman on their hand-fired furnaces like the SF-1500-A is more user-friendly, but does require electricity unlike the Hitzer. The same auto-draft is available from other manufacturers like Energy King, but those furnaces are of inferior design and construction compared to the DS Stove, Harman and Hitzer units.
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Sooo, let me try & paraphrase, you prefer/ WANT/NEED/ whatever a heating unit with primary elec functions but don't want to get off the $$$ in order to achieve that goal?
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Fred, I am a white and blue collared guy with two kids and a 210lb dog trying to save enough for retirement so I can be a 70+ year old retired farmer with plenty of time to fiddle with my Hitzer just like you.

So yes, I want a hand-fired stove with a thermostat that shakes its own grates, fills itself with coal and empties its own ashes.

Is that too much to ask Fred ????
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: franco b On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:00 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote: By: EarthWindandFire On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 pm

Fred, I am a white and blue collared guy with two kids and a 210lb dog trying to save enough for retirement so I can be a 70+ year old retired farmer with plenty of time to fiddle with my Hitzer just like you.

Now you have done it. Say what you want about Fred, just don't make him older than he is. And another thing you clean up after a bunch of horses and see how much time you have left over.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: fastcat On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Hey Fred how ya doing you 70+ year old fart. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
fastcat
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:02 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:So yes, I want a hand-fired stove with a thermostat that shakes its own grates, fills itself with coal and empties its own ashes.


Exactly what part of that stove would be "hand" fired? :D
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Just for the record, amongst other things, you obviously are not familiar with farming & what's entailed--nobody retires out here, most just drop dead haying on the tractor or mucking stalls--how earthy huh?? ;) --yes I'm talking small family farms--but neither here nor there--my point is--there ain't no such critter as to what you WANT--I'll try saying it again--what you have will work just fine if you use it as it was intended to be used. Oh wait--white, blue collar, two kids(why so few), a big dog-(again, why only one?) & trying to get a nest egg together for retirement-- :gee: Nope, can't say I know anyone that's ever been in that kinda situation. toothy EWF, lighten up & stop trying to way out smart the people that made your stove--OR--get another stove. That's all I'm saying PS--I don't fiddle--I shake, top off twice a day & empty ashes once a day--that all takes about 10 minutes total on a bad day--if you don't have that much time to invest in an incredible $$ saving venture, I don't know what else to suggest to you.
EarthWindandFire wrote:Fred, I am a white and blue collared guy with two kids and a 210lb dog trying to save enough for retirement so I can be a 70+ year old retired farmer with plenty of time to fiddle with my Hitzer just like you.

So yes, I want a hand-fired stove with a thermostat that shakes its own grates, fills itself with coal and empties its own ashes.

Is that too much to ask Fred ????
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: wsherrick On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:55 pm

freetown fred wrote:Just for the record, amongst other things, you obviously are not familiar with farming & what's entailed--nobody retires out here, most just drop dead haying on the tractor or mucking stalls--how earthy huh?? ;) --yes I'm talking small family farms--but neither here nor there--my point is--there ain't no such critter as to what you WANT--I'll try saying it again--what you have will work just fine if you use it as it was intended to be used. Oh wait--white, blue collar, two kids(why so few), a big dog-(again, why only one?) & trying to get a nest egg together for retirement-- :gee: Nope, can't say I know anyone that's ever been in that kinda situation. toothy EWF, lighten up & stop trying to way out smart the people that made your stove--OR--get another stove. That's all I'm saying PS--I don't fiddle--I shake, top off twice a day & empty ashes once a day--that all takes about 10 minutes total on a bad day--if you don't have that much time to invest in an incredible $$ saving venture, I don't know what else to suggest to you.
EarthWindandFire wrote:Fred, I am a white and blue collared guy with two kids and a 210lb dog trying to save enough for retirement so I can be a 70+ year old retired farmer with plenty of time to fiddle with my Hitzer just like you.

So yes, I want a hand-fired stove with a thermostat that shakes its own grates, fills itself with coal and empties its own ashes.

Is that too much to ask Fred ????



Fred ole pal, you are beginning to sound a lot like some body else I know. That's base burner talk you're talkin' now.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:33 pm

:oops2: :clap: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Fred,

You have been dogging me for a long time on here. Tomorrow the Hitzer will be on Craigslist for scrap.

As for farming, the house in my avatar is the 4,200 sq ft farm house I grew up in. We sold hay and feed back in the 20's and 30's to Fred Vanderbilt and Franklin Roosevelt. The receipts signed by my great-grandmother are housed at the Roosevelt Library for all to see, just ask the research librarian.

I'll steer clear of this forum and not ask any questions from this point on, I don't want to blind you with my blue headlights.
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Re: Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

PostBy: Coalfire On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:09 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:Fred,

You have been dogging me for a long time on here. Tomorrow the Hitzer will be on Craigslist for scrap.



I'll steer clear of this forum and not ask any questions from this point on.




No reason to be like that. we can all be civil.

Why would you sell the hitzer it would do a good job heating your home?


Eric
Coalfire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Visit Hitzer Stoves