I made a mistake.

I made a mistake.

PostBy: nortcan On: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi, in a past post I wrote that the HT Black silicone was good for places where the temp. was not very high. But when restoring the Sunnyside, I made an error when I used HT silicone on a place where the temp. is too high for it.
It is for the top chamber, at the back of the stove. The by-pass for the direct and base burning modes is located there and when I made the second fire outside of the house, I realised that I placed the thermometer on the top of the stove but 3/4 on the top of the convection chamber. The convection system should work very well cause as soon as I put the thermometer on the top's center, the temp. rised from 400*F to 600*F. I changed the air controls to the closed position and the temp. slow down rapidly. But the silicone was beginning to degade, so I will dis-assemble that section and do it with HT Furnace cement. :mad:
All that to say that it's very IMPORTANT to use HT silicone only on places where we are SHURE the temp. will be below the silicone's temp. rate.
I hope I didn't induce many readers in my error.
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I made a mistake.

PostBy: Richard S. On: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 pm

If you PM me links to the posts I'll edit them.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: I made a mistake.

PostBy: SteveZee On: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Better to find out now than later Pierre. Good that you posted it.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: I made a mistake.

PostBy: wsherrick On: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:33 pm

SteveZee wrote:Better to find out now than later Pierre. Good that you posted it.


Oops. You are right better now than later. Now is only annoying and inconvenient. Later would be a cause for severe anger management.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: I made a mistake.

PostBy: nortcan On: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:34 am

You'r all right. Now is better ...maybe if (I can put all the IF of the world but the problem arrived anyways) the thermometer was placed on the top center, I would have controlled the stove's temp. faster but in fact I think that it's better to fix it now. Safer is better.
In fact my intervention was just to advice readers to be very carefull about the HT silicone use. If someone has a doubt about the temp. on the stove parts, go with furnace cement. Except if you Love assemble and dis-assemble the same parts many times :(
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I made a mistake.

PostBy: vfw3439 On: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:47 pm

nortcan wrote:You'r all right. Now is better ...maybe if (I can put all the IF of the world but the problem arrived anyways) the thermometer was placed on the top center, I would have controlled the stove's temp. faster but in fact I think that it's better to fix it now. Safer is better.
In fact my intervention was just to advice readers to be very carefull about the HT silicone use. If someone has a doubt about the temp. on the stove parts, go with furnace cement. Except if you Love assemble and dis-assemble the same parts many times :(


nortcan,
After you found your mistake did you have a few choice words like"ciboire, de crisse, de câlice" :o ? I can fondly remember my Memere saying a few of those choice words. :)
vfw3439
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8
Stove/Furnace Model: Crawford Tropic 112

Re: I made a mistake.

PostBy: nortcan On: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:34 pm

vfw3439 wrote:
nortcan wrote:You'r all right. Now is better ...maybe if (I can put all the IF of the world but the problem arrived anyways) the thermometer was placed on the top center, I would have controlled the stove's temp. faster but in fact I think that it's better to fix it now. Safer is better.
In fact my intervention was just to advice readers to be very carefull about the HT silicone use. If someone has a doubt about the temp. on the stove parts, go with furnace cement. Except if you Love assemble and dis-assemble the same parts many times :(


nortcan,
After you found your mistake did you have a few choice words like"ciboire, de crisse, de câlice" :o ? I can fondly remember my Memere saying a few of those choice words. :)

WOW vfw3439, you know ALL important French words used here in Québec when things are harder than wanted. Memere was a real one :up:
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I made a mistake.

PostBy: vfw3439 On: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 am

nortcan,
I was raised by my Great Grandmother and her daughter my Paternal Grandmother. I will always cherish my Québécois heritage. When the two of them would get going on something it was very funny to watch. I will never forget them and all the fond memories.
vfw3439
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fuller & Warren No. 4
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8, Crawford Tropic 112, Fuller & Warren No. 4
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Egg Size Anthracite Coal
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood Base Heater No. 8
Stove/Furnace Model: Crawford Tropic 112

Visit Hitzer Stoves