This link will take you to my webshots which I put some of the fireplace shots. It is a center fireplace and I believe the original fireplace was removed in the 1920's as there was 1920's newspapers under the patch in the floor where the hearth was. Part of the field stone base was still in the basement so I had to add to it ( in stone)about 2 1/2 -3 ft wide from floor to ceiling in the basement which is only and 6 1/2 high. After that I used planks from another pre 1820's house and built the form for a concrete pad that the new hearth would be built on (the 2 hearths are cantilevered with the stone base in the center). The fireplace is about as exact as the one they took out except mine has 2 flues and the original probably dumped both fireplaces and bake oven into 1 huge linerless flu. Here is the problem I ran into with doing that, I wish I could explain this better but here goes anyway. The fireplace has 1 smoke chamber per fireplace , front fireplace and rear fireplace. The framing of the house required that the flues be right and left of each other to get thru the second floor Sooo they had to do some pretty fancy twist in 4 feet. Add in the Bake oven flue that dumps into the kitchen fireplace smoke camber at an angle . My father was able to figure out the twist and made drawings that I used. He is very knowledgable about these things and although he is pretty crippled up with arthritis his mind works fine. Now as you view the photos remember that a good portion of the brick work gets a wall around it. The fireplace itself is made of "old" brick which required soaking it in a bucket of water first because if you didn't it would suck the water right out of the mortar too fast that is why it looks so slopply. It will clean up with acid.
Last edited by daveuz
on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: <removed dead link>