Third Debate

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: rberq On: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Flyer5 wrote:Actually to Opee-pees credit he said we have less horses and bayonet's than we had in 1914.

Correct. That was a pretty dumb thing Romney said. :sick: Somebody gave him a poorly-thought-out talking point, and sure enough he talked it without burdening himself with any thinking. :P The President pointed out the obvious, that you don't compute naval strength simply by counting up on your fingers the number of ships. As with horses and bayonets, we have fewer ships than the combined British navy and Spanish Armada of the 16th century -- but what do you think would happen if the whole of both fleets went up against one aircraft carrier? :cry:
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: Dann757 On: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Wow why don't you send that opinion to The Secretary of Defense?

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, In September: “I'll Take Whatever The Hell Deal They Can Make Right Now To Deal With Sequestration.” “Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Thursday said he'd take any deal that would avoid across-the-board cuts to defense spending. Lawmakers have begun floating short-term agreements to stop the $500 billion in defense cuts known as sequestration from beginning in January amid concerns they won't be able to strike a "grand bargain" on taxes and spending. ‘I'll take whatever the hell deal they can make right now to deal with sequestration,’ Panetta said.” (Jeremy Herb, “Panetta Would Take 'Whatever The Hell Deal’ Possible To Avoid Cuts,” The Hill, 9/27/12)

I know you live in the pristine and idyllic State of Maine, and work for somebody else, so I understand your lack of concern. But the small companies that make gun triggers or other military support materiel don't even know what is going to happen to their livelyhoods. Great talking points by Obama, but they simply don't jibe with his failed policies across the boards.
Dann757
 

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: rberq On: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Dann757 wrote:... the small companies that make gun triggers or other military support materiel don't even know what is going to happen to their livelyhoods ...

That's why Congress will reverse their sequestration stuff before it takes effect -- because too many congressional districts depend on the income from military contracts.

Now, whether that's a smart way to run the country in the long run is another question entirely. "Keeping people employed" is the worst reason in the world to make gun triggers or nuclear weapons. The military-industrial complex has us tied over the muzzle of their economic cannon and the generals and corporation presidents and politicians laugh all the way to the bank, and when we get restless they just start another war to take our minds off it.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane


Re: Third Debate

PostBy: Dann757 On: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:49 pm

rberq wrote:Now, whether that's a smart way to run the country in the long run is another question entirely. "Keeping people employed" is the worst reason in the world to make gun triggers or nuclear weapons. The military-industrial complex has us tied over the muzzle of their economic cannon and the generals and corporation presidents and politicians laugh all the way to the bank, and when we get restless they just start another war to take our minds off it.


HAHAHAHA I aint even mad. Your opinion comes from your point of view, I know I aint gonna change your mind. The way I see it, we're not the ones getting restless.
Kennedy made Kruchev back down when we were on the brink of nuclear war. Remember? It's because Kruchev knew our ICBM's could be prepared faster due to superior technology.
Dann757
 

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: jpete On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 am

Dann757 wrote:
rberq wrote:Now, whether that's a smart way to run the country in the long run is another question entirely. "Keeping people employed" is the worst reason in the world to make gun triggers or nuclear weapons. The military-industrial complex has us tied over the muzzle of their economic cannon and the generals and corporation presidents and politicians laugh all the way to the bank, and when we get restless they just start another war to take our minds off it.


HAHAHAHA I aint even mad. Your opinion comes from your point of view, I know I aint gonna change your mind. The way I see it, we're not the ones getting restless.
Kennedy made Kruchev back down when we were on the brink of nuclear war. Remember? It's because Kruchev knew our ICBM's could be prepared faster due to superior technology.


And because we removed our missiles from Turkey. You've got such a sterling record of reporting the facts, I'd hate to see you leave that tidbit out.

Now, by all means, keep making your case for socialism. I'm learning a lot.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: Dann757 On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:17 am

jpete wrote:
And because we removed our missiles from Turkey. You've got such a sterling record of reporting the facts, I'd hate to see you leave that tidbit out.

Now, by all means, keep making your case for socialism. I'm learning a lot.


Man, you don't even make sense. But you're getting more and more inclined toward malicious sarcasm. You try it on everybody. You may be looking for retaliation as it gives you a false sense of validation. I get caught up in that mindset myself. I hope you dust yourself off and make an effort to bring the discussion up a notch to a more civil discourse.
As a proponent of Ron Paul, you may want to consider emulating his civility.

The truth that's told with bad intent, beats all lies one can invent.
Dann757
 

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: rberq On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:34 am

But back to the debate, this was so dramatic I have to repeat it from my previous post:

On Libya, Syria, Israel, Iran, Egypt, Afghanistan, and even some domestic stuff, there was a startling repeated pattern:
1. Romney criticized Obama.
2. Obama replied with his position and reasoning.
3. Romney repeated Obama's position and reasoning point by point, in slightly different words, as his own position.

Here's what my hero Glenn Beck had to say about that: "“I am glad to know that Mitt agrees with Obama so much. No, really. Why vote?”"

One Mitticism flipflop was really stunning: Pointing out his accomplishments, he proudly said that as governor "I got all the people of my state covered by health insurance". Then within a few minutes later he said, "The first thing I'd do as president is repeal Obamacare".
Wow! :!: Good logic there! :lol:
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:27 am

I just did extensive reading on the differences between Romneycare and Obamacare, they are similar and yet different. You have to keep in mind that Governor Romney passed his plan in a bipartisan manner, whereas President Obama had no need to placate Republicans because he controlled the votes by a huge margin and then some.

Being a politician means you are a vote trader, they trade votes with other members just like children swap baseball cards. This vote trading is a necessary evil and one of the main reasons Ron Paul has passed very little legislation in his name is because he was not willing to trade votes for something he didn't believe in and for that, I give him credit.
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: jpete On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Dann757 wrote:
jpete wrote:
And because we removed our missiles from Turkey. You've got such a sterling record of reporting the facts, I'd hate to see you leave that tidbit out.

Now, by all means, keep making your case for socialism. I'm learning a lot.


Man, you don't even make sense. But you're getting more and more inclined toward malicious sarcasm. You try it on everybody. You may be looking for retaliation as it gives you a false sense of validation. I get caught up in that mindset myself. I hope you dust yourself off and make an effort to bring the discussion up a notch to a more civil discourse.
As a proponent of Ron Paul, you may want to consider emulating his civility.

The truth that's told with bad intent, beats all lies one can invent.


I figured you like being accurate so much that you'd appreciate me making sure you're telling the whole story.

We both know the popular myth is the great and mighty Americans forced the evil Ruskies to blink but the reality is they removed their missiles from Cuba and we removed our missiles from Turkey.

It was a mutually beneficial agreement. Like the one you and I have. You make sure I'm telling the whole story and I'll do the same for you. :D
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:43 pm

In the spirit of Glasnost, can't we all just get along?
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: jpete On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:53 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:In the spirit of Glasnost, can't we all just get along?


I think your suggestion worked!

Dan just invited me to his house! He said he'd treat me like a king......Rodney King! :D :P
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: Dann757 On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:56 pm

jpete wrote:Dan just invited me to his house! He said he'd treat me like a king......Rodney King!


Snore.

W.W.R.P.D.
Dann757
 

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: ONEDOLLAR On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Jeff

In all fairness while we did remove missiles from Turkey we still had pleanty of them in Germany and the UK. In fact where do you think those missiles from Turkey went? We did make the Soviets "blink". The net result was we got the better end of the agreement. No nukes less than 100 miles from our shores.
ONEDOLLAR
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #2 Base Heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: franco b On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:17 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:The net result was we got the better end of the agreement. No nukes less than 100 miles from our shores.

We also agreed not to invade Cuba.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Third Debate

PostBy: EarthWindandFire On: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:33 pm

The only ship FEARED by China, Vietnam, North Korea, Russia, Syria and Iran was and is the Battleship. They have been relegated to museum status but are subject to military recall per the contracts with the museum associations.
EarthWindandFire
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.