No More Twinkies

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Davian On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

jpete wrote:And I love when people hand me "Somalia" on a silver platter.

Here's what the CIA "World Factbook" says.

Despite the lack of effective national governance, Somalia has maintained a healthy informal economy, largely based on livestock, remittance/money transfer companies, and telecommunications. Agriculture is the most important sector with livestock normally accounting for about 40% of GDP and more than 50% of export earnings.

GDP - real growth rate:

2.6% (2010 est.)

country comparison to the world: 132


https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/so.html

2.6% is pretty good. But I'm sure the good ol' US of A is leaps and bounds better with all that nifty regulation and such.

GDP - real growth rate:

1.8% (2011 est.)

country comparison to the world: 157


https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/us.html

<insert sad trumpet noise here> Wah-wah....thanks for playing...please try again.


You keep trying that as if its a positive. You should definitely move there as it is truly a paradise.

BTW, what's their average annual income? Hint: Its really, really low...the same with their GDP, per capital GDP and every other economic indicator outside of current growth.

Your little trap (which you've tried on me at least 3 times now with Somalia) is pure crap. You know it, I know it, reality knows it.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:21 pm

"The TSA just as one example has increased greatly over the past few years. Not to mention all the IRS agents provided for under Obamacare.

And even if it's 100% true, it doesn't matter because we are still spending more money today than we were back then. So while there may be fewer total employees, the must be getting paid more because the budget line trends UP not DOWN.[/quote]

Good sir...TSA was developed and grew "ENORMOUSLY" under the BUSH ADMINISTRATION! In fact TSA was developed due to 911! As a matter of fact any agency under the Dept of Homeland Security grew exponentially under Bush due to 911. AND FACTUALLY speaking all of those agencies are now shrinking...both in budget and staffing!
Northern Maine
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Davian On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
Davian wrote:
And you think that was a good thing that you should have to do your entire life just to maintain a subsistence level of life? That's what life was like for most of the labor class prior to worker protections.



Davian , I get the impression that you are against the concept of hard work, sacrifice and risk to improve ones situation should not be part of the American culture.


Not at all. That's the complete opposite of my viewpoint.

A little background on me to help show my viewpoint: I moved out of my parents house the week I graduated from HS and never looked back. I enlisted in the army to get out and give myself a chance at a better life. I've had a job since I was 14 and worked full-time since that enlistment.

I'm not for open-ended handouts or any pure welfare state at all. I'm for an even playing field where everyone has a real shot at making something of themselves. We dont have that in the US. And before you throw a couple anecdotal "examples" out there to prove me wrong, lets be real and realize that those people are the rare, rare exception to the rule, not the reality. Most people never get that shot.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel


Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Davian On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Northern Maine wrote:"The TSA just as one example has increased greatly over the past few years. Not to mention all the IRS agents provided for under Obamacare.

And even if it's 100% true, it doesn't matter because we are still spending more money today than we were back then. So while there may be fewer total employees, the must be getting paid more because the budget line trends UP not DOWN.


Good sir...TSA was developed and grew "ENORMOUSLY" under the BUSH ADMINISTRATION! In fact TSA was developed due to 911! As a matter of fact any agency under the Dept of Homeland Security grew exponentially under Bush due to 911. AND FACTUALLY speaking all of those agencies are now shrinking...both in budget and staffing![/quote]

100% correct. And some of those Agencies (USCIS for example) are fee-based with zero bearing on congressional spending.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Northern Maine wrote:
Good sir...TSA was developed and grew "ENORMOUSLY" under the BUSH ADMINISTRATION! In fact TSA was developed due to 911! As a matter of fact any agency under the Dept of Homeland Security grew exponentially under Bush due to 911. AND FACTUALLY speaking all of those agencies are now shrinking...both in budget and staffing!


I won't argue that TSA and DHS were invented by Bush. I just hesitate to point it out lest I be accused of "blaming" him for the things he did.

But I would ask you to educate me on the facts of TSA shrinking in any respect.

Hell, they've left the airport and were last seen at a Romney campaign event.

They'll also be coming to a random highway check point near you.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/20 ... -near-you/
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Davian wrote:
Northern Maine wrote:"The TSA just as one example has increased greatly over the past few years. Not to mention all the IRS agents provided for under Obamacare.

And even if it's 100% true, it doesn't matter because we are still spending more money today than we were back then. So while there may be fewer total employees, the must be getting paid more because the budget line trends UP not DOWN.


Good sir...TSA was developed and grew "ENORMOUSLY" under the BUSH ADMINISTRATION! In fact TSA was developed due to 911! As a matter of fact any agency under the Dept of Homeland Security grew exponentially under Bush due to 911. AND FACTUALLY speaking all of those agencies are now shrinking...both in budget and staffing!


100% correct. And some of those Agencies (USCIS for example) are fee-based with zero bearing on congressional spending.[/quote]

And UNFORTUNATELY, the US Customs service, which paid it's own way...is clumped in with many agencies now...that did not pay their way. Hence why in CBP we are seeing so many budget woes!
Northern Maine
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Davian On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 pm

TSA hasn't shrunk but the gov't overall isn't growing. Its almost as of cuts in other Agencies are balancing out any increases in Agencies like TSA.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: lsayre On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:31 pm

jpete wrote:But I would ask you to educate me on the facts of TSA shrinking in any respect.

Hell, they've left the airport and were last seen at a Romney campaign event.

They'll also be coming to a random highway check point near you.


The plan is to have TSA check stations at all sports arenas, bus terminals, train stations, and you name it. Homeland Security (and its minions like the TSA) is our Gestapo.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Davian wrote:TSA hasn't shrunk but the gov't overall isn't growing. Its almost as of cuts in other Agencies are balancing out any increases in Agencies like TSA.


You just said TSA was shrinking.

And again, what difference does it make if the budget for the government keeps going up?
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 pm

lsayre wrote:
jpete wrote:But I would ask you to educate me on the facts of TSA shrinking in any respect.

Hell, they've left the airport and were last seen at a Romney campaign event.

They'll also be coming to a random highway check point near you.


The plan is to have TSA check stations at all sports arenas, bus terminals, train stations, and you name it. Homeland Security (and its minions like the TSA) is our Gestapo.


Shhh. I'm trying to get Davian to a revelation here. You're spoiling the surprise. ;) :D
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Davian On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 pm

jpete wrote:
Davian wrote:TSA hasn't shrunk but the gov't overall isn't growing. Its almost as of cuts in other Agencies are balancing out any increases in Agencies like TSA.


You just said TSA was shrinking.

And again, what difference does it make if the budget for the government keeps going up?


No I never specified that TSA was shrinking.

Also, I agree that TSA sucks. I dont know why you think I'm defending TSA at all.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Davian On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 pm

jpete wrote:
lsayre wrote:
jpete wrote:But I would ask you to educate me on the facts of TSA shrinking in any respect.

Hell, they've left the airport and were last seen at a Romney campaign event.

They'll also be coming to a random highway check point near you.


The plan is to have TSA check stations at all sports arenas, bus terminals, train stations, and you name it. Homeland Security (and its minions like the TSA) is our Gestapo.


Shhh. I'm trying to get Davian to a revelation here. You're spoiling the surprise. ;) :D


Revelation being that you're a conspiracy nut apparently?
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Davian wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:
Davian wrote:
And you think that was a good thing that you should have to do your entire life just to maintain a subsistence level of life? That's what life was like for most of the labor class prior to worker protections.



Davian , I get the impression that you are against the concept of hard work, sacrifice and risk to improve ones situation should not be part of the American culture.


Not at all. That's the complete opposite of my viewpoint.

A little background on me to help show my viewpoint: I moved out of my parents house the week I graduated from HS and never looked back. I enlisted in the army to get out and give myself a chance at a better life. I've had a job since I was 14 and worked full-time since that enlistment.

I'm not for open-ended handouts or any pure welfare state at all. I'm for an even playing field where everyone has a real shot at making something of themselves. We dont have that in the US. And before you throw a couple anecdotal "examples" out there to prove me wrong, lets be real and realize that those people are the rare, rare exception to the rule, not the reality. Most people never get that shot.



I was not targeting you or your background just your current viewpoint.

You are wrong, opportunities are all over but they are not going to come to you. You have to go to them. There is a lot of sacrifice and risk. Just what this country was built on.
The problem is if people are just given opportunities they do not appreciate what they have. I have seen it with one of our old vendors, there were framed certificates of minority grants all over. Every order we placed was late he would promise next week. Next week would come and no show. That would cause disruptions in our production. Notice how I said old vendor.
If you don't have to fight for what you get you will never fight to keep it.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Davian wrote:No I never specified that TSA was shrinking.

Also, I agree that TSA sucks. I dont know why you think I'm defending TSA at all.


My mistake, you partially quoted Northern Maine and I thought you had said it.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: No More Twinkies

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm

lsayre wrote:
jpete wrote:But I would ask you to educate me on the facts of TSA shrinking in any respect.

Hell, they've left the airport and were last seen at a Romney campaign event.

They'll also be coming to a random highway check point near you.


The plan is to have TSA check stations at all sports arenas, bus terminals, train stations, and you name it. Homeland Security (and its minions like the TSA) is our Gestapo.


Get rid of the Coast Guard, USCIS, Border Patrol and Customs and see what kind of country we become! That's like saying get rid of our entire military!
Northern Maine
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648