If I were President of the United States I would...

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: KLook On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Give them some tools and send them home to work on their own houses. :blowup:


Can't do that!! The families would sue the tool manufacturers and anyone in sight and blow it on twinkies and lottery tickets!! Then they would get gov. money for being overweight, stupid, drunks, and unemployable.

Lest you think I jest, I went to school with 2 brothers that got disability checks in their 30's. One got a stupid pension and the other got a drunk pension. At least the drunk drank himself to death and the dumb one being not so dumb, moved to Campabello Island (Canada) where his free check went further.

Kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: lsayre On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:56 pm

If I were President of the United States I would recognize rights and do away with permission slips.

http://ericpetersautos.com/2012/11/27/p ... of-rights/
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: coalkirk On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 am

jpete wrote:
coalkirk wrote: While i think education decisions should be left to the states, I would strongly encourage governors to require real achievement to pass from grade to grade. Those who clearly have a limited academic potential would be offered trade school training as an alternative.


No thanks. I already have a few of those with "limited academic potential" in my HVAC class. They can't figure out the dangerous end of a screwdriver and I highly doubt you want them working on your furnace unless you really don't like your house. :)


Fair enough. Let them do drywall or something else that doesn't require a lot of analysis.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal


Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:11 am

KLook wrote:Can't do that!! The families would sue the tool manufacturers and anyone in sight and blow it on twinkies and lottery tickets!!


That is what happens in Maine. They get Food Stamps, and because they cannot buy beer or cigarettes, they buy bottled water with it...take it out in the parking lot, dump the water out, and because we have a bottle redemption bill here, they go back in with the empty bottles and return them. With cash in their hand, they then and go and by their beer and cigarettes.

The level of creativity knows no bounds when you have nothing to do but think of ways to get what you want with someone else paying for it.
NoSmoke
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 am

NoSmoke wrote:
KLook wrote:Can't do that!! The families would sue the tool manufacturers and anyone in sight and blow it on twinkies and lottery tickets!!


That is what happens in Maine. They get Food Stamps, and because they cannot buy beer or cigarettes, they buy bottled water with it...take it out in the parking lot, dump the water out, and because we have a bottle redemption bill here, they go back in with the empty bottles and return them. With cash in their hand, they then and go and by their beer and cigarettes.

The level of creativity knows no bounds when you have nothing to do but think of ways to get what you want with someone else paying for it.


Wondering if the majority of those receiving food stamps do this or is it just a select few?
Northern Maine
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:11 am

It's certainly more than a few but probably less than the majority.

There are all kinds of scams. From black markets in diapers and laundry detergent to less than ethical shop owners accepting food stamps for items other than food.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: Northern Maine On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:44 am

jpete wrote:It's certainly more than a few but probably less than the majority.

There are all kinds of scams. From black markets in diapers and laundry detergent to less than ethical shop owners accepting food stamps for items other than food.


Curious as to the percentage and maybe more enforcement to cut out the scams.
Northern Maine
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CENTRAL Boiler CL-5648
Stove/Furnace Model: CL-5648

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Northern Maine wrote:
jpete wrote:It's certainly more than a few but probably less than the majority.

There are all kinds of scams. From black markets in diapers and laundry detergent to less than ethical shop owners accepting food stamps for items other than food.


Curious as to the percentage and maybe more enforcement to cut out the scams.


You assume the government wants to stop it.

If welfare were kept to a bare minimum, what would the people with all the "social service" degrees do?
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: Yanche On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:36 pm

coalkirk wrote:
jpete wrote:
coalkirk wrote: While i think education decisions should be left to the states, I would strongly encourage governors to require real achievement to pass from grade to grade. Those who clearly have a limited academic potential would be offered trade school training as an alternative.


No thanks. I already have a few of those with "limited academic potential" in my HVAC class. They can't figure out the dangerous end of a screwdriver and I highly doubt you want them working on your furnace unless you really don't like your house. :)


Fair enough. Let them do drywall or something else that doesn't require a lot of analysis.

The fundamental reason why we have a human skills crisis in this country is because of the last half century the business/manufacturing leaders have convinced us that their skilled workers should be provided by the public education system. They are unwilling to foot the bill for the long term training of their workers. It's a complex issue, but long term successful companies invest heavily in training their employees. Many others do not, rewarding their shareholders first.
Yanche
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Re: If I were President of the United States I would...

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:59 pm

Yanche wrote:The fundamental reason why we have a human skills crisis in this country is because of the last half century the business/manufacturing leaders have convinced us that their skilled workers should be provided by the public education system. They are unwilling to foot the bill for the long term training of their workers. It's a complex issue, but long term successful companies invest heavily in training their employees. Many others do not, rewarding their shareholders first.


Taco(not the Mexican meal, pronounced 'TAY-co') is a manufacturer of heating system components like zone valves and circulator pumps and they just put an addition onto their on site school opened in 1992 to help their employees do everything from get their GED to learn more about art appreciation.

He's probably one of the last guys I know doing anything like that.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/education.html
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice