Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Hello All,

I am a first year coal convert and new member to this forum. My home is setup with a Forced Air Oil Furnace. I recently installed a coal stove to curb my heating costs, because of the layout of my house (spilt level ranch) I could not (and did not want to) install the stove in the lower level. The stove is installed in the living room where it can directly heat the upper and main level easily. Of course the 2 small rooms downstairs although not freezing get a little chilly. So my question..... What I would like to do is use the existing duct work and fan from the Oil furnace to move warm air from the main level throughout the house without starting the burner. Has anyone ever setup their thermostat to call for the fan and not the heat? If so, any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:41 pm

On your thermostat there should be a fan switch that says "auto/on. Just put it in the on position. It will help but those lower rooms will still be cooler. It's a shame you could not put the stove in the lower level. Your split level layout works well that way. I assume you have an open entry foyer that kinda connects the lower and main level? Your tlc2000 is a good stove.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:19 pm

coalkirk wrote:On your thermostat there should be a fan switch that says "auto/on. Just put it in the on position. It will help but those lower rooms will still be cooler. It's a shame you could not put the stove in the lower level. Your split level layout works well that way. I assume you have an open entry foyer that kinda connects the lower and main level? Your tlc2000 is a good stove.


I am not really good with describing house types but my neighbor has the exact same house and he placed his stove in the lower level. The result is exactly the opposite...the lower level which is basically a small rectangle has to be roasting to have an impact on room temperature in the upper and main levels. I spent most of my time in the upper and main levels and with the living room having an open layout to the upper level with a 12ft ceiling this arrangement is much more comfortable. The main level is toasty, the upper level is warm...and as mentioned above the lower level is cool but not cold. I just want to use the existing ducts and fan to even it out a little. My other thought is to simply move the thermostat to the lower level and have the unit call for heat thus moving the warm air through the house with an minimal expense of oil.
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000


Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: Cyber36 On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Too bad your forced-air oil furnace won't burn coal like mine............ :P
Cyber36
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Cyber36 wrote:Too bad your forced-air oil furnace won't burn coal like mine............ :P


Yeah too bad 8-) ....I have looked at those they are pretty sweet. If and when the time comes to replace my Williamson (and I am still in my house) I would consider it. The problem would be resell value...to guys like you and me that might be a selling point but around here you tell people you are burning coal and they look at you sideways (images of Oliver Twist in their heads).


Update...I just looked that up and this a pretty cool furnace you have there. How does it light off the solid fuel? With the Oil Burner? What did that unit cost you?
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: carlherrnstein On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:01 pm

It just running you blower fan dosent do the job you could put a cold air return high in the room whare the stove is so you will be pulling warm air in the air handler.
carlherrnstein
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:29 pm

DosDemiGod wrote:..>8... My other thought is to simply move the thermostat to the lower level and have the unit call for heat thus moving the warm air through the house with an minimal expense of oil.

I do something similar with my system. The coal stove doesn't have the out put to cover those days when it's cloudy and below 20 -25. The thermostat is on the same floor as the stove but in the center of the house. The far side away from the stove gets into the 50's w/o the oil furnace kicking the air around. The room w/the t-stat stays ~68 so I keep the t-stat set @ 69. This way the oil furnace runs a few times an hour but only one ~3 minute cycle. It does even out the temperatures on the far side. An added benefit is the air gets filtered and, since I have a central humidifier hooked into the duct work, humidified too.

BTW, the stove room has three cold air returns just behind the stove at floor level. You can see (edit) two in my avatar ;)
VigIIPeaBurner
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 am

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
DosDemiGod wrote:..>8... My other thought is to simply move the thermostat to the lower level and have the unit call for heat thus moving the warm air through the house with an minimal expense of oil.

I do something similar with my system. The coal stove doesn't have the out put to cover those days when it's cloudy and below 20 -25. The thermostat is on the same floor as the stove but in the center of the house. The far side away from the stove gets into the 50's w/o the oil furnace kicking the air around. The room w/the t-stat stays ~68 so I keep the t-stat set @ 69. This way the oil furnace runs a few times an hour but only one ~3 minute cycle. It does even out the temperatures on the far side. An added benefit is the air gets filtered and, since I have a central humidifier hooked into the duct work, humidified too.

BTW, the stove room has three cold air returns just behind the stove at floor level. You can see (edit) two in my avatar ;)


I think this is the way to go... I will hopefully be able to give it a try this weekend. I will post the results. thanks
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:39 am

carlherrnstein wrote:It just running you blower fan dosent do the job you could put a cold air return high in the room whare the stove is so you will be pulling warm air in the air handler.



Actually whoever setup the thermostat did not wire the ability to just run the fan without calling for heat (although the unit supports that function). I am going to explore my thermostat options this weekend and post the results. Cold air returns would not work with my house layout.
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:17 am

Well finally got around to getting into the crawl space and snaking new lines to install 2nd thermostat downstairs. Long story short..works fine. Unfortunately my system was installed with a 2 wire setup and i do not see a way of hooking up a 3rd wire to run the fan only option. As it turns out I may not need it. We just had a couple of cold nights with temps between 27f - 32f...living room was 81f and the downstairs averaged 65f. Not too shabby. I set the stat to hold 60f...so it should be good, even if the heat should kick in shouldn't take to much oil to bump the temp in the 2 small rooms downstairs a few degrees.
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: McGiever On: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:48 am

Since the third wire at the t'stat seems to be a problem...you could wire a new locally installed single pole double pole switch mounted at the furnace and have the Normal function and an over-ride or bypass to have constant fan on while switch is in Bypass. Not as convenient as having it at the t'stat but works the same. :)
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks for the info..but I am a little challenged when it comes to electrical work :P. The new thermostat (as well as the old one) is capable of fan only operation but there is no 'green' lead to hookup. Of course I could run another line but I would not know where to connect it on the furnace end :(
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: McGiever On: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 pm

DosDemiGod wrote:Thanks for the info..but I am a little challenged when it comes to electrical work :P. The new thermostat (as well as the old one) is capable of fan only operation but there is no 'green' lead to hookup. Of course I could run another line but I would not know where to connect it on the furnace end :(


Run the green (or third wire) from the t'stat...to the furnace, it connects to the fan relay coil that switches on the blower/fan.

This picture may help...green wire is a 24 volt AC circuit:
http://www.electrical-online.com/wp-con ... fan-on.jpg
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: DosDemiGod On: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks...sorry been offline for a couple of days. Stupid question...where would I find the fan relay on my furnace? Would it be in the switching unit I see attached to the side of the gun? I have a Williamson unit forced air unit.
DosDemiGod
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: Use existing Forced Air Furnace to move coal stove heat?

PostBy: McGiever On: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 pm

From what I could determine on your Williamson, there is no fan relay...sorry. :(
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek