WL110

Re: WL110

PostBy: titleist1 On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 am

my swag is 4 - 5 ton per year...."depending" on many things.
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: WL110

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 am

xandrew245x wrote:What kind of coal usage am I looking at with the boiler, i heard that boilers will use more coal than a normal stove.


Naturally it takes more coal to heat the entire house than just a few rooms.

Speaking of stoves, I thought you had decided to go with a stoker stove and try and save up for a boiler? Many people are faced with the same problem...it is tough to save money for a new boiler when most of it goes to the oil company. Whichever way you go, give a lot of thought to how the coal and ashes will be handled. If you don't have an outside basement entrace, that might be something to think about.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: WL110

PostBy: xandrew245x On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:31 am

Rob R. wrote:
xandrew245x wrote:What kind of coal usage am I looking at with the boiler, i heard that boilers will use more coal than a normal stove.


Naturally it takes more coal to heat the entire house than just a few rooms.

Speaking of stoves, I thought you had decided to go with a stoker stove and try and save up for a boiler? Many people are faced with the same problem...it is tough to save money for a new boiler when most of it goes to the oil company. Whichever way you go, give a lot of thought to how the coal and ashes will be handled. If you don't have an outside basement entrace, that might be something to think about.


Most people heat their entire house with a stove though. In the end I would like to end up with a boiler, if I can sell my car then I will have the money to buy it, personally I am fine with buying a used stove for now and save up for the boiler, but my wife told me to just wait and see if I can sell my car.

Where the boiler/stove would be is in an unfinished part of the basement, I plan on emptying the ash into a bucket and putting a lit on it, then once it cools take it outside and throw it away. It should keep dust out of the finished part of my basement.

If I used a ton or two more of coal with a boiler vs a handfired stove, I would still be very very happy, I would still be saving a ton of money.
xandrew245x
 

Visit Leisure Line Stove

Re: WL110

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 am

xandrew245x wrote:Most people heat their entire house with a stove though. In the end I would like to end up with a boiler, if I can sell my car then I will have the money to buy it, personally I am fine with buying a used stove for now and save up for the boiler, but my wife told me to just wait and see if I can sell my car.

Where the boiler/stove would be is in an unfinished part of the basement, I plan on emptying the ash into a bucket and putting a lit on it, then once it cools take it outside and throw it away. It should keep dust out of the finished part of my basement.


You will create a huge cloud of dust dumping the ashes into a bucket. I recommend buying a second ash pan and making a cover for it. That way you can let the ashes cool, and carry them outside with minimal dust.

As for heating the entire house with a stove, the word "heating" is subjective. It is very tough to heat the house evenly, especially from the basement. A stove in your basement with a few carefully placed cold air returns will take a big bite out of your heating bill...but don't expect the same performance as a central heating system.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: WL110

PostBy: xandrew245x On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks rob, you give out some pretty good information.

I defiantly don't want much dust, even being in the unfinished part, I would rather keep the mess outside. I actually thought about putting the boiler in my garage and then burying insulated pex lines into the basement, that way the boiler would be much closer to the coal supply, much easier to empty the ash pan and no mess in the house. There are a few problems with this though.
1.I would have to have a new chimney put up, or buy the power vent, both are expensive.
2. I would have to buy or make insulated pex line, which is expensive also, I am looking at atleast a 30' run from the side of the house to the garage.
3. I heard insurance companies will throw a fit if you put some type of furnace in your garage because its not up to code.

Bad thing about it being in the basement, I have to carry coal down stairs, across carpet and into the boiler room, then I have to do the same with the ashes.

The boiler room is closed off with a door from the rest of the basement, so it should help keep the dust in there, I plan on spraying my buckets of coal with water before bringing them into the house.
xandrew245x
 

Re: WL110

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 am

xandrew245x wrote:Thanks rob, you give out some pretty good information.


I give out information, but opinions vary on if it is good or not. :lol:

xandrew245x wrote:Bad thing about it being in the basement, I have to carry coal down stairs, across carpet and into the boiler room, then I have to do the same with the ashes.


That is workable, but not ideal. Do you have room in the basement for a coal bin? even a small one that can be filled from outside would be better than hauling the coal through a finished area...plus it saves you from lugging the coal down the stairs.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: WL110

PostBy: xandrew245x On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 pm

There is a unfinished space on the opposite site of the basement that I could put a coal bin in with a chute through a window. But I would then still have to carry it through a portion of the living room, and through the bedroom into the boiler room, I thought about getting a roll of that clear plastic film that they put over new carpet installs, that would prevent any accidental spillage onto the tan carpet.
xandrew245x
 

Re: WL110

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Rob R. wrote:
xandrew245x wrote:Most people heat their entire house with a stove though. In the end I would like to end up with a boiler, if I can sell my car then I will have the money to buy it, personally I am fine with buying a used stove for now and save up for the boiler, but my wife told me to just wait and see if I can sell my car.

Where the boiler/stove would be is in an unfinished part of the basement, I plan on emptying the ash into a bucket and putting a lit on it, then once it cools take it outside and throw it away. It should keep dust out of the finished part of my basement.


You will create a huge cloud of dust dumping the ashes into a bucket. I recommend buying a second ash pan and making a cover for it. That way you can let the ashes cool, and carry them outside with minimal dust.

As for heating the entire house with a stove, the word "heating" is subjective. It is very tough to heat the house evenly, especially from the basement. A stove in your basement with a few carefully placed cold air returns will take a big bite out of your heating bill...but don't expect the same performance as a central heating system.



We have covers for our ash pans if needed as well. The boiler / hyfire ash pan cover is a whopping $ 7.00 . Dave
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: WL110

PostBy: xandrew245x On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
Rob R. wrote:
xandrew245x wrote:Most people heat their entire house with a stove though. In the end I would like to end up with a boiler, if I can sell my car then I will have the money to buy it, personally I am fine with buying a used stove for now and save up for the boiler, but my wife told me to just wait and see if I can sell my car.

Where the boiler/stove would be is in an unfinished part of the basement, I plan on emptying the ash into a bucket and putting a lit on it, then once it cools take it outside and throw it away. It should keep dust out of the finished part of my basement.


You will create a huge cloud of dust dumping the ashes into a bucket. I recommend buying a second ash pan and making a cover for it. That way you can let the ashes cool, and carry them outside with minimal dust.

As for heating the entire house with a stove, the word "heating" is subjective. It is very tough to heat the house evenly, especially from the basement. A stove in your basement with a few carefully placed cold air returns will take a big bite out of your heating bill...but don't expect the same performance as a central heating system.



We have covers for our ash pans if needed as well. The boiler / hyfire ash pan cover is a whopping $ 7.00 . Dave


WOW! I don't know if I can afford that! :P I will defiantly be purchasing that!

I appreciate all the information guys, I am like the wl110 more and more everyday.
xandrew245x
 

Re: WL110

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:32 pm

xandrew245x wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:
We have covers for our ash pans if needed as well. The boiler / hyfire ash pan cover is a whopping $ 7.00 . Dave


WOW! I don't know if I can afford that! :P I will defiantly be purchasing that!

I appreciate all the information guys, I am like the wl110 more and more everyday.




Yea we make our fortune on the options as you can see. :D
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: WL110

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:33 pm

If anyone wants to know how to make a small fortune in the stove business just ask.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: WL110

PostBy: xandrew245x On: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:53 pm

I could use a small fortune right now! :P
xandrew245x
 

Re: WL110

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:22 am

xandrew245x wrote:I could use a small fortune right now! :P



Just give me a large fortune and I can help you out there. Ha ha :D
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: WL110

PostBy: xandrew245x On: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 am

Flyer5 wrote:
xandrew245x wrote:I could use a small fortune right now! :P



Just give me a large fortune and I can help you out there. Ha ha :D


If I had one I would be glad to share!
xandrew245x
 

Re: WL110

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am

xandrew245x wrote:

Just give me a large fortune and I can help you out there. Ha ha :D


If I had one I would be glad to share![/quote]


ME TOO!! If I won the 600 million on the lottery last week I would have given out a lot of free boilers.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Visit Leisure Line Stove