Shootings and where the problem begins

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: KLook On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Good post for sure. I had no idea what to do with twin 3 year olds but I went with what my parents did and what do you know? I have productive honest kids that everyone comments on how I did such a great job with. ????ME??? LOL Well, I credit my father and mother, with the consistent even discipline needed for young boys. And guns were everywhere. Same with mine.

DId anyone else hear an annoying buzz a couple posts back????

Kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: jpete On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Northern Maine wrote:
I understand what your trying to purvey...but, parenting does not come with a handbook and what is "good parenting"? Parenting is a process of learning these days. What works for some may not work for another...What works one day may not work the next...


Here's my self written "Children Rearing Handbook"

"If what you are doing isn't producing the desired results, do something else."

I've got 3 boys, what works for one, doesn't for another. Imagine, that! They are all individuals!

I was just in a store and the trailer queen was berating her little rug rat. The kid clearly didn't care about a word she was saying but she kept saying it. That's unsuccessful parenting.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: Rwalker On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Great post. Could not agree more about the role two parents play in a childs life. Gotta tell you though that I don't feel so good about the "Daddy's pow-pow on the night stand" aspect of your post. I am sure your children are like most in that while they know right from wrong, eventually the lure of that forbidden device will be too much to resist. The gun should be safely stored where kids cannot access it. That is the only kind of gun control I believe in. Well that and hitting your target.


Accidents happen when you hide your weapons from your children and they find them, not knowing what they are, and get excited and BAM, someone gets killed. My 8 year old has his own cricket .22.

As my best friend says, who is a sniper for the state police, a locked gun does you no good. The 3 criminals that just kicked your door in arent going to wait for you to unlock your weapon. Sorry, my .45 is always at the ready. All I have to do it pull the action back and squeeze the trigger 7 times. When I am out and carrying concealed, I carry with a live round in the chamber. You might have .01 seconds to react. That is enough time to pop the safety and squeeze the trigger.

My kids have been around guns and know the difference. I am confident when I lay down at night with my trusty .45 beside me that my kids will get no where near it. Even if they did, a 3 year old couldnt even come close to pulling the action back on my .45, taking off the safety, or pulling the trigger. My wife barely can.

You do what you do in your house, in my house, my go to weapon is at the ready.
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983


Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:29 pm

HC, do you ever actually read some of the nonsense you post on here? Just wonderin.
homecomfort wrote:one cannot label parents as "Lazy" many struggle under less than ideal situations, and not all have any responsibility for their child's violent action. But Lazy does apply, to Americans who need to own a device that makes KILLING a human very easy, and impersonal. Gone are the days of diplomacy, walk away, fist fight at worst, careful reaction the the situation ,police intervention. now, it is " shoot first, ask questions later, ? like WHO exactly is having their life snuffed out. Some are criminals, but most are innocent killings from accidental shooting, stolen weapon used in crime, mistaken identity etc. in an ironic twist of ironic sickness, gun purveyors, manufacturers, gun shops etc, make a ton more profit $ when massacres happen, because scared, lazy Americans, no , americans, illogically RUN to their local gunshop, to add to the flood of killing devices. the Brain is mightier than the bullet, looks like America has more bullets than brains.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: Rwalker On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:30 pm

mozz wrote:"Violent video games dont make kids violent."
I have to disagree on that one. Kids should also not be watching violent movies. Parents shouldn't drink in front of their kids. Escape from reality and the kids start believing tv and video games are real life. Bang bang, the guy is dead, i have 4000 points. Would you like to reload? You have 4000 points. Would you like to buy a better weapon? You need to kill more to gain points and be the high scorer. Norway was what 77? VA tech was 33?
Lets see what movies are on tonight. Oh, "The walking dead", i guess the idea is to kill them. What else. Lethal Weapon. World series of poker. Teen Mom. Bad girls need love too.
Lets see what video games are on sale for Christmas.
3-5 yeasr old, ELMO and Mickey, not bad.
6-9years sports and Mario, not bad again.10-12 sports, dancing,Disney.

13-16 racing, wrestling, now i am gonna quote some of the "themes" that the games start getting into.

"desperate bid for survival that strains the limits of his endurance and forces him to confront his deepest fears"
"skills, arsenal and physical characteristics to survive"
"players accumulate points by engaging hordes of thugs"
" key here is to chain together as many attacks as possible"
"time-based stealth mode where players must hone their ability to strike silently from the shadows"
"ability to quickly strike from above and at a distance and to take out enemies and create distractions, even through walls"

Oh, did i mention this is just "Batman"
"Your enemies will congregate around trouble areas and work as a team against you, so you must be silent, plan your attacks wisely, strike quickly and discover the value of encouraging fear within enemies."
That about sums it up for that age group. So the kids under 13 are looking forward to some violence when they get older, gee, i can't wait. My dad has guns, i seen them when he gets custody of me every other weekend. Here we go, Call of duty, still under 13-16 age group. Starcraft, "over 30 new units and weapons at your command" "Torch foes with the Hellion’s flamethrower, ambush adversaries with acid-spewing Banelings or deploy the Void Ray’s prismatic beam to annihilate your enemies."
Cool, more killing, i can't wait to grow up and get to play the 17and up age games. Mommy wouldn't buy me a game unless i wasn't in the right age group right?
I personally like this title "The world ends with you".

Now we skip up to the 17 year old age group. You are now considered "mature"
Well it looks like each and every game has a weapon on the cover, great, we all have 1 purpose, to kill.
"Customize your weapons, your skills and your approach to each mission, whether you favor intense run-and-gun action, stealthy close-up takedowns or long-range sniping."
"Encounter an engaging and disturbed cast of characters as you take a gritty journey to the dark side of humanity" Hey, i work with these people everyday! I can relate.
"players have the choice to punish or show mercy for their foes in fun and twisted ways"
Be different, that's what i was always told.
"attack enemies head-on as they respond to your aggressiveness"
"show no mercy and leave a path of destruction in your wake"
"Combining your suite of supernatural abilities and weapons opens up even more ways to overcome obstacles and eliminate targets"
" ruthlessly attack them head on with weapons drawn"
"The truth behind your betrayal is as murky as the waters surrounding the city, and the life you once had is gone forever. " Great, i was looking for direction, thanks. They will ask "why" when i am done.
"Stalk from the shadows or rush in guns blazing thanks to fully-evolved game mechanics and a sophisticated AI-System that responds realistically to every tactic you employ" I know this already, i am in control.
"focus your “Point-Shooting” abilities to unleash a barrage of insanely accurate shots." I have worked on this for so long................
Yeah, buy your kids violent video games, it will help him later in life, his is going to be short.

All quotes are from their respective video game designers, no copyright infringement are meant because they are right in front of your eyes. XBOX PLAYSTATION


Well I must be the most violent person around then because I played violent video games, watched violent movies, and even snuck a look at my brother's Playboys. That's how it goes with 2 older brothers.

If you cant teach your kid the difference between a game and reality, that is on you. We shoot zombies like crazy around here, and we love Assassins Creed 3 and the Call of Duty games. The boys run through the house with their Nerf guns shooting bad guys all day long. Man, I better be careful, they will be ruined for life. Oh, wait a minute...my 8 year old is a star football and baseball player and straight A student. My 5 year old just started school and she can read already and is doing simple math and is at the top of her class. He teacher put her at the "good" table with 4 other kids that she can trust and doesnt need to watch all the time. She is also an awesome gymnast. Damn those violent games ruining them!!!

As for myself, well I graduated Magna *censored* Laude from college and I have a great career that I enjoy. My criminal record consists of a speeding ticket for going 75 in a 55 when I was 18. Damn those car racing games!!!

If mom and dad spent more time with their kids, these games would just be what they are G.A.M.E.S. My kids would rather go fishing or hiking or hunting, but this time of year there isnt much to do, so we kill zombies.

Give me a break. Parent your damn kids.
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: homecomfort On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 pm

a big part of the problem is, math, the number and easy availability of fire arms in this country. If there were 280,000 guns(registered) as opposed to, correct me if I am wrong, 280 MILLION, almost one gun for every man, woman and ,Child. 50 years ago, it was not popular for a middle aged un married female to own any gun, let alone 2 handguns, and a near assault weapon. so her brat would not have had the means to easily, or at all, kill the Children of America. today, as in 2012, it is considered cool, and a recreational "sport" for everyone to own, and fire weapons. America, we reap what we sow. God Help Us
homecomfort
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Franco-Belge,+ Penn Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: Normandie, + Chubby

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: grumpy On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:15 pm

homecomfort wrote:a big part of the problem is, math, the number and easy availability of fire arms in this country. If there were 280,000 guns(registered) as opposed to, correct me if I am wrong, 280 MILLION, almost one gun for every man, woman and ,Child. 50 years ago, it was not popular for a middle aged un married female to own any gun, let alone 2 handguns, and a near assault weapon. so her brat would not have had the means to easily, or at all, kill the Children of America. today, as in 2012, it is considered cool, and a recreational "sport" for everyone to own, and fire weapons. America, we reap what we sow. God Help Us



More guns than ever and the crime rate keeps going down, more guns less crime.. :D
grumpy
 

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: Ed.A On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Rwalker wrote:
One of the reasons I like this forum is there seems to be a lot of people on here that make a lot of sense. You are one of the ones that make NO sense to me.



:clap: Heheh, trust me you are not alone.
Ed.A
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: samhill On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:35 pm

50 years ago the odds were that a mother could stay at home & raise her children because the father made enough to live on, most times just enough but still enough, people didn't have needs & wants all mixed up. They saved for those extras that they knew were coming, washer, dryer, tv, fridge even then they didn't last forever but they did last a lot longer. Now I sometimes think there are more single moms than married, they can't wait for their wants & have way more than they need already. No one home when the child gets out of school, free time on a young is many times not a good thing, years ago they would run home get out of school clothes & be off & running with others & safe, everyone knew who's kid you were & could yell at you if you were doing wrong & you only hoped they wouldn't tell your parents. Most food was home cooked without all the chemicals added, not sure if all this & more adds up to all that much but I think there is something to it. Don't know how we could fix it real quick like but you can't IMO put all this blame on people especially single parents for doing what they sometimes feel they have to do. I raised mine from (9 & 10 years old) & believe me I am glad it was years ago & I had a lot of willing friends, something you don't see all that much of in many areas these days.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: tsb On: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 pm

tsb
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 am

freetown fred wrote:HC, do you ever actually read some of the nonsense you post on here? Just wonderin


:lol: Fred you must be my long lost brother. I was wondering the exact same thing.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: SuperBeetle On: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 am

An almost assault weapon. Guess maybe I just may have a few of those around here somewhere. As for what I carry and shoot the most. That would be a FEG R61 .380. Easy to conceal and accurate and reliable enough for me to trust it with my life on a daily basis.
SuperBeetle
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: SteveZee On: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:46 am

Rwalker wrote:
mozz wrote:"Violent video games dont make kids violent."
I have to disagree on that one. Kids should also not be watching violent movies. Parents shouldn't drink in front of their kids. Escape from reality and the kids start believing tv and video games are real life. Bang bang, the guy is dead, i have 4000 points. Would you like to reload? You have 4000 points. Would you like to buy a better weapon? You need to kill more to gain points and be the high scorer. Norway was what 77? VA tech was 33?
Lets see what movies are on tonight. Oh, "The walking dead", i guess the idea is to kill them. What else. Lethal Weapon. World series of poker. Teen Mom. Bad girls need love too.
Lets see what video games are on sale for Christmas.
3-5 yeasr old, ELMO and Mickey, not bad.
6-9years sports and Mario, not bad again.10-12 sports, dancing,Disney.

13-16 racing, wrestling, now i am gonna quote some of the "themes" that the games start getting into.

"desperate bid for survival that strains the limits of his endurance and forces him to confront his deepest fears"
"skills, arsenal and physical characteristics to survive"
"players accumulate points by engaging hordes of thugs"
" key here is to chain together as many attacks as possible"
"time-based stealth mode where players must hone their ability to strike silently from the shadows"
"ability to quickly strike from above and at a distance and to take out enemies and create distractions, even through walls"

Oh, did i mention this is just "Batman"
"Your enemies will congregate around trouble areas and work as a team against you, so you must be silent, plan your attacks wisely, strike quickly and discover the value of encouraging fear within enemies."
That about sums it up for that age group. So the kids under 13 are looking forward to some violence when they get older, gee, i can't wait. My dad has guns, i seen them when he gets custody of me every other weekend. Here we go, Call of duty, still under 13-16 age group. Starcraft, "over 30 new units and weapons at your command" "Torch foes with the Hellion’s flamethrower, ambush adversaries with acid-spewing Banelings or deploy the Void Ray’s prismatic beam to annihilate your enemies."
Cool, more killing, i can't wait to grow up and get to play the 17and up age games. Mommy wouldn't buy me a game unless i wasn't in the right age group right?
I personally like this title "The world ends with you".

Now we skip up to the 17 year old age group. You are now considered "mature"
Well it looks like each and every game has a weapon on the cover, great, we all have 1 purpose, to kill.
"Customize your weapons, your skills and your approach to each mission, whether you favor intense run-and-gun action, stealthy close-up takedowns or long-range sniping."
"Encounter an engaging and disturbed cast of characters as you take a gritty journey to the dark side of humanity" Hey, i work with these people everyday! I can relate.
"players have the choice to punish or show mercy for their foes in fun and twisted ways"
Be different, that's what i was always told.
"attack enemies head-on as they respond to your aggressiveness"
"show no mercy and leave a path of destruction in your wake"
"Combining your suite of supernatural abilities and weapons opens up even more ways to overcome obstacles and eliminate targets"
" ruthlessly attack them head on with weapons drawn"
"The truth behind your betrayal is as murky as the waters surrounding the city, and the life you once had is gone forever. " Great, i was looking for direction, thanks. They will ask "why" when i am done.
"Stalk from the shadows or rush in guns blazing thanks to fully-evolved game mechanics and a sophisticated AI-System that responds realistically to every tactic you employ" I know this already, i am in control.
"focus your “Point-Shooting” abilities to unleash a barrage of insanely accurate shots." I have worked on this for so long................
Yeah, buy your kids violent video games, it will help him later in life, his is going to be short.

All quotes are from their respective video game designers, no copyright infringement are meant because they are right in front of your eyes. XBOX PLAYSTATION


Well I must be the most violent person around then because I played violent video games, watched violent movies, and even snuck a look at my brother's Playboys. That's how it goes with 2 older brothers.

If you cant teach your kid the difference between a game and reality, that is on you. We shoot zombies like crazy around here, and we love Assassins Creed 3 and the Call of Duty games. The boys run through the house with their Nerf guns shooting bad guys all day long. Man, I better be careful, they will be ruined for life. Oh, wait a minute...my 8 year old is a star football and baseball player and straight A student. My 5 year old just started school and she can read already and is doing simple math and is at the top of her class. He teacher put her at the "good" table with 4 other kids that she can trust and doesnt need to watch all the time. She is also an awesome gymnast. Damn those violent games ruining them!!!

As for myself, well I graduated Magna *censored* Laude from college and I have a great career that I enjoy. My criminal record consists of a speeding ticket for going 75 in a 55 when I was 18. Damn those car racing games!!!

If mom and dad spent more time with their kids, these games would just be what they are G.A.M.E.S. My kids would rather go fishing or hiking or hunting, but this time of year there isnt much to do, so we kill zombies.

Give me a break. Parent your damn kids.


I'm sorry (and no I don't know you personally ) but since you're spouting off about parenting and the virtues of virtual killing (at this time of year) yes maybe you are violent? You certainly profess to be quite capable of it? Look at your signature line! Your praying to the lord for the ability to kill someone! Come on, of all the things someone might actually pray for (and have it in a signature line for the world to see) that would be letting the world know what a bad ass you feel you are. Maybe it's paranoia that drives this but you put it out there that you're a cowboy who is unwilling to leave it to "The Professionals" and look to me like an accident waiting to happen.

There is nothing in the world you can say that will convince me that it's responsible parenting to give a .22 to an 8 year old and have unfettered access to weapons in your house. Your own words "I know they would never go near it" is unrealistic and naive. I truly hope that you never have to go through that pain and loss that could have been preventable. But again, as you stated to others, "that's on you".
I'm sure you are a great Dad and it sounds like you've got exceptional children. This is just where we differ and I only wish you are yours the best that life has to offer.
Last edited by SteveZee on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: cabinover On: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:38 am

Just what is an "almost" assault weapon? I keep watching this thread and the media with Diane Feinstein saying we need assault weapons banned. They have been banned for years. You cannot (for the most part without tons of paperwork) buy an assault weapon. All it takes is for people to keep listening to the soundbites on the news.

As for what these idiots call assault weapons, they're no more than a semi-auto rifle.

A nut is going to do crazy things. Look at the nut in China attacking a school with a knife. Suppose China will ban knives now?
cabinover
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Re: Shootings and where the problem begins

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:11 am

I am still stuck at not understanding why people think we need more laws against guns. Doesn't the law that states the murdering anyone is illegal cover all the gun laws? There are 2 fears I have my 2nd biggest fear is needing to use my weapon to defend my family. My greatest fear is needing my gun to defend my family and not having it.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer