Mental health

Re: Mental health

PostBy: jpete On: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 pm

It would be nice to have one parent always stay home, but the reality is, it's almost impossible for a person to support THEMSELVES on one salary in many areas of the country.

Bringing any more into the equation and things go down hill quick.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Mental health

PostBy: Rwalker On: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:45 pm

My answer to that is simple: dont have kids.

If I can do it wth 4, and my bud who is a manager a Walmart can do it with 4, anyone can.
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

Re: Mental health

PostBy: jpete On: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Rwalker wrote:My answer to that is simple: dont have kids.

If I can do it wth 4, and my bud who is a manager a Walmart can do it with 4, anyone can.


We're already below the "replacement rate". If more people took your advice, the coming crash would have happened a long time ago.

On second thought, maybe I agree with you. :D
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice


Re: Mental health

PostBy: Rwalker On: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Let's face it, most people probably shouldn't have kids anyway... ;)
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

Re: Mental health

PostBy: grumpy On: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:05 pm

grumpy
 

Re: Mental health

PostBy: mikeandgerry On: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Great vid, Grumpy.

While I think everything the vid said is true, it is also more complicated than that: Media pushes people to work to keep up with the Joneses. We have more but are satisfied with less. Christianity is on the decline. Parenting is about the parent more than the child. Electronics separate humans from each other physically and emotionally. The media glorify criminal behavior. Personal gratification comes first.

There are myriad other factors.

One thing is for sure. We don't seem better off for all our stuff
.
mikeandgerry
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Re: Mental health

PostBy: titleist1 On: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:06 am

Rwalker wrote:Let's face it, most people probably shouldn't have kids anyway... ;)


AMEN!! I have made it known regularly that I am more than willing to give up my current occupation(s) & serve as the Reproduction Czar for the US. Usually after attending a school function, municipal parade, one of my yearly trips to WallyWorld or one of my every 5 year trips to the mall I am reminded that people have to pass a test to get a drivers license but there is no test required for active brain matter before reproducing and becoming a daily influence on a developing mind.

I will make the "tough choices" for America as to who is fit to have a kid and who needs tubes tied or grapes snipped. It's actually a pretty easy decision process. After what i saw during one stressful trip to Wallyworld when i was in the electronics area, I came up with one test that involves putting prospective parents in a room with a 2 year old, an x-box game and a six pack of red bull. After 2 minutes it will become obvious that the "adults" are not qualified if they fight with the 2 year old over the use of the x-box and give the kid red bull to drink to keep them quiet.
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Re: Mental health

PostBy: Rwalker On: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:07 pm

mikeandgerry wrote:Great vid, Grumpy.

While I think everything the vid said is true, it is also more complicated than that: Media pushes people to work to keep up with the Joneses. We have more but are satisfied with less. Christianity is on the decline. Parenting is about the parent more than the child. Electronics separate humans from each other physically and emotionally. The media glorify criminal behavior. Personal gratification comes first.

There are myriad other factors.

One thing is for sure. We don't seem better off for all our stuff
.


The video has said what I have been saying all along: it starts with parenting. Parents are too consumed with their own lives that they let TV, the babysitter, daycare, Xbox, Facebook, and whatever else they can parent for them. It starts at home: PERIOD.
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983