Bratkinson wrote:While I haven't gotten a hopper fire yet, I have had an occassion with CO into the house, setting off alarms on all 3 floors.
Happened when the outside temps were above 50 or so and I had dialed back the reostat to about 1.5 on the dial. Only a very small flame at that level. Problem is my 60+ year old brick chimney apparently doesn't vent too well. Last season, when it warmed up, I simply put tin foil over the baro and taped it. Solved the problem in my case.
Sometimes you can get away with that on a week chimney but not recommended, especially not with a powervent no matter what brand stove. You would be better off using a little more coal and raising the idle with no convection fan putting some more heat into the chimney. Or fixing the chimney.