Floor Vents?

Floor Vents?

PostBy: 94Bison On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Hola! I Got the stove working pretty good now! It is located in my basement. I can tell a definite difference in the floor temp upstairs, but I am hoping for a little more impact in the ground floor rooms. I leave the basement door open and it does well in the kitchen area, but at the other end of the house is our living room and master bedroom. Would it be advisable to cut a floor vent in my living room and bedroom? I hate to cut into my hardwood floors, but I also hate spending 5k a year on oil heat. I currently have baseboard hot water heat, so I have no existing ductwork. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy
94Bison
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: Coalfire On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Hate to say it if you just bought the stove, but trade it in for a boiler if you already have hotwater base board




Eric
Coalfire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: Wiz On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Adding floor vents will help allot to heat rooms. Only problem maybe with home owners insurance and local codes..
Wiz
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(


Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: 94Bison On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Eric, I did consider that, but the fit was not very good for my available space. I entertained having one put in my garage, but that would negate the warming of the floors. So, the short of it...i decided on the "radiant heat" option. So, do you think it would help to put a couple floor vents in? Thanks for the reply!
94Bison
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 pm

. No problems here w/ code or home insurance. Vents will definitly improve your heat circulation. They make some nice ones W/ adjustable fins. I have a couple going to the upstairs bedrooms & they do well. Go to top right search box & punch in floor vents. See if anything pops up--plus, GOOGLE floor vents.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: 94Bison On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Wiz wrote:Adding floor vents will help allot to heat rooms. Only problem maybe with home owners insurance and local codes..



Thanks for the input! What they don't know won't hurt them!!!
94Bison
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: Coalfire On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:40 pm

94Bison wrote:Eric, I did consider that, but the fit was not very good for my available space. I entertained having one put in my garage, but that would negate the warming of the floors. So, the short of it...i decided on the "radiant heat" option. So, do you think it would help to put a couple floor vents in? Thanks for the reply!



Ok, you might have better luck making those vents cold air returns, and run a pipe close to the basement floor. One trick is take an incense stick and watch the smoke up high should be going into the rooms, down low should be blowing towards the stove :idea:



Eric
Coalfire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: 94Bison On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Coalfire wrote:
94Bison wrote:Eric, I did consider that, but the fit was not very good for my available space. I entertained having one put in my garage, but that would negate the warming of the floors. So, the short of it...i decided on the "radiant heat" option. So, do you think it would help to put a couple floor vents in? Thanks for the reply!



Ok, you might have better luck making those vents cold air returns, and run a pipe close to the basement floor. One trick is take an incense stick and watch the smoke up high should be going into the rooms, down low should be blowing towards the stove :idea:



Eric



Thanks!
94Bison
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: 94Bison On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 pm

freetown fred wrote:. No problems here w/ code or home insurance. Vents will definitly improve your heat circulation. They make some nice ones W/ adjustable fins. I have a couple going to the upstairs bedrooms & they do well. Go to top right search box & punch in floor vents. See if anything pops up--plus, GOOGLE floor vents.


Thanks!
94Bison
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: grumpy On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:54 pm

94Bison wrote:
Wiz wrote:Adding floor vents will help allot to heat rooms. Only problem maybe with home owners insurance and local codes..



Thanks for the input! What they don't know won't hurt them!!!



No but it will hurt you when and if it comes to bite you in the a$$ . Point is remember your insurance company can say no on a claim.
grumpy
 

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:59 pm

If I remember correctly, there was a situation with a guys RENTALS where he had to get closing floor vents because they were rentals.My ins. co. didn't say anything even when I was burning strictly wood.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: 94Bison On: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:25 pm

freetown fred wrote:If I remember correctly, there was a situation with a guys RENTALS where he had to get closing floor vents because they were rentals.My ins. co. didn't say anything even when I was burning strictly wood.



Goo to hear. I never gave it much thought about checking with my ins co. or code enforcement in regards to adding the floor vents...or the stove for that matter. I will have to check it out.
94Bison
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: Rigar On: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:25 am

98Bison...
Vents will def help let heat up...and floor to floor fans would even push up more heat...but i would keep it simple to start
dont sweat building code to much for now
..FORM C ( application for permit) in the town of Allegheny New York allows for a " solid fuel burning device" or an "insert"... if you're worried about it you could always call code enforcement
... as far as your insurance company goes I would definitely NOT ask your carrier directly... perhaps a phone call to your agent to let him know you may be considering 1 in the future... and get some answers from that.... just a thought.
... good luck and stay warm
Rigar
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: A 150 warm air furnace

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: tsb On: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:07 am

You'll cut the floor vents and things will improve, but in a few
years you'll get the boiler. Then just put throw rugs over the vents.
tsb
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II

Re: Floor Vents?

PostBy: Wiz On: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:34 am

If I remember correctly, there was a situation with a guys RENTALS where he had to get closing floor vents because they were rentals
Fred your memory serves you well :P I'm the landlord that it happen to. In my location it's a code violation do to the reason of fire, fire will spread faster with floor vents. This is also the reason why insurance companies will not insure houses with them.
Wiz
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(