How hot should stove be burning?

How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: 94Bison On: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 am

How hot should the stove burn? I bought a stove thermometer and was interested in what is the accepted burn temp. Also, what adjustments can be made if it is not burning hot enough? Open/close damper more, adjust powerventer? Are there any other adjustments that can be made? Thanks in advance for any input!
94Bison
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: WNY On: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:34 am

it can vary from 200-500+ degrees depending on where you are measuring it and how hot you are burning it.

Each stove is different.

Also, for proper drafting, you need to have a draft gauge and set your draft (.04-.06) accordingly for optimum heat. Too much draft you can be pulling heat out of the stove. Too little, you can CO buildup.

There are a lot of threads on here on Stove Temperatures, Stack Temperatures, etc.....
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: 94Bison On: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:36 am

WNY wrote:it can vary from 200-500+ degrees depending on where you are measuring it and how hot you are burning it.

Each stove is different.

Also, for proper drafting, you need to have a draft gauge and set you draft accordingly for optimum heat. Too much draft you can be pulling heat out of the stove. Too little, you can CO buildup.

There are a lot of threads on here on Stove Temperatures, Stack Temperatures, etc.....


Ok, thanks! I will search "stove temperature" and "stack temperature" to see what I come up with!
94Bison
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: Coalfire On: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:13 am

94Bison wrote:How hot should the stove burn? I bought a stove thermometer and was interested in what is the accepted burn temp. Also, what adjustments can be made if it is not burning hot enough? Open/close damper more, adjust powerventer? Are there any other adjustments that can be made? Thanks in advance for any input!



You have a stoker so your acceptable temp is what it will go to with out pushing hot coals off the burn grate, at max fire you should have about an inch of ash. You will not see good temps though if your power vent is sucking to hard it will pull all the heat out of the stoker.

Just a word of warning if your power vent is drawing to hard, and your hopper gets low on coal, you can pull air in through the hopoper and the fire will follow the coal back.

The manometer is very important


Eric
Coalfire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Re: How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: ted1111 On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:41 pm

new to site and this type of communication just installed a wonder lux wood - coal stove burning wood now i have no damper at all thats not right is it ??damper should be closest to stove or up on pipe away from fire box?? burning alot of wood but great heat ! 25ft of 6" flu on vertical seems good draft do i need a barometric damper?? and mano meter ??dose mano meter have a remote sensor 6 or 8 ft long???? also can i add coal to a wood fire maby large lump for long burn??? thanks for shareing your knowledge all best Ted
ted1111
 
Stove/Furnace Make: wonder lux
Stove/Furnace Model: duel fuel wood-coal

Re: How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: rberq On: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:26 pm

ted1111 wrote:new to site and this type of communication just installed a wonder lux wood - coal stove burning wood now i have no damper at all thats not right is it ??damper should be closest to stove or up on pipe away from fire box?? burning alot of wood but great heat ! 25ft of 6" flu on vertical seems good draft do i need a barometric damper?? and mano meter ??dose mano meter have a remote sensor 6 or 8 ft long???? also can i add coal to a wood fire maby large lump for long burn??? thanks for shareing your knowledge all best Ted

Too many questions all at once, Ted, without enough background information. Are you thinking of anthracite coal or bituminous? Big difference, looks like your stove can handle both.... Sounds like you should have plenty of draft. Most coal burners do use a barometric damper, but not for wood! Many also use the old-fashioned pipe damper along with the baro, some use only one or the other. A manometer can help, can't hurt. Use the forum search (upper right) to explore the topics, spend some time browsing and reading especially in the Hand Fed Stove section. Also search the "bituminous" threads if that's the type of coal you have access to. Then maybe post a new thread or two to focus in on specific questions. Sorry, I'm not trying to put you off, just don't have enough information to really address your questions and don't want to steer you wrong.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: Joeski On: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:44 am

Coalfire wrote:
94Bison wrote:How hot should the stove burn? I bought a stove thermometer and was interested in what is the accepted burn temp. Also, what adjustments can be made if it is not burning hot enough? Open/close damper more, adjust powerventer? Are there any other adjustments that can be made? Thanks in advance for any input!



You have a stoker so your acceptable temp is what it will go to with out pushing hot coals off the burn grate, at max fire you should have about an inch of ash. You will not see good temps though if your power vent is sucking to hard it will pull all the heat out of the stoker.

Just a word of warning if your power vent is drawing to hard, and your hopper gets low on coal, you can pull air in through the hopoper and the fire will follow the coal back.

The manometer is very important


Eric


You have a stoker so your acceptable temp is what it will go to with out pushing hot coals off the burn grate, at max fire you should have about an inch of ash.
So Eric if the temperature outside is lower then it has been and the wind is really blowing would the temp of the stove be effected? I'm not sure if I'm asking this question correctly. My stove temp on the out side of the stove above the top door was at around 550 until today when it went to 400 until I increased the feed rate. I hope I'm making sense but it is late and I'm sleepy. Thank you for your knowledge.
Joeski
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

Re: How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: Joeski On: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:52 am

Coalfire wrote:
94Bison wrote:How hot should the stove burn? I bought a stove thermometer and was interested in what is the accepted burn temp. Also, what adjustments can be made if it is not burning hot enough? Open/close damper more, adjust powerventer? Are there any other adjustments that can be made? Thanks in advance for any input!



You have a stoker so your acceptable temp is what it will go to with out pushing hot coals off the burn grate, at max fire you should have about an inch of ash. You will not see good temps though if your power vent is sucking to hard it will pull all the heat out of the stoker.

Just a word of warning if your power vent is drawing to hard, and your hopper gets low on coal, you can pull air in through the hopoper and the fire will follow the coal back.

The manometer is very important


Eric


You have a stoker so your acceptable temp is what it will go to with out pushing hot coals off the burn grate, at max fire you should have about an inch of ash.
So Eric if the temperature outside is lower then it has been and the wind is really blowing would the temp of the stove be effected? I'm not sure if I'm asking this question correctly. My stove temp on the out side of the stove above the top door was at around 550 until today when it went to 400 until I increased the feed rate. I hope I'm making sense but it is late and I'm sleepy. Thank you for your knowledge.
Joeski
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

Re: How hot should stove be burning?

PostBy: Coalfire On: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:44 am

Joeski wrote:
Coalfire wrote:
94Bison wrote:How hot should the stove burn? I bought a stove thermometer and was interested in what is the accepted burn temp. Also, what adjustments can be made if it is not burning hot enough? Open/close damper more, adjust powerventer? Are there any other adjustments that can be made? Thanks in advance for any input!



You have a stoker so your acceptable temp is what it will go to with out pushing hot coals off the burn grate, at max fire you should have about an inch of ash. You will not see good temps though if your power vent is sucking to hard it will pull all the heat out of the stoker.

Just a word of warning if your power vent is drawing to hard, and your hopper gets low on coal, you can pull air in through the hopoper and the fire will follow the coal back.

The manometer is very important


Eric


You have a stoker so your acceptable temp is what it will go to with out pushing hot coals off the burn grate, at max fire you should have about an inch of ash.
So Eric if the temperature outside is lower then it has been and the wind is really blowing would the temp of the stove be effected? I'm not sure if I'm asking this question correctly. My stove temp on the out side of the stove above the top door was at around 550 until today when it went to 400 until I increased the feed rate. I hope I'm making sense but it is late and I'm sleepy. Thank you for your knowledge.



You should not have to adjust your feed rate. You should set your base feed rate so at a constant run you have an inch of ash at the end of the grate. That way when you are under operation, when the stove needs to put out max heat it will do so safely. your base setting will not change based on outside temp, could it have not been set correctly before?


Eric
Coalfire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Visit Hitzer Stoves