Pocono new owner

Pocono new owner

PostBy: Reichard On: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:23 pm

I just purchased a slightly used Leisure Line Pocono. I have it "dialed in" well but the feeder motor is quite noisy -- gear noise on the "push" stroke I'd surmise. Is this by design? Perhaps I need a new motor?
Reichard
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

Re: Pioneer new owner

PostBy: av8r On: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:30 pm

I have the Hearth, which is the Pioneer with a side feed. I do hear the feeder motor, but nothing I'd call loud. Sound is so subjective...hard to quantify it. Call Jerry at LL, he'll take very good care of you I'm sure.
av8r
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hearth model with twin turbos

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: WNY On: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:03 pm

You might hear the motor/gears hum and/or grind a little bit pushing the stoker back/forth. Mine actually whine a bit. The gear box might need some grease or something needs lubricated....
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Visit Leisure Line Stove

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: Jerry & Karen On: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi Reichard,
Sometimes coal fines get under the shovel (carpet) and raise it off of the grate. When this happens it pinches the shovel against the metal plate on the back of the feeder. This causes drag on the shovel, in turn excess labor on the motor. There's not a whole lot to be done to correct it once it happens. I would run it till it till it dies, or get a spare so your ready. Remember, the stove never breaks when you don't need it.
Jerry LLS
Jerry & Karen
 

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: LsFarm On: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:21 pm

Couldn't you burn up the coal in the hopper, remove the stoker mechanism, and clean and vacuum out the fines from under the shovel??

Greg L

.
LsFarm
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: coalstoves On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:52 am

Leisure Line wrote:Hi Reichard,
Sometimes coal fines get under the shovel (carpet) and raise it off of the grate. When this happens it pinches the shovel against the metal plate on the back of the feeder. There's not a whole lot to be done to correct it once it happens. I would run it till it till it dies, or get a spare so your ready.
Jerry LLS


LsFarm wrote:Couldn't you burn up the coal in the hopper, remove the stoker mechanism, and clean and vacuum out the fines from under the shovel??

Greg L


This thread didn't go to far, I wondered the same thing that Greg L did L.L.'s answer seemed a bit damning, and the original poster has never made more than 2 posts it has to make you wonder what happened to him/her
coalstoves
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman and Liberty
Stove/Furnace Model: Magnum and Victory 700

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: av8r On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:20 am

That whole assembly seems pretty simple to remove and clean. Maybe Jerry knows something we don't?
av8r
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hearth model with twin turbos

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: WNY On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:26 am

Mine was making a clinking/grinding noise last night, So, I dropped the stoker motor (2 nuts) and move the stoker/carpet back and forth by hand holding down to loosen anything under the plate mechanism. It Seemed good this morning. I did have a lot fines under the plate and it was all coming back onto the motors and floor....will have to check again and clean better next time I shut it down.

I think you might even be able to slide the stoker plate out from the back once dropping the stoker motor down. I didn't pull it that far back. Not sure if there is a stop to keep it form going too far? it only travels 1/2"-1" back and forth.
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: av8r On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:30 am

WNY wrote:Mine was making a clinking/grinding noise last night, So, I dropped the stoker motor (2 nuts) and move the stoker/carpet back and forth by hand holding down to loosen anything under the plate mechanism. It Seemed good this morning. I did have a lot fines under the plate and it was all coming back onto the motors and floor....will have to check again and clean better next time I shut it down.

I think you might even be able to slide the stoker plate out from the back once dropping the stoker motor down. I didn't pull it that far back. Not sure if there is a stop to keep it form going too far? it only travels 1/2"-1" back and forth.


I think you're right. I don't believe there is anything stopping the carpet from being pulled out from the back once the stoker arm and bearing have been removed from the shaft. Would seem reasonable to clean that area once in a while.
av8r
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hearth model with twin turbos

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: gambler On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:00 pm

av8r wrote:I think you're right. I don't believe there is anything stopping the carpet from being pulled out from the back once the stoker arm and bearing have been removed from the shaft. Would seem reasonable to clean that area once in a while.


You still have to at least drop the stoker motor down because the carpet will not go up over the motor shaft. So you can just leave the stoker arm on and drop the motor down.
gambler
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: Jerry & Karen On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear on the shovel thing. Cleaning under the shovel is needed, but the damage to the motor might be lasting. I think in the manual we recommand cleaning under the shovel every two tons of coal.
Jerry
Jerry & Karen
 

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: smith10210 On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Leisure Line wrote:I'm sorry that I wasn't clear on the shovel thing. Cleaning under the shovel is needed, but the damage to the motor might be lasting. I think in the manual we recommand cleaning under the shovel every two tons of coal.
Jerry

What's the best way to get at it and the under the grate?. I shut my stove down today and cleaned my chimney and inside of my stove out. I also took the shop vac to the grate and wanted to clean under the grate but it looked liked it was one piece so I just vacumed it out from the top. Does the feeder assembly come apart to get under the grate?. I assume if it does you have to pull the whole assembly out from the stove and open it up. At the time I assembled my stove I didn't look to see if it did..
smith10210
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: Jerry & Karen On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:36 pm

You can disassemble the feeder without removing it. The grate will lift off from the front. Tap it upward with a hammer in the front to loosin it then pull forward. You'll see it sets inside a channel and kind of locks in place. The gasket that is in the back of the grate is very, very, very important. This gasket seals off the grate from the feeder chassis. If not inplace there will be a hopper fire. The gasket is 1/4 X 3/4 flat gasket material. You can pick it up at any stove shop.
Jer
Jerry & Karen
 

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: smith10210 On: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:50 pm

Leisure Line wrote:You can disassemble the feeder without removing it. The grate will lift off from the front. Tap it upward with a hammer in the front to loosin it then pull forward. You'll see it sets inside a channel and kind of locks in place. The gasket that is in the back of the grate is very, very, very important. This gasket seals off the grate from the feeder chassis. If not inplace there will be a hopper fire. The gasket is 1/4 X 3/4 flat gasket material. You can pick it up at any stove shop.
Jer

I'll do that at the end of the season than. I don't feel like shutting it down again since I just cleaned it and only burned 3/4 of a ton so far. I'll probably only burn two ton this season.. Glad to now it comes apart and is that easy.Thanks for the info Jerry..
smith10210
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

Re: Pocono new owner

PostBy: WillCulp On: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Does anyone know the cost of a new motor ?

TIA
WillCulp
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line -- Quadrafire
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono - Castile Pellet

Visit Leisure Line Stove