What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: Dann757 On: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:55 pm

jpete wrote:The Germans were doing just fine without us. Maybe we should figure out how they turned their economy around and try that instead of what D.C. is doing?! It's so crazy, it just might work!


Oh, I was just going by a show I saw; they were saying most people wanted to let Germany "Lie in its ashes". I thought the country was bombed into rubble but I guess they still had a lot of money. I didn't think they were capable of turning their own economy around.

But back on track, if it was a terrorist attack they probably would have downplayed it.
Dann757
 

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: jpete On: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Well, history is written by the winners so what we know isn't necessarily true.

If it was a terrorist act, we'd probably have gotten a new Federal department out of it.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: Dann757 On: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:03 pm

jpete wrote:Well, history is written by the winners so what we know isn't necessarily true.


I guess you like to criticise your own country with pretty much everything.
Dann757
 


Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:25 am

Dann757 wrote:
jpete wrote:Well, history is written by the winners so what we know isn't necessarily true.


I guess you like to criticise your own country with pretty much everything.


I like to tell the truth as much as possible. Why is it so hard to admit that people can do things that don't require U. S. government intervention?

You'll never get me to submit to nationalism. In fact, they tried nationalism in Germany shortly before the German Miracle.

If my country is right, I'll say so. If it is wrong, I'll also say so. It's what the Founders would have wanted.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 am

jpete wrote:I like to tell the truth as much as possible. Why is it so hard to admit that people can do things that don't require U. S. government intervention?


Who's truth? Your truth? You're telling your opinion.You're the same guy that I recall stating that Pearl Harbor was our fault.

jpete wrote:You'll never get me to submit to nationalism. In fact, they tried nationalism in Germany shortly before the German Miracle.


That's interesting, because I was thinking you'll never get me to give up my national pride. German nationalism was Naziism. My outlook on US nationalism is that it's being undermined. The kind of nationalism the world has never seen; a free and open society; is being encroached on. I just wonder how you can be a proponent of the Constitution, and at the same time seem to disapprove of your country's historical actions that freed the world from tyranny in WWII , for example.

Sorry for the drift. This Monkey got in power, the second time,off the loss of righteous nationalism so prevalent in today's youth. They all have no national pride or patriotism for this country... These are the enemies among us that downplay terrorism, and seek to destroy the Constitution.
Dann757
 

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: rberq On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

oros35 wrote:So do you think we would be discussing the same gun control subjects if the attack was a result of a terrorist group (such as Al Qaida or similar)?

Oops, I'm a few days behind the curve on this thread. After the World Trade Center attack, we discussed how easy it was for terrorists to get onto airplanes and take them over. So yes, if the school attack had been done by Islamic terrorists who bought their weapons here in this country, I think we would be discussing which weapons should be readily available, and how to screen the buyers.

Why not pre-wire all our elementary schools with dynamite, and put a push button on the lamp post outside? Anyone so inclined could walk up and push the button at any time. That would make it only marginally easier than today's situation, where anyone so inclined can buy an assault rifle, pre-load a few 50-round clips, and blast his way into kindergarten. It takes both opportunity and inclination to commit a crime like this, but the firearms industry wants you to focus only on the inclination part.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 am

That's like saying the auto industry is esponsible for drunk driving . Or saying the airline industry is responsible for bird strikes that take down airliners.
This was a statistically insignificant event, immediately exploited those who would strip us of our constitutional rights.
Dann757
 

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: rberq On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:22 am

Dann757 wrote:This Monkey got in power, the second time,off the loss of righteous nationalism so prevalent in today's youth. They all have no national pride or patriotism for this country...

Righteous nationalism is not patriotism. It' more like the mindless tribal enthusiasm of middle-school students at a football game who yell, "We're number one! We're number one!", when in fact their school is nothing special and no different than a thousand others.

And speaking of mindless mutterings, Mr. New Jersey, take your "Monkey" remarks to a black neighborhood in Camden and see if they go over well. Take some bananas with you and pass them out.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: jpete On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Dann757 wrote:
jpete wrote:I like to tell the truth as much as possible. Why is it so hard to admit that people can do things that don't require U. S. government intervention?


Who's truth? Your truth? You're telling your opinion.You're the same guy that I recall stating that Pearl Harbor was our fault.


Opinion? I provided references. It's not an opinion. It's a historical FACT. Hard currency did more to bring Germany back from ruin after the war than anything else.

Dann757 wrote:
jpete wrote:You'll never get me to submit to nationalism. In fact, they tried nationalism in Germany shortly before the German Miracle.


That's interesting, because I was thinking you'll never get me to give up my national pride. German nationalism was Naziism. My outlook on US nationalism is that it's being undermined. The kind of nationalism the world has never seen; a free and open society; is being encroached on. I just wonder how you can be a proponent of the Constitution, and at the same time seem to disapprove of your country's historical actions that freed the world from tyranny in WWII , for example.

Sorry for the drift. This Monkey got in power, the second time,off the loss of righteous nationalism so prevalent in today's youth. They all have no national pride or patriotism for this country... These are the enemies among us that downplay terrorism, and seek to destroy the Constitution.


Nationalism is nationalism. It doesn't matter in what country it springs up. It's all bad.

By loudly proclaiming "MY COUNTRY!! RIGHT OR WRONG!!" you are affirming that you will stand by and watch while your country does the things you know are wrong. It's not a moral position to hold. It's not what this country was founded on and it is the road to evil.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Isn't that interesting. If you yourself were a country; you would be extremely nationalistic. You're so determined to be right all the time you rigorously defend your opinion as fact!
I've said before, I agree with you 1/2 the time.
It just seems to me you are an extreme proponent of the coal fire, but denounce the stove that has to contain it.

jpete wrote:Nationalism is nationalism. It doesn't matter in what country it springs up. It's all bad.


Nazi-ism can be defined as the forcible oppression of all opposition. Our nation is based on freedom and justice for all. It's not the same.

How can you be a proponent of the Constitution and disregard the very borders it was founded within.

jpete wrote:By loudly proclaiming "MY COUNTRY!! RIGHT OR WRONG!!" you are affirming that you will stand by and watch while your country does the things you know are wrong. It's not a moral position to hold. It's not what this country was founded on and it is the road to evil.


Please, spare me the histrionics. You're right, you're the king of facts, you're the only one that's moral. No wonder you raise so many hackles here. :D

Maybe my perception of your endless points is skewed, but it just seems to me you always blame your own country first, despite all our sacrifices and contributions to the world.
Dann757
 

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:03 pm

rberq wrote:Righteous nationalism is not patriotism. It' more like the mindless tribal enthusiasm of middle-school students at a football game who yell, "We're number one! We're number one!", when in fact their school is nothing special and no different than a thousand others.




So I see you're not a fan of any kind of competition. Many thousands of middle school students have benefitted from the character-building experience of team play, goal oriented games that prepare them for the real world. If a team consistently wins, their school can take a justified sense of pride. Not falling for your liberal everyone gets a trophy so everybody feels good mindset.




rberq wrote: And speaking of mindless mutterings, Mr. New Jersey, take your "Monkey" remarks to a black neighborhood in Camden and see if they go over well. Take some bananas with you and pass them out.


You're right, that was a comment best reserved for conversations with loyal Americans in private. I can see how it would offend a proponent of The King of the Parasites. :D PS, I interact constantly with many races. I wouldn't have to go as far as Camden, I'm within 7 miles of the ghetto.

Sorry, I drifted the topic for my own purposes. Again, if that event had have been terrorist, they certainly would have downplayed it. The administration would have lost face.
Dann757
 

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: jpete On: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Dann757 wrote:, despite all our sacrifices and contributions to the world.


You show me where the Constitution says we should be sacrificing and "contributing" to the world and then you can be right.

In the mean time, here's a couple more "opinions" for you. Argue with them.

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations — entangling alliances with none." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"The principles of Jefferson are the axioms of a free society." ~ Abraham Lincoln
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: rberq On: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Dann757 wrote:
rberq wrote: And speaking of mindless mutterings, Mr. New Jersey, take your "Monkey" remarks to a black neighborhood in Camden and see if they go over well. Take some bananas with you and pass them out.

You're right, that was a comment best reserved for conversations with loyal Americans in private.

Loyal Americans like Strom Thurman and George Wallace. As your pal Joe McCarthy would say, "Are you, or have you ever been, a member of the KKK?"
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: Dann757 On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 pm

rberq wrote:Loyal Americans like Strom Thurman and George Wallace. As your pal Joe McCarthy would say, "Are you, or have you ever been, a member of the KKK?"


He also said, "Are you, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party?"

I guess loyal Americans to you would be Farrakan, Wright, Matt Damon, Morgan Freeman, Sharpton, Jackson....

Don't forget to write Hillary Clinton and ask her to throw the next ambassador to the terrorists, it might help save face.

If this incident was a terrorist attack by towelheads, Obama would have stated that they were KKK members that just got out of the shower. :lol:

Have a great day, of course, no need to lock your doors where you live.
Dann757
 

Re: What if: Terrorist attack rather than disturbed shooter

PostBy: rberq On: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Dann757 wrote:Have a great day, of course, no need to lock your doors where you live.

It's not quite that idyllic here, Dan, but I get your point. If I lived in NJ I'd probably be armed to the teeth, too, and trade my wimpy spaniel for a Rottweiler. :|
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane