My homemade bituminous burner is burning at about 200 to 250 degrees today (magnetic thermometer on stove front near top). Just for kicks, I inserted a thermometer probe into the smokepipe about 18" above the stove collar. The dial immediately pegged the thermometer (max on this HVAC thermometer is 220). The way the dial was moving when it "pegged", it was not stopping anytime soon. Wouldn't surprise me if it was over 300 degree inner stack temp.
So although I'm not measuring the actual firebox temp, but just the single-wall stove temp, it looks to me like I have too much heat going up the chimney. As you may know from another post of mine (Smoke rolls out load door - any advice?
), my 6" chimney gives me trouble with load-door smoke rollout, so I may not have very good draft (although it can really suck a lit newspaper up the chimney when I warm the flue!).
My question is: How do I keep so much heat from going up the stack? A barometric damper, if it would even help, is not an option since I live in Wyoming and only have bituminous coal (risk of blowing soot/smoke into house through baro during occasional ingition of volatiles in chimney).
Without getting into a battle over dampers and getting this thread locked, would a manual damper help? Is that a no-no with marginal draft?
I have four 1-1/2" square tubes running through the top of the firebox that the stove blower moves air through to get heat off the stove, much like the design of the Harman Mark III (see attached photo for an explanation). I'm surprised the stack temps are so high. Any thoughts? Or maybe I'm OK and don't have too much going up the stack. Looking for some feedback.