Coffee 1-26-2013

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 am

FYI: Ford Focus can go 38.2 miles after the low gas light comes on.

The steep hill should not have stopped the car. She could have kicked it in neutral, backed down the hill and then slammed the brakes on and the suging fuel would have been enough for the fuel pump to pick up. She then could have backed up the hill until she got to the top and then drove home.

I grew up on a farm and had to do that trick a few times.
NoSmoke
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: 009to090 On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:41 am

NoSmoke wrote:FYI: Ford Focus can go 38.2 miles after the low gas light comes on.
The steep hill should not have stopped the car. She could have kicked it in neutral, backed down the hill and then slammed the brakes on and the suging fuel would have been enough for the fuel pump to pick up. She then could have backed up the hill until she got to the top and then drove home.

I was thinking the same thing. My neighbor has a Roll-Back deisel that I borrow from time to time. If it only has a couple gallons left in that longgg coffin-shaped fuel tank, it absolutely refuses to go on any inclines at all. Bad tank design. I have had to back it up a steep slope more than once.
009to090
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: samhill On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 am

Smitty, why didn't you take a 5gal can of gas along for the ride & try it before the trailer bit?
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75


Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: freetown fred On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 am

Soooo, let me get this straight, you guys have all become so STUPID--(sorry, is that politically correct??) that you have to have a light come on to let you know you need gas? I seriously need to get off this hill more often!!! :clap: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:55 am

samhill wrote:Smitty, why didn't you take a 5gal can of gas along for the ride & try it before the trailer bit?



Yep. Dump 2 gallons in the car. If it don't start, use the other 3 to douse the car to make sure it will be enough to finish it off !!! :blowup:



Tell 'em, "I don't know what happened. I tried to start it and the next thing I know I see smoke !!!!!!!!"



Problem solved once and for all





Rick
Rick 386
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: SMITTY On: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:56 am

NoSmoke wrote:FYI: Ford Focus can go 38.2 miles after the low gas light comes on.

Yesterday ours went 56.


samhill wrote:Smitty, why didn't you take a 5gal can of gas along for the ride & try it before the trailer bit?

Because 2 gallons costs far less than 5.



freetown fred wrote:Soooo, let me get this straight, you guys have all become so STUPID--(sorry, is that politically correct??) that you have to have a light come on to let you know you need gas? I seriously need to get off this hill more often!!! ....

This is exactly why I was soo pissed off. I was trying to figure out what the hell she was thinking. Did she think the damn car would run on HOPE??? WTF .....

Water under the bridge. Apologized to the wifey for the name calling and making her walk home in the rain, I've calmed down and the shitbox is back on the road. As you were. :D
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: NoSmoke On: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 am

Low Gas Light, is that what that little yellow light is that comes on with a loud beep once and awhile?

Son, we don't have the privileged of owning a lucrative Horse Farm, we make money on the white stuff that comes out of a cows udder, which means we are poor and drive JUNK! We are lucky if the gas gauge works. Couple that with a farm that must rent 46 farms to have enough fields to feed the cows, of which the farthest is 33 miles away and inevitable it is in those farthest fields that you break down and must make 17 trips back to the equipment shop to get all the tools and parts to repair the equipment. Of course this is rolling hill country and populated with more cows then people, and even less gas stations...so oh yes my friend, we run out of fuel a lot!

freetown fred wrote:Soooo, let me get this straight, you guys have all become so STUPID--(sorry, is that politically correct??) that you have to have a light come on to let you know you need gas? I seriously need to get off this hill more often!!! :clap: toothy
NoSmoke
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vogelzang Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: Freddy On: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 am

Good, bad, or indifferent, during my entire childhood my Mom's car and my Dad's truck both had a steel 3 gallon can of gasoline in the trunk at all times.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: steamup On: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 am

NoSmoke wrote:Low Gas Light, is that what that little yellow light is that comes on with a loud beep once and awhile?

Son, we don't have the privileged of owning a lucrative Horse Farm, we make money on the white stuff that comes out of a cows udder, which means we are poor and drive JUNK! We are lucky if the gas gauge works. Couple that with a farm that must rent 46 farms to have enough fields to feed the cows, of which the farthest is 33 miles away and inevitable it is in those farthest fields that you break down and must make 17 trips back to the equipment shop to get all the tools and parts to repair the equipment. Of course this is rolling hill country and populated with more cows then people, and even less gas stations...so oh yes my friend, we run out of fuel a lot!

freetown fred wrote:Soooo, let me get this straight, you guys have all become so STUPID--(sorry, is that politically correct??) that you have to have a light come on to let you know you need gas? I seriously need to get off this hill more often!!! :clap: toothy



Reminds me of my first car. I ran out of gas at 1/4 tank on the fuel gauge. Only had to do it once to know the calibration of the fuel gauge. Never ran out of gas again.
steamup
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Ya gotta love them thar old Chev floatin needles--NOT--but you're right SU--calibration covers it ;)
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Coffee 1-26-2013

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 pm

I also grew up on a large farm with scattered fields...it was standard policy to refuel anything before it was parked at the end of the day, and there was no excuse for running out of fuel in the field when all you had to do was get on the radio and get someone to bring the pickup with the transfer tank. If the big tractors were working far away, I simply had the local fuel company stop by and fill them up. Over 15 years I can count the number of times something ran out of fuel on one hand...and one of those was with me behind the wheel. :oops:
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy