Magic Heat Reclaimers?

Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Anyone using a Magic Heat Reclaimer on their boiler vent pipe? Since I have removed the restrictor plate on my combustion fan, my flue temperature has gone up. I was thinking this might be a way to recover some of that otherwise lost heat.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Rigar On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:29 pm

coalkirk wrote:Anyone using a Magic Heat Reclaimer on their boiler vent pipe? Since I have removed the restrictor plate on my combustion fan, my flue temperature has gone up. I was thinking this might be a way to recover some of that otherwise lost heat.


...coalkirk
..ive wondered about these also (or fabricating something similiar)
Questions tho...
-have you also noticed higher stove temps?
-have you noticed increase of coal usage? (or shorter burns?)

...i I think there is a lot of merit 2 recapturing exhaust heat going up the chimney while not compromising draft...i mean once it goes up that chimney.. it's not doig us any good!!
...thanks
Rigar
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: A 150 warm air furnace

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:33 pm

How much heat are we talking? That VF-3000 runs pretty efficient.
2001Sierra
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent


Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Internal flue temp went from about 275 to 300. That's above the baro.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Rob R. On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm

As long as you kept it free of flyash and it didn't compromise the draft due to lower flue temperatures...it would be fine.

Did removing the restrictor plate allow you to feed more coal?
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Rigar wrote:
coalkirk wrote:Anyone using a Magic Heat Reclaimer on their boiler vent pipe? Since I have removed the restrictor plate on my combustion fan, my flue temperature has gone up. I was thinking this might be a way to recover some of that otherwise lost heat.


...coalkirk
..ive wondered about these also (or fabricating something similiar)
Questions tho...
-have you also noticed higher stove temps?
-have you noticed increase of coal usage? (or shorter burns?)

...i I think there is a lot of merit 2 recapturing exhaust heat going up the chimney while not compromising draft...i mean once it goes up that chimney.. it's not doig us any good!!
...thanks


In my case it's a boiler not a stove. The boiler is performing better for sure. Holding temperature better under the extreme weather we've been having.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Rob R. wrote:As long as you kept it free of flyash and it didn't compromise the draft due to lower flue temperatures...it would be fine.

Did removing the restrictor plate allow you to feed more coal?


The magic heat reclaimer has a cleaning handle that drags a plate over the heat exchanger tubes so I think keeping it clean would not be a problem. I did slightly increase the amount of coal being pushed. Went from about 3 1/2 dots to 4.

I do wonder about the effect it may have on my draft. Was also wondering whether to put it before or after the baro. I think I remember Matthaus with one installed before his baro.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Berlin On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:06 pm

If you have a good drafting chimney and flue temps at about 300 or higher, I'd do it. Almost no moisture in coal flue gas so, other than loss of draft on a mediocre chimney, there's not really any downside like you would have with other fuels such as creosote and/or condensation.
Berlin
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Rigar On: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Berlin wrote:If you have a good drafting chimney and flue temps at about 300 or higher, I'd do it. Almost no moisture in coal flue gas so, other than loss of draft on a mediocre chimney, there's not really any downside like you would have with other fuels such as creosote and/or condensation.


I agree...
I draft well at 80-90 degrees (measured before baro)
...but in this cold snap i have seen stack temps reach over 200 degrees
but i dont know if they make one for 8 inch pipe ?
Rigar
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: A 150 warm air furnace

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: rockwood On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:31 am

Rigar wrote:but i dont know if they make one for 8 inch pipe ?

Yep, they do ;)
rockwood
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic coal furnace
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Soft coal: Lump and stoker (slack coal)

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Wiz On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 pm

don't know if you read this older post already Heat reclaimer
Wiz
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Two problems I see with the hear reclaimer. A) you have a fan running $$$ and B)if you are only using it half the year how long before the corrosion kills it?

I have to wonder if something like this would be more effective, It's passive and the corrosion issue goes away.


http://maderightstoves.com/

Image
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:26 pm

" Heat Bandit $69.95 works on a standard 6 inch pipe
extension straps for 7 or 8 inch pipe $2.95 per pair"

looks cool if the space allows...... not sure if the output is worth it with coal and somewhat low stack temps?
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Poconoeagle wrote:looks cool if the space allows...... not sure if the output is worth it with coal and somewhat low stack temps?


That's the million dollar question, the other issue is how well the heat will transfer between the ring and the flue pipe. You're going to need as much direct contact as possible for the most efficient transfer.

On a side note it wouldn't be hard to build one yourself, I may actually do it.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Magic Heat Reclaimers?

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:38 pm

I also! always jump at the chance to use the spool gun and 100% argon.... 8-)
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska