Powervent question... thanks in advance!

Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Formulabruce On: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:18 pm

HI, Im new here from Northern New England. I have a chance to get a friends Baker fireplace insert stove, which is a Manual feed stove. Wasw considering using in a Big garage situation. I see Powervents but always seem to see them with "stokers". Could a powervent run with a manual stove if the fan control was hooked to a temp switch or? IT sure seems doable, safely, Thanks for any insite, FB
Formulabruce
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove size

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: lsayre On: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Formulabruce wrote:HI, Im new here from Northern New England. I have a chance to get a friends Baker fireplace insert stove, which is a Manual feed stove. Wasw considering using in a Big garage situation. I see Powervents but always seem to see them with "stokers". Could a powervent run with a manual stove if the fan control was hooked to a temp switch or? IT sure seems doable, safely, Thanks for any insite, FB


I don't think you can use a power vent with a hand fired stove. I believe this is mainly because in the event of a power failure a stoker quickly goes out, but a hand fired stove would not go out at all, and the exhaust (lots of it, for hours on end) would dangerously back up into the house.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (It has been fixed!)

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Formulabruce On: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 pm

lsayre wrote:
Formulabruce wrote:HI, Im new here from Northern New England. I have a chance to get a friends Baker fireplace insert stove, which is a Manual feed stove. Wasw considering using in a Big garage situation. I see Powervents but always seem to see them with "stokers". Could a powervent run with a manual stove if the fan control was hooked to a temp switch or? IT sure seems doable, safely, Thanks for any insite, FB


I don't think you can use a power vent with a hand fired stove. I believe this is mainly because in the event of a power failure a stoker quickly goes out, but a hand fired stove would not go out at all, and the exhaust (lots of it, for hours on end) would dangerously back up into the house.

I considered that, what about a battery back up? I have no clue how much power they draw...
Formulabruce
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove size


Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 pm

NO ABSOLUTELY NO !!!!!!!


A fully loaded hopper or fully loaded hand fired appliance has way to much available fuel to continue to burn and produce CO. A hand fired is supposed to burn by natural dfafting from a regular chimney. In the event of any failure the drafting continues due to it being a chimney. Without power a power vent stops all forms of drafting.


A stoker will only burn if the combustion fan and the coal continues to flow. When a power vent shuts down, it usually has a control to shut down the combustion fan and feed mechanism thereby shutting off the burning action and stopping the creation of CO.


Its not just about power to run a power vent, it is also about the failure of anything associated with the power vent, ie, fan clogging, motor seizing, fan blade failure, etc.





Rick
Rick 386
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Formulabruce On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 am

ok, Gotcha, Flue it is then, thanks for the input!!
Formulabruce
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove size

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 am

Bruce,

See if you can put up a block chimney. Once and done. And usually cheaper than double wall pipe.



Rick
Rick 386
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Formulabruce On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:13 am

Blocks and SS liner or the clay?
Formulabruce
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove size

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Joeski On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:44 am

Clay. The SS can degrade due to fly ash. I learned that right here on this board. And if your handy go to the knowledge base up there at the top of this website and you can find directions on building your own. I got a quote from a mason a board member used for a 50 foot block & clay for only $2600.00. A stainless steel quote was almost $7000.00 and will not last as long.

How did I do answering this all you more experienced coal burners?
Joeski
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: baddawg On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:18 am

Joeski wrote:Clay. The SS can degrade due to fly ash. I learned that right here on this board. And if your handy go to the knowledge base up there at the top of this website and you can find directions on building your own. I got a quote from a mason a board member used for a 50 foot block & clay for only $2600.00. A stainless steel quote was almost $7000.00 and will not last as long.

How did I do answering this all you more experienced coal burners?


:clap:

Did so well I thought it was Rick when I was reading it.
baddawg
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:11 pm

baddawg wrote:
Joeski wrote:Clay. The SS can degrade due to fly ash. I learned that right here on this board. And if your handy go to the knowledge base up there at the top of this website and you can find directions on building your own. I got a quote from a mason a board member used for a 50 foot block & clay for only $2600.00. A stainless steel quote was almost $7000.00 and will not last as long.

How did I do answering this all you more experienced coal burners?


:clap:

Did so well I thought it was Rick when I was reading it.



:dancing: :punk: :up: You guys will be able to do this as well.




Rick
Rick 386
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Re: Powervent question... thanks in advance!

PostBy: Joeski On: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Yay :!: This here knucklehead has learned something. Pre nepacrossroads I had no real clue other than coal is the best priced fuel out there today.
Joeski
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading
Stove/Furnace Model: Susquehanna