need more heat

Re: need more heat

PostBy: tstove On: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:19 am

rberq wrote:At lower efficiencies, maybe a lot more than 440 pounds per day. You will need your own railroad siding.

440 ppd,sounds like he need's a nuclear reactor :P :blowup:
tstove
 
Stove/Furnace Make: russo,gibralter
Stove/Furnace Model: c-55,cfi

Re: need more heat

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:08 pm

Dallas wrote:What are you trying to heat with this "outdoor forge"?



Where's the Heathunter? Find a bellows for that forge yet?
Attachments
bellows.jpg
(24.29 KiB) Viewed 2 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]2343[/nepathumb]
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: need more heat

PostBy: heathunter On: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:55 pm

tstove wrote:
rberq wrote:At lower efficiencies, maybe a lot more than 440 pounds per day. You will need your own railroad siding.

440 ppd,sounds like he need's a nuclear reactor :P :blowup:

Well switched it backto wood today it went right up to 170 and has not come down. Anybody need some coal? I do want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I will start checking around for an outdoor coal boiler for next winter.
heathunter
 
Stove/Furnace Make: central boiler

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: need more heat

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:59 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Dallas wrote:What are you trying to heat with this "outdoor forge"?



Where's the Heathunter? Find a bellows for that forge yet?



Love it! Thanks, CS, made me laugh!
We actually have one of those, my wife uses it when she's trying to get the wood stove going. I find the hose from the air compressor more effective.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: need more heat

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:02 pm

heathunter wrote:Well switched it backto wood today it went right up to 170 and has not come down. Anybody need some coal? I do want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I will start checking around for an outdoor coal boiler for next winter.


Did you try a blower?
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: need more heat

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:12 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
heathunter wrote:Well switched it backto wood today it went right up to 170 and has not come down. Anybody need some coal? I do want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I will start checking around for an outdoor coal boiler for next winter.


Did you try a blower?


I think he gave up and went back to wood-fired. I was wondering what the forced draft would do myself. :confused:
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: need more heat

PostBy: cArNaGe On: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:00 pm

I have an outdoor wood boiler. They are way inefficient. Thats why I'm going with a coal boiler.
cArNaGe
 

Re: need more heat

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:32 pm

cArNaGe wrote:I have an outdoor wood boiler. They are way inefficient. Thats why I'm going with a coal boiler.


I saw one a few years ago outside a house I drive by frequently. I was interested in what it was, I read about them online, I wasn't too impressed. At the time, B.C. (before coal), I might have considered one if I had hot water central heat.
Every time I pass that house, the thing is belching out hugh clouds of smoke.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: need more heat

PostBy: heathunter On: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Just to answer your curiosity, yes I put a shop vac blower to the air intake and it really made no impact on the temperature or the amount of coal burning. It was a valid thing to suggest and I had high hopes for good results. What actually releases the heat to the surruonding environment, the blue flame of the coal gas or the red hot bed of coal? The forge concept leaves me to believe the heat stays in the pile of burning coal and the blue flame is heating the water. That seems to fit what I am experiencing. I have an "underground" coal fire going, but it is not heating the air above it other than the burning coal gases released?????
heathunter
 
Stove/Furnace Make: central boiler

Re: need more heat

PostBy: heathunter On: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:54 pm

And yes I did go back to wood and with the wimpiest of fires in there the temp went right up to 170. Inefficient maybe, but effective and I am warm again.
heathunter
 
Stove/Furnace Make: central boiler

Re: need more heat

PostBy: Yanche On: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:46 pm

heathunter wrote:Just to answer your curiosity, yes I put a shop vac blower to the air intake and it really made no impact on the temperature or the amount of coal burning. It was a valid thing to suggest and I had high hopes for good results. What actually releases the heat to the surruonding environment, the blue flame of the coal gas or the red hot bed of coal? The forge concept leaves me to believe the heat stays in the pile of burning coal and the blue flame is heating the water. That seems to fit what I am experiencing. I have an "underground" coal fire going, but it is not heating the air above it other than the burning coal gases released?????
With my AHS 130 you get very little heat unless the combustion blower is running. That is when you have the blue flames and the heat transfer from the combustion gases to the boiler water vessel walls. The rest of the time the coal fire is just idle, just like in a blacksmith's forge before the blower is cranked.
Yanche
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Visit Hitzer Stoves