Need Chimney Experts opinion

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: Yanche On: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Rob R. wrote:Just get rid of the cap entirely. No critters want to live in a chimney with coal smoke going through it...check it in the fall before you light up.

Well, small critters live in my chimney, STINK BUGS. I burn year round and when I shut down for annual cleaning, I was surprised when the fly ash I removed from chimney clean out and put in a bucket was moving. Thought it was a snake, but it was STINK BUGS, many dozens just wiggling away. Killed them by dumping the ash out and running over it with my tractor tire. I suspect they flew in from the top and stayed because it was warm. Some were dead but most were alive!
Yanche
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: Rob R. On: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:07 pm

I have never even seen a stink bug on our property, and after reading about your experience I hope they stay South of Albany!
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: titleist1 On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:20 am

Double ditto on the stink bugs....
I shut down in the warmer months, disconnect the flue to the thimble and seal off the thimble opening with foil. In the fall the last couple years when I remove the foil from the thimble it has been full of dozens and dozens of stink bugs. Since the cap is off the bottom of the T outside I just push them out and then head outside real quick to cap the T again before they fly back in.

I don't know where they hide, but we see them flying around inside the house all winter, 3 or 4 each week. Its real bad when they fall on top of the stoker, get cooked a bit and the smell gets moved around the house. :sick:
titleist1
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite


Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am

Nope, never seen a stink bug here on my hill either--must be you guys that live closer to DC--right where they belong! :whistle: :clap: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: buffalo bob On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am

just be patient they will be there...never had any here till last summer....down east (lancaster co. pa) they have been plauged with them for a few years...you'll love them ... dont squish them they stink...probably another import to git rid of some other bug...they sure have a way of getting into ur house during the winter...we wrap them in tissue or toilet paper and flush or creamate them in the hitzer love that stove...it not only heats goot it creamates goot...mice disappear real good to...
buffalo bob
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: Dennis On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 am

Rob R. wrote:I have never even seen a stink bug on our property, and after reading about your experience I hope they stay South of Albany!

We have stink bugs here also.There are no pesticides to kill them and no natural predators to kill them.They don't live or survive in cold/freezing climates.
Dennis
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: buffalo bob On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:40 am

Dennis wrote:
Rob R. wrote:I have never even seen a stink bug on our property, and after reading about your experience I hope they stay South of Albany!

We have stink bugs here also.There are no pesticides to kill them and no natural predators to kill them.They don't live or survive in cold/freezing climates.


the hell they dont !!!!!! live here in bedford county and it goes weeks that it dont get above freezing and we have them....they find a way to survive...looking out the window now and all i see is white, with brown trees sticking out of the white...
buffalo bob
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: Dennis On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 am

buffalo bob wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Rob R. wrote:I have never even seen a stink bug on our property, and after reading about your experience I hope they stay South of Albany!

We have stink bugs here also.There are no pesticides to kill them and no natural predators to kill them.They don't live or survive in cold/freezing climates.


the hell they dont !!!!!! live here in bedford county and it goes weeks that it dont get above freezing and we have them....they find a way to survive...looking out the window now and all i see is white, with brown trees sticking out of the white...

Your right,but you only find them inside your heated house or embedded in every knook and crack that has heat and away from/protected from the elements.
Dennis
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: coalkirk On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:14 am

No sorry but you are wrong. These things are super bugs. The cold absolutley does not kill them. They might look dead but if you touch them they will start to move. The fact that they can survive in a coal chimney also says they are pretty damn resiliant. Only way to kill them is to smash them (DON'T DO IT!!!) or drown them in soapy water.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: buffalo bob On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 am

coalkirk wrote:No sorry but you are wrong. These things are super bugs. The cold absolutley does not kill them. They might look dead but if you touch them they will start to move. The fact that they can survive in a coal chimney also says they are pretty damn resiliant. Only way to kill them is to smash them (DON'T DO IT!!!) or drown them in soapy water.


now there is a man that knows what he is talking bout!!! dont worry they'll BE BACK...
buffalo bob
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: ONEDOLLAR On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:29 am

Dennis wrote:We have stink bugs here also.There are no pesticides to kill them and no natural predators to kill them.They don't live or survive in cold/freezing climates.


Dennis, NEEM Spray will take care of stickbugs. Best of all Neem is 100% organic and non toxic to birds mamels and fish. You can find Neem concentrate at most garden centers and places like Lowes and Home Depot.
ONEDOLLAR
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #2 Base Heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: jrn8265 On: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 am

Dcrane, thanks and it sounds great but try finding someone who will do a great job as you describe....there are few craftsman left in this world.....most would rather just slap a cap up there and charge me a few hundered bucks!
jrn8265
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker Koker
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker 160

Re: Need Chimney Experts opinion

PostBy: jrn8265 On: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:39 am

Wee She's all fixed. Two new 316 stanless steel caps, spry painted aroud the outside of the top of the liner, brushed off the rust stains and cleaned out the liner.
Attachments
chimneyfix.jpg
(88.46 KiB) Viewed 15 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]41646[/nepathumb]
jrn8265
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker Koker
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker 160