djackman wrote:Couldn't help myself at a swap meet a few weeks ago, picked up a (somewhat) running '78 Honda CX500..... "
That fuel screw pic made me cringe! :shock: He must have hogged that thing in there good!! :lol: Those are cool bikes -- I remember seeing a bunch of them on the road when I was living in Phoenix. They're different -- especially the motor layout & sound. I like bikes that aren't like anything else out there. Good choice! :up:
I'm trying to figure out what you have posted in that pic of the jet -- those are some parts I haven't come across. That must have an odd-ball carb setup too, I'm guessing. I see what looks like a main or intermediate jet, but what the hell are the 3 parts above it??? Those can't be in order of assembly, right? Is that an accelerator pump plunger?? :gee:
EDIT: AHHHH --- that's the plug resistor! Threw me off there for a second! :lol:
Speaking of V-Stars ablumny, I finally got the motor back in the '03 1100 that I've been on for 2 weeks now. Long story short, a friend replaced the starter clutch/sprag & gear. But first, he split the crank end in 3 using an impact gun on the puller without the nut on :shock: :shock: , then, reassembled the bike with the cam timing 4-teeth off. Then after cranking the bike for however many minutes, turned the starter solenoid into a toaster element. I get the bike & a box full of parts to sort through. I diagnosed the bad solenoid & replaced it with one from a '01 R1. Then I fired the bike up & heard a LOUD jackhammer-like sound coming from the top-end. NOT GOOD. That's why you always check & verify cam timing before running & don't go on anyone's word! :o So, intake valve bent & motor has to come out to remove head. After waiting over a week for a used head, I took the intake valve out of that head & just swapped it out. Filled with carb cleaner & not a drop coming out! :dancing: Now, putting the motor back in by myself was fun!! After arm-wrestling it for 4 hours, I decided to build a pulley that I could nail to the ceiling & run my ATV winch rope through it for a make-shift hoist. I used 2 muffler clamps, 2 large washers & on old wheel bearing off the BW. Worked great & the motor is now in & bolted up. Next Monday, I start the jigsaw puzzle of putting it back together -- that's the easy part! WOOHOO!!