Maryland outlaws death penalty

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Rwalker On: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Basically making it legal to murder people now.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... nalty?lite

When will people wake up? I wonder how families feel whose wives, moms, or daughters were savagedly raped and murdered knowing the killer will live on the states dime, getting to lift weights, watch cable TV, and have free meals and nearly free medical care?

The libs will never get it. The death penalty, when used properly, helps curb crime. Much like armed citizens do. I am of the belief if you murder someone, and it can be proven without a shadow of a doubt, they should drag your ass out to city square and hang you. Period. Do that enough times and people will think twice before they commit a violent crime!

So now, it is ok for the killer to kill your family member, but it isnt ok for the state to kill them for it? How about we put them on an island somewhere with nothing, and allow the family to go there and actively hunt the killer? Now that would make for a sweet reality TV show!! :lol:
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:17 pm

I was always a firm believer in the death penalty and still would be if we could guarantee those we were putting to death actually committed the crime.

One person put to death by the State who didn't commit the crime would be too many and due to the enormous amount of people exonerated both on death row and in their grave I can no longer support it.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: grumpy On: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:06 pm

One out of twenty on death row were not guilty.
grumpy
 


Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:03 am

but for the obvious, open and shut cases it is indeed the right punishment. If a person is deviate enough to plan and plot and buy destructive components for his melee and carry out a mass killing and be scene doing it then have a seat in "ole Sparky"


therefore the 19 out of 20 are no longer a threat nor burden and the lawyer can armwrestle over the innocent one. ;)
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: samhill On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:03 am

I kind of agree with PE about the obvious cases but I think an even bigger deterrent would be life without all the comforts afforded them. I kind of figure for a lot of people a life of three hots & a cot ain't all that bad yet alone the medical care, jobs training, educational opportunities & everything else that goes along with it. I can see some of it for non-lifers but many of the lifers get the same, if prison was more like all work & no play (like life on the outside for many) I think many would think twice.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: CoaLen On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:27 am

Here's the problem...
...and it can be proven without a shadow of a doubt...


I used to be all for the death penalty. I lived in Texas for 10 years and it seemed to be a weekly event. Then DNA technology came along and I now think that we probably don't get things as figured out as well as we thought we did. One mistake is more than I'd be willing to accept.
Interesting piece of information: Generally, the states without the death penalty have a lower murder rate than those with the penalty. I don't think it stops anyone from murdering. Drugs, rage, mental illness override any chance of the death penalty having an effect in most instances.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder- ... tate#MRord
CoaLen
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 pm

CoaLen wrote:Generally, the states without the death penalty have a lower murder rate than those with the penalty.


The "death" penalty here in PA really means you're going to be locked in a cell for the rest of your life, I think they only get out 1 hour a day. PA has only executed about 3 people since the early 70's. The last one was during the Ridge administration and the only one I ever recall happening.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Rwalker On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Our last one was 1998 or 99 I believe. They havent used the electric chair in a long time, though they still house it at the prison. I have seen it, and sat in it. Didnt bother me too much, though we tried to get a coworker in and 3 of us couldnt!

The reason it isnt a deterant is because they sit on death row for 30 years with appeals. If once you were proven guilty, you were drug out to the street and had your head lopped off by a hooded henchman, it would deter crime big time. Would be hooligans would only need to see one or 2 heads roll and they would think twice about taking another life.

You have to ask yourself this: if you had to sit in the court room and look at a man who raped, beat, and murdered your teenage daughter, just to hear them give him a 20 to life sentence with the possiblity of parole, what would you do? If you would think he doesnt diserve to die and you could forgive him, then you are a better man then me. I would want him to suffer. I would want him to die the longest, most painful death. I would want him to suffer for days and days, to pray for death to escape the pain. I would certainly want a judge to give him death and see it through to the end.

Sadly our justice system gives no one justice. The guily often dont pay and the victim is still forever changed, or in this instance, dead. I think the world was a much better place back when justice was handled swiftly at the end of a rope or revolver.
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Rwalker wrote:The reason it isnt a deterant is because they sit on death row for 30 years with appeals. If once you were proven guilty, you were drug out to the street and had your head lopped off by a hooded henchman, it would deter crime big time.


I would have to say I'd rather be executed instead of living in a cage for 30 years. Death row inmates stay in their cells and have very little contact with other people. If they weren't nuts when they when in they are now.

You have to ask yourself this:


What you have to ask yourself is what about the numerous people that have been exonerated that have spent decades on death row or are now in the grave. There is a list here of 142 people since 1973, that's a lot.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocen ... -death-row
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:49 pm

I agree Richard, there needs to be definitive - absolute proof that the murder was done by the suspect. Executing innocent people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time is not acceptable... Personally, I think a solution for this would be to have guidelines that detail what definitive and absolute proof would be. With the current technology it seems like this kind of proof would be within reach.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Rwalker On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Rwalker wrote:The reason it isnt a deterant is because they sit on death row for 30 years with appeals. If once you were proven guilty, you were drug out to the street and had your head lopped off by a hooded henchman, it would deter crime big time.


I would have to say I'd rather be executed instead of living in a cage for 30 years. Death row inmates stay in their cells and have very little contact with other people. If they weren't nuts when they when in they are now.

You have to ask yourself this:


What you have to ask yourself is what about the numerous people that have been exonerated that have spent decades on death row or are now in the grave. There is a list here of 142 people since 1973, that's a lot.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocen ... -death-row


I feel confident enough in todays technology and DNA evidence that I accept the small margin for error. Lets face it, most law abiding good citizens dont end up on death row. Those who do may not have actually committed that crime, but there is a good chance they did a lot of bad sh*t in their lives leading up to being arrested for a murder. I think technology today as compared to 1973 is a lot different. Those who think the death penalty should be abolished have never seen the evil men are capable of first hand.

What is strange is if you, the armed citizen, happens upon a murder/rape/serious assault in progress you are within your rights to pull your sidearm and kill them to protect the victims life. But after the fact the state cannot kill them?

And trust me, death row isnt as bad as you think. Inmates are allowed TVs and radio for good behavior, they get books and magazines, they can talk to one another, write letters to friends and family, and are allowed non-contact visits with family members. If death were such a better option for them, a lot more of them would kill themselves. It isnt hard to tie a bed sheet to a bunk and lean into it. They also get to go outside in an exercise pen for some fresh air if they would like. All on your dime.

Nah. I think a $1.00 bullet would save a lot of money and do the victims family some justice. If there are a few casualties, so be it. Chances are if you are a good citizen, you follow the law, and you stay out of places you have no business being in, you wont be tried and convicted of a murder you did not commit.
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Rwalker On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Lightning wrote:I agree Richard, there needs to be definitive - absolute proof that the murder was done by the suspect. Executing innocent people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time is not acceptable... Personally, I think a solution for this would be to have guidelines that detail what definitive and absolute proof would be. With the current technology it seems like this kind of proof would be within reach.


I think a rapists DNA all over and in the victim is MORE then enough evidence for them to ride the lighting...
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Lightning On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Rwalker wrote:ride the lighting...


Nice, Metallica fan - one of their best albums 8-)

I would agree with your hypothetical example :)
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Rwalker wrote:Basically making it legal to murder people now.


Hyperbolic much?

No crime was ever stopped because the person stopped and thought they would get the chair.

If they stopped and thought for a second, they likely wouldn't have committed the crime.

If you can guarantee me 110% that you have the right guy, then MAYBE I'll agree.

We know many people on death row aren't guilty and once you kill a guy, there's no chance of fixing that mistake.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Maryland outlaws death penalty

PostBy: Rwalker On: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:20 pm

Lightning wrote:
Rwalker wrote:ride the lighting...


Nice, Metallica fan - one of their best albums 8-)

I would agree with your hypothetical example :)


I wore out 2 cassettes of Justice For All. Nothing was better in the locker room before a football game then Frayed Ends of Sanity.
Rwalker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 983