Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:50 pm

My neighbor has 1980 Tarm wood, coal boiler. He hasn't burned coal in 5 years ( since he bought the boiler ). He had a new chimney built and the inside dimension is 12" x 12" and his draft is too low for coal. He has to feed the boiler every 4 hours with wood and since he is retired he didn't mind but now he is sick of planning his daily routine around his boiler. His son and his son's friend are E.M.T.'s and are planning on relining his chimney with a S.S. liner this spring so he can burn coal next season. I mentioned to him that some coal burners have wished they had lined their chimney's with clay tiles due to the acidic reaction with fly ash and moister causing holes in the S.S. liner and hence loosing draft as well as a couple thousand dollars! His response was, " my son's buddy say's it is illegal to pay to have your chimney relined with clay tiles and you MUST use S.S. per fire code." My answer was, don't pay them, give them a hefty tip or donation! Any truth to this?
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:43 pm

So, if it's illegal to pay someone to reline the chimney with clay tiles then he should just do it himself.

That is by far, the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Well, ok, maybe not but it's still pretty dumb. I wouldn't put an SS liner in. I had one, it lasted two seasons before it pin holed. My chimney is currently 12x12 18' tall and has a terracotta liner. It also doesn't draft well. So, I put a draft inducer on it.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: Berlin On: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:00 pm

technically, well, yes. but for code to make a construction process illegal is really, really stupid. Code requires that clay tiles be set before each one is completely surrounded by the masonry chase; this in effect, prevents the code-approved relining of chimneys with tile. Like other gov't regulations, codes are not immune from a few powerful companies and interests (in this case stainless liner mfg'rs and "chimney professionals" - many of whom wouldn't cut it w/ traditional stone or masonry chimney work) using the gov't to create laws and regs that benefit themselves.

I would advise two things: 1. check the height of the stack, I've dealt w/ "oversized" flues before, the problem is rarely the flue diameter, but rather the mediocre height of the stack compared to the structure or the draft requirement. 2. If the stack is tall enough (4' above the highest portion of the structure, and at least 18' tall) then forget code - reline with tile, pour vermiculte between the two tiles, and once done, the stack will "meet code" but the process (which no one knows about) will not.
Berlin
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal


Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:So, if it's illegal to pay someone to reline the chimney with clay tiles then he should just do it himself.

That is by far, the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Well, ok, maybe not but it's still pretty dumb. I wouldn't put an SS liner in. I had one, it lasted two seasons before it pin holed. My chimney is currently 12x12 18' tall and has a terracotta liner. It also doesn't draft well. So, I put a draft inducer on it.

I agree, stupid by far and my neighbor thinks his son's buddy is "doin' the right thing", I will tell him about the draft inducer, thanks!
Berlin wrote:technically, well, yes. but for code to make a construction process illegal is really, really stupid. Code requires that clay tiles be set before each one is completely surrounded by the masonry chase; this in effect, prevents the code-approved relining of chimneys with tile. Like other gov't regulations, codes are not immune from a few powerful companies and interests (in this case stainless liner mfg'rs and "chimney professionals" - many of whom wouldn't cut it w/ traditional stone or masonry chimney work) using the gov't to create laws and regs that benefit themselves.

I would advise two things: 1. check the height of the stack, I've dealt w/ "oversized" flues before, the problem is rarely the flue diameter, but rather the mediocre height of the stack compared to the structure or the draft requirement. 2. If the stack is tall enough (4' above the highest portion of the structure, and at least 18' tall) then forget code - reline with tile, pour vermiculte between the two tiles, and once done, the stack will "meet code" but the process (which no one knows about) will not.

His stack is fine he is across the street from me single story ranch and his chimney is 3-4 ft. taller than house same as mine, my flue's are 8x8 terracotta and I pull .04 on a calm day. I could see post inspection of a 100 yr. old chimney that you could see through, that a s.s. liner would be mandatory but his chimney is only 8-10 yrs. old on a new addition. I suppose someone thought bigger was better and he didn't know better. I wish he would get on the sight and find out for himself. You know what they say, blood is thicker than knowledge! :?
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 pm

sorry, double post. :|
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: Lightning On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:39 pm

His draft is too low for coal? What is this assumption based on?? Maybe he just needs to experiment with it some. The AD-1 draft inducer or something similar could solve the problem also. Relining the chimney to resolve the problem should be a last resort in my opinion. What if that doesn't fix it? How high is the chimney?
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: Lightning On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:40 pm

I would advise him to get on the forum and further describe his issues and post pictures. More information is needed.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Lightning wrote:I would advise him to get on the forum and further describe his issues and post pictures. More information is needed.

Sorry for the edit lightning, his chimney is 20 ft. high , with out obstruction on a single story ranch across the street from me. I have been trying to get him on the forum for 3 yrs. He is a great guy, but with the knowledge of everyones experience on the forum, I think he is afraid to tell his son's friend to " DROP THE S.S. LINER AND STEP AWAY FROM MY CHIMNEY " He tried burning coal when he got the boiler and couldn't get a fire going long enough to heat his boiler so he kept burning wood. Others have told him is chimney is to big and should line it with a small diameter to increase draft and his son's friend installs stoves and has him sold on a s.s. liner, oh well I've done my part! Berlin's explanation :( makes sense unfortunately.
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: Berlin On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:41 pm

well, if he's just speculating that his chimney is too big to draft well, that's a big mistake. A stack of the proper height (esp. in relation to the home) should draft well with any reasonable size flue ID. 12/12 is not too big. Lining it with stainless is not only a big mistake because it will fail, it's a waste of money because he doesn't even know if his chimney will work fine as-is. I would wager that his problem w/ coal previously was not knowing how to fire it etc., not necessarily the draft.

Tell his son's stupid friend to come on the forum and explain why a stainless liner is "needed" with coal. :bang:
Berlin
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:51 pm

YEAH!!! what Berlin said & then some :clap: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:57 pm

Berlin wrote:well, if he's just speculating that his chimney is too big to draft well, that's a big mistake. A stack of the proper height (esp. in relation to the home) should draft well with any reasonable size flue ID. 12/12 is not too big. Lining it with stainless is not only a big mistake because it will fail, it's a waste of money because he doesn't even know if his chimney will work fine as-is. I would wager that his problem w/ coal previously was not knowing how to fire it etc., not necessarily the draft.

Tell his son's stupid friend to come on the forum and explain why a stainless liner is "needed" with coal. :bang:


I agree, we in the shadow of Mt. Katahdin and wind is not a problem and I agree about the possibility of not firing the coal properly or maybe another problem that I'm not aware of. How do you tell an E.M.T. fireman in waiting " how to start a fire " not trying to be wise but it is an up hill battle!
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: Lightning On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Well you know what they say about the horse you lead to water. If he can't be convinced to take advise from the wealth of knowledge here, or have a reasonable open mind to consider other options to fix his problem then, bummer lol. I wish him luck.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Berlin wrote:technically, well, yes. but for code to make a construction process illegal is really, really stupid. Code requires that clay tiles be set before each one is completely surrounded by the masonry chase; this in effect, prevents the code-approved relining of chimneys with tile. Like other gov't regulations, codes are not immune from a few powerful companies and interests (in this case stainless liner mfg'rs and "chimney professionals" - many of whom wouldn't cut it w/ traditional stone or masonry chimney work) using the gov't to create laws and regs that benefit themselves.

I would advise two things: 1. check the height of the stack, I've dealt w/ "oversized" flues before, the problem is rarely the flue diameter, but rather the mediocre height of the stack compared to the structure or the draft requirement. 2. If the stack is tall enough (4' above the highest portion of the structure, and at least 18' tall) then forget code - reline with tile, pour vermiculte between the two tiles, and once done, the stack will "meet code" but the process (which no one knows about) will not.


PERFECTLY STATED ABOVE!

Ive seen to many stainless liners fail swiftly as have many folks here, i know the so called "experts" try to sell you on their "bill of goods"... lies,lies,lies...its ALL lies! the chimney Berlin advises above will last your lifetime, the one proposed by the "code" will last no more then 5 years with coal and maybe 15 with wood.
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:42 am

He is not computer savvy and I think they intimidate him, I hate seeing him waste his money but like they say.."a fool and his money are soon parted."
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Help with code regulations for chimney's in Maine.

PostBy: Lightning On: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Aww maybe you could convince him to try coal again before he blows a pile of money on stainless steel. But I understand how it is. I too tried to coach a long time wood burner with coal. He burned a couple tons and went back to wood. I guess he thought cutting splitting stacking and loading every 4 hours was easier than making a few modifications and learning the coal burn. Some people don't like change or are afraid to make a go of it. There is a little more science involved with running a hand fed. Just the other day I was outside and I could hear a chain saw off in the distance. I laughed out loud. My wife asked what was so funny then she realized when I said "hear that saw?"
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash