2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:40 pm

My wife's car is a damn money pit. First the head gaskets, then the control arms, then the radiator, then the A/C, then the purge solenoid, then tires and now....RIMS...WTF?

I've been telling her she needs rims because they are chewed up something fierce. The car before we bought it was in a real bad wreck and all four rims are in bad shape. Well, we put tires on the car two weeks ago and I told her we should've put rims on it too...no no no....too much money is what I heard. Well, guess what....the one tire isn't holding air, it's *censored* flat. WHY? Because the rim is shot. Now she wants to put rims on it.

So, does anyone know of a good resource where one can purchase OEM rims on the cheap? Because...I don't want some fancy $500 rims...just what is on there now.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Nevermind, found a set of OEM's on eBay. Hopefully they are in better shape than what's on there.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: Cap On: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 pm

That 2.5 is notorious for head gaskets. And I believe the engine needs be pulled to fix...
Cap
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator


Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 pm

It doesn't have to be but it sure is easier. Also then t belts and wp and seals and good for another 100k.... ;)
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 pm

Oh, yeah, forgot we had the timing belts and water pump done too.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: Coalfire On: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 pm

the wheels should be fine, seating surface is probably rough, break the bead and put tire paste on will not leak anymore and a whole lot cheaper :idea:



Eric
Coalfire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 pm

^^^ THIS.

The hell with new wheels. Save your money! Break the bead and get that tire off the rim. Then wire wheel or wire brush the entire bead surface of the rim (AND the tire if it's real bad), apply bead sealer to bead, remount, and never leak air again. ;)
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 pm

i assume you have the gold/silver aluminum rims (these are HUGE expensive and they fail). If its me i would buy online some nice custom steel rims and then sell your gold/silver ones (they will sell because they fail so much their is a ton of people who need 1 or 2), they should sell used for $100 each all day long! (about the same as the brand new chromes you buy online ;) )

alternative is you can have them all reseated in a thick bed of that goop stuff they use on alum. rims (i think its some kind of rubber cement they dont use unless you ask for it).
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:38 am

They've sealed the two tires in question a few times. We just put new tires on and they didn't seal them and they are again leaking. I had to put air in two of the four tires yesterday afternoon, one was at 15 pounds and the other was at 18. There is no way in hell brand new tires should be that low in pressure. I put new tires on my Dakota about a year ago and they've held their pressure no problem. I was going to buy steel rims, but they were nearly $200 more expensive than what I paid for the replacement Subaru rims.

I actually kind of hate this car now. I've never had some many stupid issues with a car like I have with this Subaru. I used to love my 1990 Legacy LS. Hell, my brother who has bought nothing but Subaru's for the past 10 years is fed up with all the stupid problems they have.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 am

I'm On Fire wrote:They've sealed the two tires in question a few times. We just put new tires on and they didn't seal them and they are again leaking. I had to put air in two of the four tires yesterday afternoon, one was at 15 pounds and the other was at 18. There is no way in hell brand new tires should be that low in pressure. I put new tires on my Dakota about a year ago and they've held their pressure no problem. I was going to buy steel rims, but they were nearly $200 more expensive than what I paid for the replacement Subaru rims.

I actually kind of hate this car now. I've never had some many stupid issues with a car like I have with this Subaru. I used to love my 1990 Legacy LS. Hell, my brother who has bought nothing but Subaru's for the past 10 years is fed up with all the stupid problems they have.


If you have the gold/silver subiscrew aluminum rims then you can sell those for $100 each no problem and you can buy nice custom steel rims for near the same money! I too have had this issue with 2 subiscrews now and its the first thing id do if ever i had these rims again (its not worth the headaches, money and most of all the unreliability of getting a flat while your out someplace!) get rid of them bro!!! I love Subaru's but not their rims :mad:
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: SMITTY On: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:06 pm

SMITTY wrote:
The hell with new wheels. Save your money! Break the bead and get that tire off the rim. Then wire wheel or wire brush the entire bead surface of the rim (AND the tire if it's real bad), apply bead sealer to bead, remount, and never leak air again. ;)

^^^ THIS^^^ . Trust me. I do this nearly every day for someone. ;)
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:43 pm

SMITTY wrote:
SMITTY wrote:
The hell with new wheels. Save your money! Break the bead and get that tire off the rim. Then wire wheel or wire brush the entire bead surface of the rim (AND the tire if it's real bad), apply bead sealer to bead, remount, and never leak air again. ;)

^^^ THIS^^^ . Trust me. I do this nearly every day for someone. ;)


This should work for any normal non-haunted rim/tire... but im telling you those subaru gold/silver things are possesed by Demon's :mad: they will drive you INSANE! I did everything possible short of welding on tracks to the rims and calling it a tank :lol:
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 pm

How about an inner tube?
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Rob R. wrote:How about an inner tube?


i never did try that... but heck of an idea Rob! might be the cheapest way out that I think would have to work :o Unless the Devil has rasor blades inside those rims :lol:
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport Wheels...

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Rob R. wrote:How about an inner tube?

Do they even make inner tubes for cars anymore?
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator