Rob R. wrote:High stack temp. cooking the paint on the stovepipe is my guess.
I've run cast iron stoves for 34 years and get that smell everytime I start up. Cast Iron is porous and the pores fill up with whatever is around to absorb. Just like the comments about a heating up a recently unused cast iron pan, the moisture flashes out and smells like bacon. A wood fire carries a lot of heat quickly up into the chimney. The entire stove heats up quickly including the stovepipe. This large amount of quickly heating surface evaporates whatever is hanging out in the metals. For a few minutes, it's a pleasant reminder that I'm not burning oil. Trouble is, whenever the oil furnace fires off for the first time, I get a similar smell but that reminds me that I'll be lighting the Vigilant up really soon!