Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:43 pm

You can't buy anything for $80 that will come close to the comfort that little stove will provide. Well done.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: dcrane On: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 pm

here is the last 44 I bought about 6 months ago (I traded the guy some fishing tackle I never used). I buy these up whenever I see them for under a $100 (I could throw this thing off the empire state building and it would still burn coal :lol: )
Attachments
Crane model 44.JPG
(150.76 KiB) Viewed 67 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]42515[/nepathumb]
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: KingCoal918 On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:52 am

I have a Model 88 I picked up on CL for $200 down on the South Shore. I was worried it would be too large for the 320sf workshop I've installed it in. shop walls are insulated and vapor barrier'd, but the loft is open rafters, so I expect a lot of heat loss out of the roof.

While it's been 40° out it does stay a bit warm at ~72°, but last week when it was down to 17° I came out in the morning to find the stove cooking away, and with the stove having been banked for the night, it was still a pleasant 57°.

If anyone is interested, I have a set started on Flickr. Doug Crane commented when I first pulled the stove into the shop back in December last year when I lugged it home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/interrobang918/sets/72157637973252436
KingCoal918
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Coal Cooker Model 88
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:36 am

KingCoal918 wrote:I have a Model 88 I picked up on CL for $200 down on the South Shore. I was worried it would be too large for the 320sf workshop I've installed it in. shop walls are insulated and vapor barrier'd, but the loft is open rafters, so I expect a lot of heat loss out of the roof.

While it's been 40° out it does stay a bit warm at ~72°, but last week when it was down to 17° I came out in the morning to find the stove cooking away, and with the stove having been banked for the night, it was still a pleasant 57°.

If anyone is interested, I have a set started on Flickr. Doug Crane commented when I first pulled the stove into the shop back in December last year when I lugged it home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/interrobang918/sets/72157637973252436


look like your using stove coal (or stove & nut mix in some photos), the grate you have is a nut grate for sure (in good shape too)... the only thing i see is maybe firebrick at some point (though it only look worn at the grate level), maybe you can just "butter up" a lil bit that lower portion with some refractory just to make sure nut coal does not slip past the gap (the stainless ring is not their and maybe why its worn in this area moreso than normal... i never liked the stainless ring anyways). i think just a "butter up" would serve you well to burn nut coal as designed. ;)

Great flickr portfolio!
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: KingCoal918 On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Good eye Doug.

Yes, I'm burning nut and stove. I have access to around 3-4 tons of stove coal in a basement in Milton, free and take it away. Just ordered 100 50lb capacity mesh bags from Uline today and am going to get the mask and shovel out and start to bag it up.

So far it's been working well. I could always break it up a bit if needed. I've noticed some unburned, or harder nut cinder has trapped itself between the grate and the liner on shakedown, and over time, I imagine this is going to further chew away the bottom of the pot.

Is it possible to use stove mud to skim coat it? I had thought of that but figured it was just going to break away. It might not be economically feasible for the small amount required of refractory cement. I'd be interested in trying the stainless ring if any are kicking around. Logically it seems to me that would be a handy addition, though practically maybe not so much.

Any plans of recasting liners? I bet there are a lot of 44s and 88s out there at liner end-of-life after 30 some odd years in service.
KingCoal918
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Coal Cooker Model 88
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:45 pm

KingCoal918 wrote:Good eye Doug.

Yes, I'm burning nut and stove. I have access to around 3-4 tons of stove coal in a basement in Milton, free and take it away. Just ordered 100 50lb capacity mesh bags from Uline today and am going to get the mask and shovel out and start to bag it up.

So far it's been working well. I could always break it up a bit if needed. I've noticed some unburned, or harder nut cinder has trapped itself between the grate and the liner on shakedown, and over time, I imagine this is going to further chew away the bottom of the pot.

Is it possible to use stove mud to skim coat it? I had thought of that but figured it was just going to break away. It might not be economically feasible for the small amount required of refractory cement. I'd be interested in trying the stainless ring if any are kicking around. Logically it seems to me that would be a handy addition, though practically maybe not so much.

Any plans of recasting liners? I bet there are a lot of 44s and 88s out there at liner end-of-life after 30 some odd years in service.


You can patch it and it will fail after some years, i have cast new liners for a couple people (i dont mind doing it, but the refractory used is about $80 per bag)... highly scrape resistant. The stainless ring is simply a hoop made of approx 1"x 1/16" stainless strap (bend it around, weld the seam, done) the cast grate then sits inside this ring to prevent any rubbing on the brick itself (ive though about this and its a crappie design... I would prefer to have 3 centering tabs 1"x1/4" welded onto the "V" brackets (this would keep the grate centered as well as keep it from rubbing brick). In your case currently a ring would be nice because it would help block up that gap... (ill see if i can dig one up for you)

gratz on the free stove coal (i would gladly burn ANY anthracite coal that was free :dancing: ) Stove coal will burn OK in it... just not the temps or the times i could get with it loaded with nut.
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: JimD On: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:13 pm

I enjoy reading this post....Skobydog, the 44 works great! Still ramping up the coal till full for the night. Thanks for selling it to me :)
Doug, thanks for the PM's and the help, you made a great stove for sure, your a wealth of knowledge and a great resource !

I will let you guys know how it goes tonight and how long the burn is, that is as long as I get it all going right and the right amount of air ..... From what I read once I give it the final fill for the night shake it down then dial in the air?

Jim D
JimD
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rare Crane Coal Cooker # 88. And pot bellied coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut coal

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: AcadiaV On: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi guys I'm a 29 year old single mom, I just purchased a house that's 200+ years old and solid brick. 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and the list goes one... This place is 2600 square feet and has 4 fire places that are all original to my house. I am interested in buying a crane coal cooker model 44 to help supplement my heat. My concerns are A: can this type of stove be vented through a fireplace if there is a seal plate installed around the vent pipe? B: If my chimneys are unlined but in good shape, is it safe to use without a liner? I know coal doesn't produce creosote but is there anything else I need to worry about? Lastly C: Is this stove easy to use? I have no experience using coal other then in my Vermont castings stove to get it to burn through the night. Thank you in advance for your help

Acadia
Attachments
image.jpg
(186.71 KiB) Viewed 12 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]60775[/nepathumb]
AcadiaV
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 44 coal cooker

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: ONEDOLLAR On: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:53 am

HI! Welcome!!! What part of the good ole USA are you in? I saw a 44 for sale today in the Boston are on Craigslist is the reason I ask. I think it was around $150.

Also CLAY LINED chimneys are usually the best. No need to spend money of having them lined. That is assuming the Chimney is in good shape of course.

The 44 is a good stove, easy to use and will serve you well. And yes it can be vented through a fireplace. Assuming the fireplace will allow for everything to fit. I suspect it will..

Hope this helps a bit. I am sure other will chime in as well and help you out with more detailed info when it comes to Crane 44's. :D Again, WELCOME and don't be shy about asking questions. This board has 1000's of years of coal burning experiance on it and people love helping each other out here.

ciao!
Mark
ONEDOLLAR
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford #2 Base Heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: AcadiaV On: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:08 am

Mark,

I don't think the chimneys are lined at all, just brick but it's all intact. I live in NH close to Concord. I love it here very peaceful and a country setting but close enough to concord so everything is not too long of a drive. I actually bought my house from a woman who was elderly and no longer living there. She moved in with her son because she couldn't afford to heat it. She was using over 1300 gallons of oil a year and that was after putting in a brand new furnace. She was also about to lose the home to tax sale. I bought it with 1.5 acres for $34,000 with everything included because she didn't want to bother with moving. Her family owned the home for over 100 years so it included some pretty nice antiques. The home has 4 fireplaces but one if them is behind a wall now. The other three have no dampers and were wide open so I'm assuming that's why her heating bill was so expensive because it hasn't been nearly that bad for me since I sealed off the chimneys with silicone caulking and sheet metal. There is also no insulation but the house is three layers thick of solid brick so it's not drafty other then the addition, which has no insulation. I have to say I'm super excited to get one of these amazing little stoves. I'm buying one on Saturday that's in very nice shape. There is also one listed on NN Craig's list that is brand new and has never been hooked up. The guy is asking $400 but it's a factory second so it has a defect.
AcadiaV
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 44 coal cooker

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: AcadiaV On: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:19 am

Can someone please post a picture of what the grate is supposed to look like? I have seen two versions. Thank you!
AcadiaV
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 44 coal cooker

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: D-frost On: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:41 am

AcadiaV,
Welcome to NEPA Crossroads. Beautiful brick house with lots of chimneys-can't ask for more. The never been fired '44', has been on CL for a couple years. If it's the same stove, from a dealer near Plymouth, N.H.
There is a 'Search' box at the top right. If you search 'Crane 44', I think you will find the info your looking for.
Cheers
D-frost
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/Reading anthracite
Other Heating: Jotul #118 wood burner

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: JimD On: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:50 am

Hi...I have a crane 88 the bigger version of the 44...although they are great stoves they are a lot of work. They are finiky...if I was to buy another one I would get one that self feeds and with a blower.. to rely on that 44 to heat that size house you have to play with it a lot....
JimD
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rare Crane Coal Cooker # 88. And pot bellied coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut coal

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:09 am

JimD wrote:Hi...I have a crane 88 the bigger version of the 44...although they are great stoves they are a lot of work. They are finiky...if I was to buy another one I would get one that self feeds and with a blower.. to rely on that 44 to heat that size house you have to play with it a lot....

Agreed^^^...I think AcaidiaV needs to start her own thread and see if there is a way to tie into an existing system or a much bigger unit. I owned an antique and they can be a challenge to heat with a space heater. those 4 fireplaces weren't all for cookin' ;)
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove, vogelzang pot belly coat rack
Coal Size/Type: Tractor supply Kimmels 'nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Crane Coal Cooker Model 44 BTU or Square Feet Coverage

PostBy: JimD On: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:17 am

Easier is better
JimD
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rare Crane Coal Cooker # 88. And pot bellied coal stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut coal