Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:34 am

And when the smoke--no pun intended-- clears---that's the bottom line my friend--your chimney, your choice. All we can do on here is share our experience. :)
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: Wiz On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:20 pm

freetown fred wrote:And when the smoke--no pun intended-- clears---that's the bottom line my friend--your chimney, your choice. All we can do on here is share our experience. :)

You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink it.
Wiz
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Most calls I get when I hear poor draft it is an non insulated liner. If you feel you must go with a liner at least get the insulated liner. I always prefer not going with one but everyone has there reasons.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer


Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: DePippo79 On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Funny thing happened. Took dog for walk and noticed someone working on my neighbors stone wall. Introduced myself and turns out he's a retired mason. Asked him if he would be interested in looking at my chimney and doing the thimble, patch, and repointing work. He said he'll come take a look when he's done with neighbors job. I'll keep you all posted. Talk about right place, right time.
DePippo79
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: Berlin On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:28 pm

There's NO reason to line that stack. The "reasons" your "chimney professional" gave you to line the stack demonstrate his complete ineptitude. This kind of ignorance wanton or otherwise is common with the "chimney professionals" because they only don't have an incentive to understand chimney's when throwing a liner in every stack makes them money. It's one thing to waste money on a liner that does nothing positive for you, it's worse to continue giving business to these peddlers of myths and nonsense.
Berlin
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Nice DP--there's a lot of us old knowledgeable guys out here looking to supplement our SS--SOB's found my pot harvest last year. :bag: :clap: toothy
DePippo79 wrote:Funny thing happened. Took dog for walk and noticed someone working on my neighbors stone wall. Introduced myself and turns out he's a retired mason. Asked him if he would be interested in looking at my chimney and doing the thimble, patch, and repointing work. He said he'll come take a look when he's done with neighbors job. I'll keep you all posted. Talk about right place, right time.
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: Lightning On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Berlin knows his stuff when it comes to chimneys. He helped advise me about mine and I'm very happy I listened. 8-)
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Im not reading through this whole thread so im probably re-iterating what others are surely screaming out to you... If your burning coal stick with the clay liner period! their is no lifetime warranty on a stainless liner!!! (they will force you to pay crazy money every year to have it cleaned, they will not include re-install or removal if it does fail, its 100% their discretion if they say "opps, sir we feel you burned a lil' chunk of coal or you used a firestarter log one time and that voids your warranty"). at any rate... their is no lifetime warranty for wood or coal (they lie because your going to pay for it one way or the other).

Stick with the clay and butter it up or repair it if you need (its your best and ironically your least expensive option :lol: would a thunk it :lol: !)
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Berlin wrote:There's NO reason to line that stack. The "reasons" your "chimney professional" gave you to line the stack demonstrate his complete ineptitude. This kind of ignorance wanton or otherwise is common with the "chimney professionals" because they only don't have an incentive to understand chimney's when throwing a liner in every stack makes them money. It's one thing to waste money on a liner that does nothing positive for you, it's worse to continue giving business to these peddlers of myths and nonsense.


truer words have never been spoken ^^^ :punk: Its fun seeing a Mod even more outspoken than me :lol: TY Berlin
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: DePippo79 On: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 am

Hey guys, good news. My neighbors mason can't work on there wall today because its raining so he's installing my thimble and cleanout as we speak. Good news in the kitchen too. Looks like the old stove hole was patched the right way. Think the plywood was just to support the cement while it set up. Also looks like the chimney was skim coated from the cellar floor to attic so I should be okay with any leaks. Glad I did my homework and thinks for all your help. One more headache over. Take care. Matt
DePippo79
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:06 am

OUTSTANDING Matt-- :)
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: Rob R. On: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 am

Sounds like it worked out well for everyone, and you kept your business close to home...nice!
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: Lightning On: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:23 pm

And the money you saved not getting the liner will probably buy nearly a whole years worth of coal lol
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Size Mix

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: blrman07 On: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 am

Another satisfied customer on the board!! :punk:
blrman07
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: rebuilding a 1906 March Brownback Double Heater, using a UMCO 1920's Pot Belly stove in the church
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

Re: Stainless steel liner or thermocrete.

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 pm

freetown fred wrote:Nice DP--there's a lot of us old knowledgeable guys out here looking to supplement our SS--SOB's found my pot harvest last year. :bag: :clap: toothy



OOOops sorry was that yours. Damn. :D





And Matt, Glad it worked out for you. You will be much happier.
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer