Warm air will float up along the ceiling of the stair case while cool air will cascade down the stairs at the same time.
Agreed, that happens in my house and when it happens (it's an intermittent phenomena) it's very interesting and powerful. Also, I would not be so quick to abandon the Pocono in the garage. Large quantities of flammable vapors should be avoided in a home no matter where as there is also toxicity to consider and flammable clouds will creep elsewhere. If you intend to work from home then I suggest a little effort needs to be made here. I would powervent through a window and then moving the stove is simple so you can play it both ways. Open or take out the window 3/4" CDX over the window hole, type 2 mat (if needed) on the floor and bingo - heat. Of course, watch clearances etc. and use common sense. Do a more permanent install once you have played for a winter or two. No rust over the humid summer either, remove CDX and just put the window back in. Love those powervents.
BTW, I love the smell of my diesel Lister engines and would be happy to live next to them as the sound and the smell of those beauties is soporific. However, wife goes bonkers if even one drop of HO/diesel comes in one me and to sleep in a bedroom with residual vapors would be a no no. Different strokes for different folks.
and don't forget the coal burners bible... for examplehttp://www.lowes.com/pd_304230-347-CO60 ... facetInfo=
Everywhere in your new set up. Of course smoke/temp as well but CO detection is a MUST. Test regularly. Carbon monoxide (CO) is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America,http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Alert-E ... r/10099167
This might also be interesting in the workshop, personally I would not trust that one to protect me. Kidde has one too that goes off everytime a hairspray is used -annoying.