Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Can anyone find info, pics, manuals, ads or anything else on a Fuller & Warren #100 ?

I have personally never seen quality like this before, and I've never seen a smaller baseburner than this (Its stands a mighty 3 feet tall! Firepot is 10" inside to inside dia., flu collar is 4.5")
It has detail, features and controls that are gonna knock your sox off! toothy
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: grumpy On: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Anything like this?

Fuller and Warren Stove
grumpy
 

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: dcrane On: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:00 pm

grumpy wrote:Anything like this?

Fuller and Warren Stove


Nope... not even close, here is a pic looking at the side of it (It has 6 Mica doors, cast suspended firepot, cast magazine with autoload door, switches and levers and flappers and floppers and access points all over it) and its a legit baseburner that stands only 3' tall) is it a salesmens sample or something? WHERES WILLIAM! :cry:
looking at left side.JPG
(166.67 KiB) Viewed 63 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43210[/nepathumb]
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:25 am

more pics for William to tell me how to run this silly stove toothy
Attachments
bottom plate of ash area.JPG
(133.96 KiB) Viewed 11 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43230[/nepathumb]
lower rear behind lifted firepot.JPG
(157.47 KiB) Viewed 11 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43231[/nepathumb]
upper rear above firepot.JPG
(154.1 KiB) Viewed 14 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43232[/nepathumb]
front doors off looking at firepot and magazine.JPG
(171.45 KiB) Viewed 33 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43233[/nepathumb]
Top dome auto opens and holds coal fill.JPG
(154.87 KiB) Viewed 18 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43234[/nepathumb]
rear of stove cleanout and flu collar.JPG
(160.17 KiB) Viewed 29 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43235[/nepathumb]
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:27 am

more photo's
Attachments
Gate held midway.JPG
(83.74 KiB) Viewed 20 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43236[/nepathumb]
from bottom under ash area BaseHeat.JPG
(145.61 KiB) Viewed 15 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43237[/nepathumb]
broken finial.JPG
(153.52 KiB) Viewed 13 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43238[/nepathumb]
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: coalnewbie On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:48 am

Now that is a cutie, congrats on the find.
coalnewbie
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 110K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, Jotul 507
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Invader 2
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 am

coalnewbie wrote:Now that is a cutie, congrats on the find.


It was listed at $3k initially, then $1k... then I explained reality toothy (It never ceases to amaze me that people sometimes cant grasp the difference between restored "Mint State" antiques VS. "as is"), they see stoves priced at a restoration shop for $3,000 and they immediately think their stove is the same :doh: Its getting harder and harder to find the "as is" deals for $200.00 (the work required to rebuild these things is absolutely insane to a point were the labor alone is worth thousands before you even get to a plater or foundry!)

This one interested me because it has all the detail and quality I want in such a small package (It will be more like working on my lil' Kero heaters :clap: ), I can lay all the parts on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and I can use it in a small 800 sq' house when the time comes yet I will have all the character, charm and quality of any of these works of art.

I will be able to repair the finial because of my background in welding, The castings are all fine (the firepot, magazine, grate are like brand new!), the only problem or $$$ issues will be re-plating all the nickel (Every piece that is nickeled needs to be done :( ) If anyone can recommend someplace on the south shore of Ma. that would be a great help!
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: michaelanthony On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 am

Nice find doug, I am curios if the size of that stove had anything to do with people that lived in major cities and had townhouse style homes similur to beacon hill and back bay in boston and required more confined space yet quality and looks that are appealing. She is a cutie indeed!
michaelanthony
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box, vogelzang pot belly
Coal Size/Type: Pea, and a little nut
Other Heating: Very cold FHA oil furnace

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: nortcan On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:24 am

Very good Doug, nice restoration project. Are you planning to use it for this Winter?
On the photos,( BTW thanks for sharing) I don't see the base's legs. That could explain the 1 or 2 missing feet on the height :D
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 am

nortcan wrote:Very good Doug, nice restoration project. Are you planning to use it for this Winter?
On the photos,( BTW thanks for sharing) I don't see the base's legs. That could explain the 1 or 2 missing feet on the height :D


as requested... I included the height of the base in my 3 foot calculation! toothy (I did not include the finial)
base.JPG
(136 KiB) Viewed 14 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43242[/nepathumb]


I guess this came out of a huge wealthy Victorian home near Boston (the guy took it in trade for some work).
It must have been a heater for one large room or something (though I will say for its size it does have a 10" firepot so I suppose it can throw some heat if needed)
It also has little doors built into the lower section of the upper doors on all 3 sides (im not sure what they are for? id be interested in hearing from William about this lil' beauty).
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: franco b On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:52 am

Put coal in top; take ashes out bottom. Easy peasy.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:18 am

franco b wrote:Put coal in top; take ashes out bottom. Easy peasy.


Touche Franco! but this things got flippers & flappers & vents & airways & levers that baffle me! Example: whats the vents on each top door for? whats the removable plate on the bottom of the ash chamber for (only clean out?), why dont I see ability on this stove to feed hot exhast directly into the ash area (I see it seemingly be let in behind the firepot at the mid section & the base deffinatly has a heat exchanger compartment under the ash area)? I would gather their must be interior channels that lead the hot exhast down and around that chamber and then back up to that area behind the firepot to then allow it back in directly at the midway level of the firepot to give the coal bed ability to burn at extreemly low temps.
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: franco b On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 am

dcrane wrote: I would gather their must be interior channels that lead the hot exhast down and around that chamber and then back up to that area behind the firepot to then allow it back in directly at the midway level of the firepot to give the coal bed ability to burn at extreemly low temps.

It would not let it back in because there is negative pressure there. When open gasses from fire pot go straight out with out circulating under ash pan. You can balance the circulation.
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: wsherrick On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 pm

This is a single room heater for an apartment. I would date this from the late 1880's, early 1890's. It is remarkable because this stove has a magazine and a base heating system all packed into such a small package. As far as all the levers go; it should have a primary air damper, a secondary damper somewhere (these could be put in strange places because of the multi door design), the base heating control valve and a check damper.

The plate on the bottom under the ash pan is a clean out. Obviously this plate stays in place while the stove is running. You have a primary damper in the ash pit door like any stove and then the sliding valve at the top of the fire pot pictured here is the base heating valve. When it is open the stove is in direct draft. When closed it is in base heating mode, as you can see the open space to the left of that sliding valve goes down. That's the beginning of the path downward for the exhaust to go down and around the u shaped passage under the ash pan. Then it comes back up directly on the right BEHIND the sliding valve, then goes out the back collar.

Oh, one more thing. Get that grate copied. You're not going to find another one in a million years. Put the original away to keep as a template when you need a new one cast in the future.
wsherrick
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Info on a BaseBurner Never before seen...

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:51 pm

wsherrick wrote:This is a single room heater for an apartment. I would date this from the late 1880's, early 1890's. It is remarkable because this stove has a magazine and a base heating system all packed into such a small package. As far as all the levers go; it should have a primary air damper, a secondary damper somewhere (these could be put in strange places because of the multi door design), the base heating control valve and a check damper.

The plate on the bottom under the ash pan is a clean out. Obviously this plate stays in place while the stove is running. You have a primary damper in the ash pit door like any stove and then the sliding valve at the top of the fire pot pictured here is the base heating valve. When it is open the stove is in direct draft. When closed it is in base heating mode, as you can see the open space to the left of that sliding valve goes down. That's the beginning of the path downward for the exhaust to go down and around the u shaped passage under the ash pan. Then it comes back up directly on the right BEHIND the sliding valve, then goes out the back collar.

Oh, one more thing. Get that grate copied. You're not going to find another one in a million years. Put the original away to keep as a template when you need a new one cast in the future.


Finally got some attention from Wil :clap: I was so excited driving back from Conn. just to show him what I gots! :dancing:
Ahhhh Haaa... started taking it apart and William is absolutely right... Their's a long W shaped channel under the ash pit that feeds that hot under around and back up into the stove :shock: William what are these lil' opening doorways just below the lower side doors (when open there about 1 inch long by 1/2 inch wide)? wouldn't the primary draft control allow for all I would ever wish?

I need a nickel plater!!! If anyone has any leads :cry:
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Visit Hitzer Stoves