Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: plumb-r On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:46 pm

I think it's a nice simple design. He gave it a kiss. (Keep It Simple Stupid). A friend of mine has a Harman pellet furnace, a ducted whole house job and his ash pan is half the size of the one in my Hitzer 608 stoker stove. My ash pan is good for maybe 80-90 lbs of coal before I have to empty it. His Harman can burn a pallet load of pellets before his ash pan needs dumped. Also if you notice where the primary air is on the Wiseway stove, it looks to me that the ash would build up enough to block off the primary air, thus killing the fire. I guess UL will fail it if fire can creep up the feed chute. :)
plumb-r
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 Energy Master I Stoker

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:04 pm

lsayre wrote:Given the size of the ash pan, pellets must have very little ash.


I have a wood pellet insert that I only run occasionally. I used to heat the house with it lol. Three 40 pound bags generate about 2 cups of very lite powdery ash. Maybe 2 pounds worth at most.
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Lightning wrote:
lsayre wrote:Given the size of the ash pan, pellets must have very little ash.


I have a wood pellet insert that I only run occasionally. I used to heat the house with it lol. Three 40 pound bags generate about 2 cups of very lite powdery ash. Maybe 2 pounds worth at most.


Amazing!
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)


Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: wsherrick On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:07 pm

I thought it was funny that when he shows us the check damper on this contraption he says that it is a feature that wouldn't be seen on any other stove. Apparently he hasn't seen too many real stoves. People designing stoves should study actual stove design first.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: Lightning On: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Less than 1% ash.
Attachments
20130819_204214.jpg
(119.25 KiB) Viewed 5 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]43259[/nepathumb]
Lightning
 
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1537G
Coal Size/Type: Nut Size / White Ash

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: blrman07 On: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:38 am

Nobody really trashed the design or the functionality of this stove. Appears that the numbers may be bit fuzzy but the design appears to be fairly solid for a smaller heating load.
blrman07
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: installing a VC 2310
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: dcrane On: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 am

blrman07 wrote:Nobody really trashed the design or the functionality of this stove. Appears that the numbers may be bit fuzzy but the design appears to be fairly solid for a smaller heating load.


I did! :mad3: LOL... but I guess if I wish to heat up my chimney really good its a winner! toothy
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: whistlenut On: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:16 am

This burner has been around for some time, so I for one will see how the acceptance goes with mainstream folks. It just may serve the needs of many.....time will tell. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :!:
whistlenut
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:15 pm

dcrane wrote:I personally think its ridiculous (their I said it)... god forbid you forget to empty that ash pan...think of the chain effect :blowup: until the hopper is ablaze and the 2 inch clearance becomes infinity because your house is gone and all that's left standing is some funky lookin Z for Zorro sitting amidst the ashes :lol:


It'd be a glowing red "Z" at that point because the house has managed to heat it up good.

I'm with you. It's ridiculous. Might be good for a camp site or a cabin but not for a home; if that.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: whistlenut On: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:17 pm

We all seem to forget that he is from Oregon, and I have never learned of any huge Anthracite reserves in that part of the world. If it works for them, I'm happy.........It is sure better than suffering with the arm wrestling we do with the damned oil spout every year. :idea: :idea:
whistlenut
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: rockwood On: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:18 pm

franco b wrote:Stack temps. very high, not enough heat exchange surface.

wsherrick wrote:I thought it was funny that when he shows us the check damper on this contraption he says that it is a feature that wouldn't be seen on any other stove. Apparently he hasn't seen too many real stoves. People designing stoves should study actual stove design first.


I had those same thoughts come to mind as I watched the video.

I don't like the idea of not being able to easily clean ash/creosote accumulation out of those passages (could easily remedy that though) but I admit this is a pretty creative contraption that I would enjoy playing around with. :oops:
rockwood
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic coal furnace
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Soft coal: Lump and stoker (slack coal)

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: dcrane On: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:22 pm

rockwood wrote:
franco b wrote:Stack temps. very high, not enough heat exchange surface.

wsherrick wrote:I thought it was funny that when he shows us the check damper on this contraption he says that it is a feature that wouldn't be seen on any other stove. Apparently he hasn't seen too many real stoves. People designing stoves should study actual stove design first.


I had those same thoughts come to mind as I watched the video.

I don't like the idea of not being able to easily clean ash/creosote accumulation out of those passages (could easily remedy that though) but I admit this is a pretty creative contraption that I would enjoy playing around with. :oops:


that's my take on it too... I want one to play with but would not use it for heating anything just yet LOL
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: lsayre On: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:31 pm

dcrane wrote:that's my take on it too... I want one to play with but would not use it for heating anything just yet LOL


The question of the day is: What does one of these babies cost?
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (if I ever get it fixed)

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: franco b On: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:16 pm

lsayre wrote:
dcrane wrote:that's my take on it too... I want one to play with but would not use it for heating anything just yet LOL


The question of the day is: What does one of these babies cost?

I seem to remember $1500
franco b
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Re: Pellet Stove uses no electricity!

PostBy: vermontday On: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:58 pm

You would want at least one Heatalator on the exhaust stack.
vermontday
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520