Annual flu shots

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:14 pm

It sure seems that way sometimes. Probably comes from our ABUSIVE updraggins-- :whistle: :clap: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Well, we were at a local fall festival today and CVS had a booth set up for flu shots. My wife is mandated to get one being that she is in nursing school so she went to talk to them.

With no insurance, she got the 4 virus shot. If we had had insurance, she would have only gotten the 3 virus version.

The reason? As explained by the staff, "The state gives us shots for people with no insurance and this is what they gave us."

No reaction to the shot but that was expected. Let's see if she gets flu this year....
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: gunloader55 On: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Getting mine next week,started after 3rd of 5 heart attacks don't want flu to take me out.But never had the flu either maybe its a crap shoot.
gunloader55
 
Stove/Furnace Model: Glenwood 6 & wm 414a


Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: Davian On: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I always get it every year...from the VA clinic or my work (depending which is more convenient). Getting the flu sucks.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: CapeCoaler On: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Gotta get them because of all the babies at home...
When I worked in the elementry schools I never got sick...
After the first year...
All those germy keyboards inoculated me but good... ;)
The wife has to get it...
Being a nurse and all...
CapeCoaler
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: anthony7812 On: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:32 am

jpete wrote:Well, we were at a local fall festival today and CVS had a booth set up for flu shots. My wife is mandated to get one being that she is in nursing school so she went to talk to them.

With no insurance, she got the 4 virus shot. If we had had insurance, she would have only gotten the 3 virus version.

The reason? As explained by the staff, "The state gives us shots for people with no insurance and this is what they gave us."

No reaction to the shot but that was expected. Let's see if she gets flu this year....


Great for you guys but Im sorry thats BULLSHIT!! Affordable care act really means if you already pay for insurance congratulations your also now being billed higher. No PUN jpete its the system, everyone needing should get but it chaps my ass when for example I go to dr and get a 100 bill(this is what the insurance dont cover) then my father in law goes with no insurance and gets a 90 dollar bill from same dr office for same type of exam. WTF!
anthony7812
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Nut/Anthracite

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: Freddy On: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:50 am

I got my flu shot yesterday at a Walgreens. I also opted for the shingles shot. So far no side effects, but the "shingles arm" hurts a bit today. I had a friend that got the shingles some years back. Honestly, she wished to die. Awful, awful pain.

I had the flu 8 or 12 years ago. I was SO sick for 2 full weeks. Never in my life been so sore, so weak. I hope to never, ever go back there again. The idea that having the flu makes you immune to that strain doesn't hold much water for me. The flu strains never repeat themselves from year to year so it doesn't matter if you gain immunity by having it.

The pneumonia shot is good for 5 years, the shingle shot is good for life. Odd.... you can get them together, or 6 weeks apart. (but not a week or two apart. Odd.)
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: Davian On: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14 am

Shingles hurts like a motherfvcker...you don't ever want that pain. Well worth getting a booster vaccination than getting it. I had in 3 years ago and it was a "mild" case per my doctor. That really, really, really, really hurt. Made my back pain feel like nothing. It's that deep kind of pain too...nothing can touch it...it basically feels like you are continually getting stabbed for several weeks. Not enjoyable.

The problem with the flu shot is that it's just an educated guess by the producer as to what strains will be prevalent in the next year so you only get partial coverage...still it's better than nothing, especially considering how many "at risk" people get the flu and then develop pneumonia which is quite deadly.
Davian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Morso
Stove/Furnace Model: 1410 Squirrel

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:24 pm

anthony7812 wrote:
jpete wrote:Well, we were at a local fall festival today and CVS had a booth set up for flu shots. My wife is mandated to get one being that she is in nursing school so she went to talk to them.

With no insurance, she got the 4 virus shot. If we had had insurance, she would have only gotten the 3 virus version.

The reason? As explained by the staff, "The state gives us shots for people with no insurance and this is what they gave us."

No reaction to the shot but that was expected. Let's see if she gets flu this year....


Great for you guys but Im sorry thats BULLSHIT!! Affordable care act really means if you already pay for insurance congratulations your also now being billed higher. No PUN jpete its the system, everyone needing should get but it chaps my ass when for example I go to dr and get a 100 bill(this is what the insurance dont cover) then my father in law goes with no insurance and gets a 90 dollar bill from same dr office for same type of exam. WTF!


I'm with you. I literally just got my new insurance cards after not having insurance since 2011 when I got laid off.

I paid out of pocket for two years and I honestly don't know why I'm paying for insurance. My wife went to get her annual checkup including blood work and they sent us a bill for around $800. She called and asked if there was anything they could do because we were self pay and they said "Sure. We'll send another bill". The new bill came for $180.

But my company is playing the game. My cost for insurance for just me and my wife is $299/mo. For just me and the kids, it's $155/mo. If I want a family plan, it's $700/mo.

So if you do the math, I could cover everybody including myself TWICE for $454 but they won't let you do that. Naturally. They want me to refuse insurance and go on my own. I'm locked in now for the year but we'll see what the ACA does.

Ted Cruz is filibustering as we speak. Not that I expect anything to come of it mind you. And even if they overturned it tomorrow, do you think the rates would go down? :no2:
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Freddy wrote:I got my flu shot yesterday at a Walgreens. I also opted for the shingles shot. So far no side effects, but the "shingles arm" hurts a bit today. I had a friend that got the shingles some years back. Honestly, she wished to die. Awful, awful pain.

I had the flu 8 or 12 years ago. I was SO sick for 2 full weeks. Never in my life been so sore, so weak. I hope to never, ever go back there again. The idea that having the flu makes you immune to that strain doesn't hold much water for me. The flu strains never repeat themselves from year to year so it doesn't matter if you gain immunity by having it.

The pneumonia shot is good for 5 years, the shingle shot is good for life. Odd.... you can get them together, or 6 weeks apart. (but not a week or two apart. Odd.)


Remember "swine flu" from a couple years back? That was strain H1N1. The odd thing was, it didn't affect older people like other flu's do.

Maybe because H1N1 came around in the 50's so many people were exposed then and then a little thing you may have heard about back around 1912...."Spanish Flu"?

Yup...H1N1 as well. It seems that if two people who had flu married and had kids, they were able to pass on resistance to the children.

What's going to happen when all these people who religiously got flu shots today get older and don't have any resistance to the flu?

Sounds like a built in customer base for Big Pharma to me.

And heaven help us if these flu's start to mutate and become like the antibiotic bugs floating around out there. We might be helping ourselves in the short run only to shoot ourselves in the foot 50 years from now.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Davian wrote:Shingles hurts like a motherfvcker...you don't ever want that pain. Well worth getting a booster vaccination than getting it. I had in 3 years ago and it was a "mild" case per my doctor. That really, really, really, really hurt. Made my back pain feel like nothing. It's that deep kind of pain too...nothing can touch it...it basically feels like you are continually getting stabbed for several weeks. Not enjoyable.

The problem with the flu shot is that it's just an educated guess by the producer as to what strains will be prevalent in the next year so you only get partial coverage...still it's better than nothing, especially considering how many "at risk" people get the flu and then develop pneumonia which is quite deadly.


I never had chicken pox(that I'm aware of) so I was pretty confident I wasn't going to have shingles later.

Unfortunately, one of my kids was suspected of having chicken pox so as a precaution, I got the vaccine(varicella).

Turns out, he didn't have the pox and no doctor or pharmacist yet can tell me if I'm at risk for shingles now. Guess I'll have to wait and see...
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: warminmn On: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:45 pm

We are a lot more likely to get sick or even die without getting the flu shot then we are if we get it. Its an easy choice for me, I get it. Ive yet to get the flu since I started getting the shot many years ago, except a mild case of porky pig flu cuz shots werent out yet at the time I caught it. I had a sick parent so didnt want to give any flu to her so started getting shots.

But I respect everyones right to refuse to get it and understand the reasons. I hope they never force these things without choice
warminmn
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite. Soft coal
Other Heating: wood

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: Freddy On: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:06 am

warminmn wrote:I hope they never force these things without choice


Bingo! For sure, I highly respect any adult that chooses to not get shots....but I do firmly believe in the science and it doesn't bother me that children's early vaccinations are mandatory. Science has proven itself worthy many times over, but also, science has had it's share of mistakes.... back in the 70's when they bungled the flu shots....wasn't that the swine flu? I remember we traveled 50 miles to get shot #1, but they canceled shot #2....and maybe it was supposed to be a 3 shot series? I can't remember, but I do remember a nation scared of the illness, and more scared of the shots.
Freddy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: dcrane On: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:21 am

Ok folks... I discovered a couple things of importance

#1 the 4 strain shot (the good one) is only available at Walgreen's. I called RiteAid and they had the nerve to say "the 4 strain is not available yet", I then said... I know a friend out of state who got it, they then said "its not available in Mass." (Lies, Lies and MORE LIES!). so... if anyone is getting the flu shot make sure your getting the good one (4 strain) which comes in its own sealed syringe/needle and if your having trouble finding it call Walgreens!

#2 This is the first & last flu shot I'm getting :mad3: within a few hours of the shot I feel "weird" (eyes burning a little, funny taste in sinuses/back of throat, nasal passages a little swollen, slightly dizzy and tired, arm they gave shot in is a little sore (I don't really care about the soreness as that's nothing but wanted to note it here).

I'm up this morning and I thought for sure I'd be waking up sick as all heck, but I'm not... I will see how it goes over the next few days and report back. But their ARE defiantly side effects to this shot with me anyway! (They LIED to me!) :taz:
dcrane
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Re: Annual flu shots

PostBy: freetown fred On: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:16 am

Got the 4 virus shot yesterday AM-- Medicare covered it--no reaction so far, soooo, I think I'm good to go. I think I'll go into Town & find a bunch of sick people (Elem. School seems like a good choice) just to make sure it's working properly. :stretcher: :clap: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix